Training Program for Half/Full Marathon?

Options
Hi all. I am new to running, have been doing it for about 5 months now. I started with the couch to 5k program and now regularly run 4 miles 5 or six times a week. Last weekend I ran 10K just for the heck of it, I was having a particularly good run and so instead of turning around and going home I kept going. When I was done I was both amazed that I had done it and surprised that it wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. So it got me thinking that maybe someday I could potentially run a half marathon.

So my question is this. Are there programs out there to help you train for that? Or do you just keep trying to increase your distance little by little? If anyone has some good advice or recommendations and can point me in the right direction so I can move forward I would appreciate it.

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Google Hal Higdon for training programs.

My $.02 - get a few half under your belt before you consider training for a marathon. Lots of new runners insist on doing marathons while totally under-trained a it never ends well.

Just don't push to hard while increasing mileage as that is the recipe for injury.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options

My $.02 - get a few half under your belt before you consider training for a marathon. Lots of new runners insist on doing marathons while totally under-trained a it never ends well.

Just don't push to hard while increasing mileage as that is the recipe for injury.

THIS
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm training for the Dallas Half Marathon in December. I'm using a training plan that I found on fitsugar.com. There are lots of good ones out there. I chose this one because it keeps the weekday runs manageable while still increasing overall mileage for the week. You just have to do your research and find the one that will fit best with your schedule.

Good luck!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

+1
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I'll clarify I'm thinking of maybe training for a half marathon, not a full. That just seems way beyond my realm of possibilities right now. I'll google the programs mentioned, thank you!
  • arc918
    Options
    ^ ^ ^ - Not cool - I don't run, but I'll gladly sell you my MLM (multi level marketing) fitness products??
  • arc918
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I'll clarify I'm thinking of maybe training for a half marathon, not a full. That just seems way beyond my realm of possibilities right now. I'll google the programs mentioned, thank you!

Good call, keep training and enjoy yourself!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    You'll do great! Lots of nice free training programs. Hal Higdon, Jeff Galloway, etc.

A full is not way beyond your ability level, but you are smart to take your time in working up to it with a couple of half marathons first.
    Too much too soon leads to injury and burnout. By working your way up more gradually, you are more likely to stay injury-free and actually enjoy it!
  • mrsimon302
    mrsimon302 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    ^ ^ ^ - Not cool - I don't run, but I'll gladly sell you my MLM (multi level marketing) fitness products??

+1
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hey, not my post, but thanks for pointing the way to the Hal Higdon training programs! It looks like a great next step for me, too -- I am in week 11 of C210K and looking for ways to get better distance and time since I ran my first race on Monday. Thanks!
  • Ambercaskey
    Options
    I have completed a full and a half marathon. I went in not being a runner at all to training for the full marathon. I did the Hal Higdon beginner program, and completed the 2004 Chicago Marathon in a respectable 4:34:52. I felt great afterward! I did the Seattle Half over 2 years ago in 2:08. Even though I ran at a faster pace, and had experiences doing past races, I felt horrible after and haven't had the desire to train for any future races.

So I guess what I am trying to say is...listen to your body and do what works best for you. If you decide to train for a race and decide you want to do a marathon, I don't see why not. Just be sure to listen to what your gut tells you:) Good luck!!

PS - You can always train for a full and incorporate a half marathon into one of your training runs.
  • arc918
    Options

Mods must have delete out the offending post
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon is good .. my running partner did it. I googled it and decided it didnt have enough mileage so I took the basics of it and used advise from the Little Red Book of Running as well as Runners World magazines and I ran the half fifteen minutes faster than she did. My mileage was 35-45 miles a week v/s her 20-30. Run past the distance ... my long run was 15 miles. Dont forget to taper....super important!
  • Slimat30
    Slimat30 Posts: 142
    Options
    I'm all about Hal higdon's schedules. They have got me through many a marathon happily and safely :) x
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options

+1

+2
  • JuliesS82
    JuliesS82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used Hal Higdon to train for a half and Jeff Galloway to train for a full.
    Jeff Galloway's was longer (more weeks) but the Mon-Fri mileage was managable with my busy work schedule.

You can find good, free training program in some magazines like Runners World, Self, Shape, Fitness.

Good luck and enjoy- races are SUCH a great experience!
  • crssybear
    crssybear Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There is a printable schedule on the marathon rookie website. I am doing the Half training right now and I really like it. I only have time to do the long runs on Sundays so I adjusted the schedule a little bit to fit my needs. Only 5 more weeks till my first half and I'm feeling really good at the progress I've made so far. I agree with everyone and just look around and find something that seems a good fit for you. I'm also not pushing so much for time but to just complete the race since this is my first one. Don't want to overdue anything and end up injured.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm training for the Dallas Half Marathon in December. I'm using a training plan that I found on fitsugar.com. There are lots of good ones out there. I chose this one because it keeps the weekday runs manageable while still increasing overall mileage for the week. You just have to do your research and find the one that will fit best with your schedule.

Good luck!!!

I'm getting ready fo the half at College Station (Texas A&M) in December :) Best of luck to you!