Planks

Options
1. Is it true they are considered the best ab exercise?
2. Should you do them every day or have a rest day in between IF that is the only ab exercise you do?

Replies

• fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is any "best" ab exercise. I think the best way to target your abs is with variety. Planks are a fantastic way to target your abs, but if you do want a nice set of abs, you're going to have to do more than just a few planks a day. If you really like planks, I personally recommend throwing some pushups and/or mountain climbers into the mix. That will take it to the next level!

I usually work my core in one form or another every day - but I make sure the exercises that I do are different on adjacent days. If you're super sore, you should probably give yourself a break. If not, I don't see why you would need to have a rest day.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    More trainers consider hanging legs raises the best.
  • ChinUp4Life
    Options
    Planks are good. Then you can progress to abdominal rollouts, leg raises, high to low cable woodchop, pallof press, turkish get up, dragon flag etc...
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Planks work your core stabilizers, while your typical crunches work a more superficial layer of muscles, so yes, they're GREAT! I don't recommend only doing planks. however. Throw in some variety and resistance to your ab work (leg raises, cable work as you progress, weighted sit-ups, russian twists, etc.), and take a recovery day in between just as you do for any other muscle group.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    A good Yoga session will travel through like Downward dog to Cobra) and also hold the Plank position - like holding Plank and then going down to a low Pressup and pushing back to Plank. all of this is great for abs without even thinking of Abs.

I wish I could show you profile pictures of my fantastic abs doing Yoga but I also let my eating go over the last five years and that's why I'm here on MFP! I've got great abs but they are behinf two stone of excess fat!

Next year, I'll post up some great yoga pics! :blushing: :bigsmile: