Heel Pain

Options
2»

Replies

• Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Totally Plantar Fasciaitis! Does it feel like a nail in your heel when you step on your feet first thing in the morning? Yep.....

You need better, more supportive shoes. I cured mine with some Birkenstock sandals.

Also, there you should stretch your calves and massage the plantar. You can get a cortisone injection too, but that doesn't last long.

The thing that cured me was better footbeds and cushioning in the footwear. Also, don't walk barefoot until it heals. Get some Crocs to wear in the shower even. I wouldn't waste my money on Orthotics, and I have had it a few times. Losing weight helps too.

See your doctor to be sure if you can. If you need footwear suggestions, let me know.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    See a doctor, make sure it isn't something more serious.

I have an Achilles injury that started with hell pain/tendonitis, I kept pushing it thinking it wasn't a big deal and winded up with tear. Most painful experience of my life. It was literally excruciating. I was out of the gym for 6 months, on crutches for almost 2 months & in a walking boot for almost 3 months and I still deal with weakness/pain over a year later.

Those kinds of injuries aren't the type you want to mess around with. I recommend taking some time off of running and maybe focus on less heel intensive work outs like the ellptical and bike

I strongly urge you to see a doctor and see what's up. They may fit you with special soles for your shoes for extra support.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I had plantar fasciaitis (spelling?) Anyway, my Dr. described it perfectly as that "first step pain." Its at it's worst when you first get out of bed in the morning or after sitting a while. When I had it I was working in a restaurant and on my feet for 10+ hours a day and after sitting in the car to drive home the first couple steps out of the car to go into the house were like walking on glass shards. If that sounds like what you have, google it for exercises you can do. It came on suddenly for me and left just as suddenly too, but lasted about 6 mos. I wish I'd seen a doctor sooner or had looked up ways to treat it. Good luck!
  • livinbb
    livinbb Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Same here. The pain came out of no where when I started getting into running 2 years ago. Left it for a while then eventually sought out a chiropodist. She informed me my shoes were horrible and gave me no support and that I would need custom orthodics. $500 later and I was good after a week of just walking around in my new shoes with the orthodics.
    Now the pain has come back. I am buying new shoes, thinking the ones I bought 2 years ago are lacking their original support and icing my heel in the evenings. Hoping I won't need to head back to the chiropodist for another set of orthodics, they are darned expensive!!!!!
  • CLD79
    CLD79 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am also having the same thing. I went to the doc and it is plantar fasciatis and a bone spur. I have not been able to work out in over a week and don't see myself being able to work out like I was anytime soon. The doc gave me some exercises, medicine and wants a follow up next week. So far the only thing helping AT ALL is some shoe inserts I bought at the grocery store. Not much relief but taking the edge off so I can do minimal walking.
  • Andybeth
    Andybeth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This should be checked by your doctor. I ignored heel pain and it turned out to be a torn achilles tendon. The pain comes and goes until it ruptures. Then the treatment gets really inconvenient.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Trust me on this one - Birkenstocks! Yes they are hideous and granola-ish. But I'll be damned if they don't make the pain go away. Read up on Birks - many plantar sufferers use them.
  • NewMeAT33
    Options
    also avoid beach/sand walk or runs. It is a trigger for me no matter how good I am feeling.

Orthaheel makes some good shoes.

NO FLIP-FLOPS. Ever. This was the hardest thing for me.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Trust me on this one - Birkenstocks! Yes they are hideous and granola-ish. But I'll be damned if they don't make the pain go away. Read up on Birks - many plantar sufferers use them.

Yes, yes yes..and YES!!!!!
  • Roseygirl1
    Roseygirl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am a doctor.

I've also had excrutiating plantar fasciitis that turned out to be related to a tick-borne infection (Bartonella) which I got along with my case of Lyme Disease.

It took me a long time to get a diagnosis because I never knew I had been bitten by a tick and I didn't get the classic rash.

I had the heel pain for 18 months and finally it went away within one month of antibiotics.

I got a LOT of relief by taping my foot using special stretch tape. If you go on youtube and search for "how to tape plantar fasciitis" you will find instructions on which tape to buy and how to tape the foot. It is almost immediate relief to tape your foot properly.

Good luck,
    Susie
  • qhorn1
    qhorn1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    check out this great article on plantar fascitis:
    great tips!

http://www.trailrunningclub.com/blog/2012/06/22/dealing-with-plantar-fasciitis/
  • AnnACnd
    AnnACnd Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I had this earlier this summer when running. I got some gel heel pads. Seemed to help.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Get it checked out...might be plantar fasciitis. I've got it after tons of overtraining, and my heel pain is always at it's worst right when I wake up. My doctor explained the increased pain when first getting out of bed is a result of plantarflexing my foot throughout the night (basically contracting that part of my foot because I sleep on my stomach so I'm pretty much pointing my toes). If this is the case for you as well, your doctor may recommend you sleep with a boot/brace on. Hope your heel feels better!