Weight Loss & Cardio/Strength - Starving

Options
For the last 3 weeks i have been working out like mad ... 4-5 a week of cardio kickboxing (i.e. high cardio with hitting the bag for an hrs). Trying so hard to stick to my 1580 a day, however, this last week i have been dying! I want to eat the walls & having a hard time curbing the hunger... Any ideas??

P.S. if I work out and say burn 600cal & my overall day calories is 1580 = 2180 calores a day ... does that mean i need to get closer to 2180 or do I stick to under 1580 as per what myfitnesspal recommends???

thanks

michael

Replies

• _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    you can eat the calories you burned thats the way MFP is set up :) EAT UP!! :)
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    If you're starving, eat closer to the 2180. MFP is designed for you to eat back your exercise calories.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's the way MFP is set up....log your exercise and enjoy the extra calories!! :)

At 1580 you're already at a deficit. If you burn 'em, you earn 'em!
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body, Eat!
  • andibswanson
    andibswanson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would make sure you have a Protein Shake immediately following your work outs. That is so important to get that protein back in to your system and the protein is what aids in building lean muscle mass. I personally us Optimum Nutrition Gold Stand Whey Protein Powder and it is awesome and helps with the hunger.
  • debbiekuhn123
    debbiekuhn123 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you to the person posting this, i understand how this site works now, I must be in starvation mode, & a I got told by someone on here what im doing is fine.. how wrong people can be with giving out wrong information.
  • mgervasi
    Options
    Thanks all, however, this week i am starving @ all times!!! For example yesterday i didn't work out but was starving & clearly the peanut butter sandwich yesterday put me @ least 150 cal over my 1580 ... Is it just my body regenerating from my tuesday work out???
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, however, this week i am starving @ all times!!! For example yesterday i didn't work out but was starving & clearly the peanut butter sandwich yesterday put me @ least 150 cal over my 1580 ... Is it just my body regenerating from my tuesday work out???

I would say yes. If I do a heavy workout session and don't eat back my exercise calories I will be starving the next day.
  • convictushome
    Options
    I think the consensus is to eat, but this really comes to a problem that I'm having with MFP. It doesn't give you calories for strength training. I'm very positive that I burn more kcal/hr lifting than moderate cardio does but I get no credit for it. To avoid feeling beat down my protein is 30%, but I'm following a body building regiment. The stuff I'm reading tells me that 185g/day is still low for both my current and my target mass. The MFP is aimed for the weight loss crowd not necessarily body sculpting/transformation crowd. Either way it's an effective tool for tracking the things you want to track, you may have to admit your goals are counter to what theirs are and customize it to your needs. For instance I just figured out how to add metrics I want to track, bicep and thigh circumference ect. It's a tool giving you suggestions, customize it to suit your needs.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Yes. I am hungriest on my rest days sometimes, when I've been working out very hard. I'm sure it's just my body trying to replenish. I often just forgo having a calorie deficit on those days. I am still losing weight consistently, and losing inches. (and gaining strength and speed.) Don't be afraid to fuel with what your body needs.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    convictushome to get calories for strength training, you have to also add it under "cardio" (there's a strength training exercise there). a bit counterintuitive since by definition strength training is not cardio...
  • no2snacking
    Options
    I think the consensus is to eat, but this really comes to a problem that I'm having with MFP. It doesn't give you calories for strength training. I'm very positive that I burn more kcal/hr lifting than moderate cardio does but I get no credit for it. To avoid feeling beat down my protein is 30%, but I'm following a body building regiment. The stuff I'm reading tells me that 185g/day is still low for both my current and my target mass. The MFP is aimed for the weight loss crowd not necessarily body sculpting/transformation crowd. Either way it's an effective tool for tracking the things you want to track, you may have to admit your goals are counter to what theirs are and customize it to your needs. For instance I just figured out how to add metrics I want to track, bicep and thigh circumference ect. It's a tool giving you suggestions, customize it to suit your needs.

you can earn credit for strength training by entering it under cardio exercise ... type the keyword "strength" or "weight" and u should be able to enter it and get your calories credited...
  • GomesDavid
    Options
    For the last 3 weeks i have been working out like mad ... 4-5 a week of cardio kickboxing (i.e. high cardio with hitting the bag for an hrs). Trying so hard to stick to my 1580 a day, however, this last week i have been dying! I want to eat the walls & having a hard time curbing the hunger... Any ideas??

P.S. if I work out and say burn 600cal & my overall day calories is 1580 = 2180 calores a day ... does that mean i need to get closer to 2180 or do I stick to under 1580 as per what myfitnesspal recommends???

thanks

michael

You've worked hard to improve your diet and exercise habits, and you've been rewarded by seeing the number on the scale continue to drop. But then for no reason you can identify, the scale doesn't budge even though you're still eating a healthy, low-calorie diet and exercising regularly. May be you've hit a weight-loss plateau.
  • convictushome
    Options
    Thanks to all that pointed out the calorie thing! I would not have thought to look there.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options

you can earn credit for strength training by entering it under cardio exercise ... type the keyword "strength" or "weight" and u should be able to enter it and get your calories credited...

Or get a heart rate monitor and wear it while strength training, then you'll know for sure. I never work out without my Polar! Also I have customized my exercise entries, I don't use any of the ones MFP offers.