as if eating could get any harder.....

Options
So I had nutrition testing done today - I already knew I was gluten intolerant, but soy and corn too? What in the world am I supposed to eat without feeling horrible? I am already having such a hard time getting calories in - I do not want to drop any more weight!

This added stress is not giong over well with me!

Replies

• DangerRanger
    DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    WOW, I think this is the first thread where someone DONT want to drop weight.

Hell, I wish I was in your shoes ; )
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Sorry no suggestion! Hope you find something!
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options
    So I had nutrition testing done today - I already knew I was gluten intolerant, but soy and corn too? What in the world am I supposed to eat without feeling horrible? I am already having such a hard time getting calories in - I do not want to drop any more weight!

This added stress is not giong over well with me!

Oh no!! Thats no good.... i guess lots of protein.. spelt and kamut! I use spelt flour for everything.

Now, if I may ask, where did you get this nutrition testing done?
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    So I guess I don't know what all has soy and corn in it, but without even knowing it I eat gluten free. So lots of fruits, vegatables, eggs, chicken, and salmon. I tend to eat the same thing every day, which I am sure is boring for some people, but I just find it easy.

Sorry to hear about all your restrictions I am sure that is frustrating. You should start a gluten free, soy, and corn free thread and see if you get any ideas or just a lot of hungry people ;) haha just playing with you.

Good Luck!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,066 Member
    Options
    WOW, I think this is the first thread where someone DONT want to drop weight.

Hell, I wish I was in your shoes ; )

Do you really? She has a lot to deal with - and there are many people here who are here to log food because they need to gain weight. Be sensitive to their needs, too.

~~~~~~~~~
    Lizbeth, there are many people who have lots of intolerances here - if you post a topic specific to needing help with planning menus for intolerant diets, you will get help, I promise!

Good luck, you'll make it through it. Ask your doctor for websites that can help you plan menus. There are lots of choices, and you will feel much better once the food is out of your system that has been causing you problems.:flowerforyou:
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    Look at the food channel, Alton Brown. He did a show the other night with substitutions and recipes that were gluten free. The really sounded good. Hope it helps.
  • nolan_84
    Options
    i'd suggest a nutritionist or a doctor visit. they'll surely be able to help you out!
  • birgithooker
    Options
    Hang in there. I feel badly for you. My foster mom found out she was allergic to corn when she was in her late 40's. She suffered asthma her whole life and turns out she wasn't asthmatic, she was constantly having reactions to the corn in her diet, because it's in everything! I am so sorry for you. I recently learned that my sixteen month old has a severe allergy to peanuts and basically any other kind of tree nut, soy, and eggs. I guess soy is used as a filler in a whole bunch of foods so we are having to adjust too. Like today I though about making something with cream of celery soup, but I didn't because one of the ingrediants stated; vegetable oil, may be soy. Luckily, he has been growing normally and it hasn't affected his diet up to this point, but now that his diet is expanding more, we have to add this to our list of concerns with his food intake. Our allergist gave us a piece of material on dealing iwth food allergies. I don't know if the extended version had more information on gluten free diets but you can check it out.

www.aaaaiorg/patients/publicedmat/tips.foodallergy.stm

You can probably check out their website for more information as well. www.aaaai.org

Good luck!
  • mhollist
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I am allergic to any flour besides whole wheat, any artificial sweeteners, artificial flavoring, artificial coloring, corn meal, white rice, and maple just to name a few. The worst part is that you know what other foods taste like so be prepared to miss foods! I try to avoid restaurants and places where I know my old favorite foods will be so I wont be tempted.

The best thing to eat are things that are healthy and simple. Ultimately, its easier and safer to cook for yourself with fresh ingredients. Avoid things that are prepackaged and seasoned. I suggest going through your entire kitchen and clearing out anything you cannot eat. If its not around, hopefully you wont be temped to eat it.

Good luck!
  • gisii
    gisii Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    wow girl!! i wish u the best of lucks. i can imagine how difficult this would be....... just hold on tight and google when ur not sure!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,066 Member
    Options
    Also, try googling "Clean eating" and "Whole foods" menus. You are obviously going to have to stay away from beef, pork, and chicken and "farmed" fish, too, since the feed of choice is mostly corn. It's everywhere!

Go to Netflix and rent the movie "KING CORN" it freaked me out, and I don't even have a corn allergy. . . I don't think. . . though I wouldn't be a bit surprised if all Americans don't develope corn sensitivity in the next couple decades.

The movie may also be available on freedocumentaries.org since it is a documentary.
  • lizbeth787
    lizbeth787 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your support everyone! I'll try a bunch of your suggestions.

For who asked where I got the testing done, I regularly see a chiropractor/neuropath and he conducted nutrition tests on me - which some people may tell me "go see a real doctor" (aka my dad) - BUT! I've found he is the only doctor who has actually spent time on ME and my needs!

THanks again!
  • Notsocorny
    Options
    If you want to cry, watch King Corn. I found that with an allergy to corn and corn derivatives, King Corn was a little bit too much for me. I would suggest to start out with the Documentary called "Food Inc." It gets past the boring part, and shows what too much corn does to any animals diet. It's kinda gross.

I also came across a website "http://www.cornallergens.com/" It has helped me out with knowing what to avoid. My bf would try to trick me and see if I would react to certain things on the list of corn derivatives, and well 9 times out of 10 I would. I hope that can help you. You could probably find a website that will show you a similar list for your other allergies/intolerances. The part that really stinks about having problems with Corn is that the world hasn't caught up with it being an allergy, and they don't want it labeled on everything. Hopefully you just have an intolerance, and it never escalades to a severe allergy.

Good luck!
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Notsocorny is a friend and we try very hard to make sure we have "corn free" stuff for her when she comes over. All my kids are getting better at reading labels to see if it is NSC friendly. Two of my kids have reactions to food dyes that come with numbers. (Red #40).

One of the things I found out that is most passover food doesn't have corn products in it, so it is a way to get some things that are normally loaded with corn or the evil HFS (high fruitocose sugar).

It will be hard to eat out and you'll do a lot of from scratch cooking but you'll be eating better and you'll be feeling better too.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Also, try googling "Clean eating" and "Whole foods" menus. You are obviously going to have to stay away from beef, pork, and chicken and "farmed" fish, too, since the feed of choice is mostly corn. It's everywhere!

Go to Netflix and rent the movie "KING CORN" it freaked me out, and I don't even have a corn allergy. . . I don't think. . . though I wouldn't be a bit surprised if all Americans don't develope corn sensitivity in the next couple decades.

The movie may also be available on freedocumentaries.org since it is a documentary.

She just needs to find farmed raised sources of the meats so she has grass fed beef, free range pork and chicken.................wild caught fish............