New to Running, weird question.

Options
I just recently started a half marathon training (24 week program) and ran into an odd problem. My shins have started itching. I just began my second week of running, my legs ache which I was expecting, I don't think I have shin splints, but I suppose that is what this could be.

Anyone ever had itchy shins when they first started running? I looked on Google but all that came up were shin splints and it mentioned nothing about itching.

Replies

• rockbass
    rockbass Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    How long are your socks? Maybe the increased sweat with the type of detergent you're using is irritating your shins?
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have the low cut socks that stop just at the top of my shoe. The detergent is one that I actually make myself (I have really bad skin issues with detergents) but I thought that it couldn't be that because I would itch everywhere.

This itch is deeper, if I could scratch the bone in my leg I think it would help.
  • rockbass
    rockbass Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. That may be worth a doctor's visit, or checking out some runner forums, to see if they have some more insight.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    My thighs used to itch when I started running. I know what you mean about it being deeper. It's not clothes/sweat. For me it just went away. *shrug*
  • jsto830
    Options
    Are they itching during or after? It sounds like an endorphin thing...like a runners high. But even if that's it especially if you are new to running no matter what after each and every run grab a couple bags of frozen veggies and put your feet up and ice your shins it will help from getting them in the future. :smile:
  • sunrisefitness
    Options
    For me it is my thighs that have a deep itch. I was told this was because histimines are kicked up from the high impact, circulation and intensity. I was advised to take an anti-histimine (obviously not Benadryl, lol) 30" before a run. Hope that helps.
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    @ rockbass, I asked a friend of mine that runs marathons, she said it was odd but might be an early onset of shinsplints.

@julieh391, exactly! Mine are gone today but I run again tomorrow.

@jsto830, they started itching after a run and it itches on and off during the day. Today I haven't noticed it, but I sat last night and just rubbed my shins while I watched TV. It seems to have helped.

@sunrisefitness, I get the itchy in my thighs when it's cold out. I already take an antihistamine, I so many bad allergies lol.

Thanks everyone! I am going to give a call in to my doctor and see if he has any idea. So far my shins are not hurting so I take that as a good sign :)
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Do your legs swell at all when you run? I know that my feet, ankles and legs always itch when the swelling is going down after a run, plane ride, etc. To reduce the swelling after a run I always sit with my booty up against a wall with my legs straight up on the wall for about 10 minutes - one of the trainers in a local running club I was in recommended it. Seems to help me.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    @sunrisefitness, I get the itchy in my thighs when it's cold out. I already take an antihistamine, I so many bad allergies lol.

I itch everywhere when the weather gets colder just because of dry skin. It gets all flaky and cracked, especially my hands because at work I'm washing them constantly. Also, if you run outside in the evenings, I get eaten alive by mosquitoes. They're so bad here, but I'm also like a magnet or something because my friends never get bitten up.
  • APBTChampion
    APBTChampion Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Do your legs swell at all when you run? I know that my feet, ankles and legs always itch when the swelling is going down after a run, plane ride, etc. To reduce the swelling after a run I always sit with my booty up against a wall with my legs straight up on the wall for about 10 minutes - one of the trainers in a local running club I was in recommended it. Seems to help me.

That sounds like a great idea, plus you can get a nice back, glute, hammy stretch too!
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hahaahaha

Ok ok ok ... umm don't worry about it, seriously it is nothing at least from personal experience...

What it generally is is different soap/detergent, socks, how the item was prepared etc.....

If it is like the itching as you have on nose but inside the middle of leg... don't worry, it is irritating, but it goes away after a while...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If strange start to shinsplints, might ward them off.

One part of shinsplints is the bone, just gotta not heel strike so bad and beat them up. Other part is muscle.

Whenever you sit, consciously hold the front of your foot up while pivoting back on the heel, help strengthen that muscle.
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Could it be a blood flow thing? After I've warmed up or after a run or a workout when I'm nice and pink I often feel itchy. Mostly on my shins. For me it 's caused by increased bloodflow & differing temperatures. I tend to get it worse in cold weather and not at all when it's warm.