Gaining muscle with BodyPump class

Options

Replies

• ChinUp4Life
    Options
    Definitely warm up for the heavy weights. Anyone lifting heavy should know that.

As for people saying, "don't do BodyPump" you clearly don't belong in this thread. There's many reasons why classes are popular at the gym, and something like BodyPump tends to fill up pretty fast.
  • ChinUp4Life
    Options
    I love BodyPump! You have to get to my gym extra early, even for the 5:30 am class, if you want a spot. I wish they'd put out DVD sets so I could do it at home as well...

Yea it definitely pushes me more than I would on my own.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I've seen increased muscle tone from Body Pump, but my biggest takeway from it was increased muscular endurance...definitely a class worth taking if building strength/muscular endurance and lean mass is your goal, but it's not really for someone working towards hypertrophy...just my take on it :)
  • pauline251
    pauline251 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    8081883415_c36eef2bcc.jpg
    IMG_1294 by paulineb251, on Flickr

I go to bodypump at the gym. I really enjoy the class and try to go about 2-3 times per week. I have been going since January and I'm quite happy with the results. Its a full body workout, especially if you push yourself.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

As for people saying, "don't do BodyPump" you clearly don't belong in this thread.

You are obviously unclear about how this whole internet forum thing works. People put posts up and others give thier opinions. Thus, a forum. If you want content control, start your own website.

For those that enjoy cardio/ endurance with weights, great. It can have it's place. As for suggestions of muscle building, that is highly doubtful. For general muscle conditioning and cardio endurance, it's an option if that's your goal.
  • karennh65
    karennh65 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My gym offers a bodypump class that I have been afraid to try. Maybe I will give it a go

Go for it.........I've been doing both Body Pump and Body Combat and love them. Down 6lbs since I started taking the active carido classes at the gym.
    Also there is not much demand for coordination like step or zumba :laugh: :laugh:
  • ChinUp4Life
    Options

I go to bodypump at the gym. I really enjoy the class and try to go about 2-3 times per week. I have been going since January and I'm quite happy with the results. Its a full body workout, especially if you push yourself.

Look at you!! Way to go. I honestly couldn't even do all the reps that the instructors were doing, but I think if I kept at it I would be able to get closer.

Out of curiosity, what type of nutrition do you do before / after your body pump class?
  • ChinUp4Life
    Options
    My gym offers a bodypump class that I have been afraid to try. Maybe I will give it a go

Go for it.........I've been doing both Body Pump and Body Combat and love them. Down 6lbs since I started taking the active carido classes at the gym.
    Also there is not much demand for coordination like step or zumba :laugh: :laugh:

Good job. Keep at it and look for results. If you hit a plateau, maybe try some strength stuff for a few weeks, and it might also have carryover to the classes.
  • ChinUp4Life
    Options
    You are obviously unclear about how this whole internet forum thing works. People put posts up and others give thier opinions. Thus, a forum. If you want content control, start your own website.

Actually I appreciate that despite criticism you maintain a respectful tone. People should exercise some self-control as to what topics they post in. This topic is about people doing BodyPump and if someone has no interest in BodyPump, they may be better off starting a topic about what they are interested in. Thus, a productive forum.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    One of the elements of a forum is that people can post wherever they choose despite what you see as their lack of self control.
  • ChinUp4Life
    Options
    That is one element. I prefer paulineb251's approach showing RESULTS baby :)
  • ms_tris
    ms_tris Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love body pump and what it does for my body. I have been struggling with whether to do pump on my "weights" days (just starting back after a long and gluttonous break) or to do the new rules of lifting. I think I will do a combo (i.e. try your suggestion). Thanks! When I did it before, I just used pump as my lifting. I'll let you know in 6-8 weeks if the results are better.
  • pauline251
    Options

Look at you!! Way to go. I honestly couldn't even do all the reps that the instructors were doing, but I think if I kept at it I would be able to get closer.

Out of curiosity, what type of nutrition do you do before / after your body pump class?

Thanks! Usually it depends what time of day the body pump class is. If I go to the morning one, i will have breakfast (usually oats made with milk and a banana) and then a protein shake afterwards. If i go to a 5pm class I might have a protein shake before the class and then just have dinner afterwards. I usually eat quite healthy, no take-aways (no macdonalds, no KFC etc), I eat lots of vegetables, fruit, healthy carbs like brown rice, brown bread, oats etc. But I do like chocolate!

I also go to Les Mills Body Attack (sports inspired aerobics), sometimes CXWORX (30 minute core workout), run about 3 times per week (6-10k per run), go for a walk a few times per week. I have done NO WEIGHTLIFTING. However, I do push myself to use the weights in pump that challenge me. I also do the push ups in Pump and Attack (usually 5 minutes of push ups) on my toes.
  • pauline251
    Options
    I am now working on toning my abs and decreasing my body fat percentage to show them.
  • timea_84
    timea_84 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Thanks! Usually it depends what time of day the body pump class is. If I go to the morning one, i will have breakfast (usually oats made with milk and a banana) and then a protein shake afterwards. If i go to a 5pm class I might have a protein shake before the class and then just have dinner afterwards. I usually eat quite healthy, no take-aways (no macdonalds, no KFC etc), I eat lots of vegetables, fruit, healthy carbs like brown rice, brown bread, oats etc. But I do like chocolate!

I also go to Les Mills Body Attack (sports inspired aerobics), sometimes CXWORX (30 minute core workout), run about 3 times per week (6-10k per run), go for a walk a few times per week. I have done NO WEIGHTLIFTING. However, I do push myself to use the weights in pump that challenge me. I also do the push ups in Pump and Attack (usually 5 minutes of push ups) on my toes.

You look AMAZING!!! I take pump on an average of 3 times a week and I don't look like that. Do you mind telling what weights you're using? I need to friend you and I guess I need to work harder.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

I've been toying around with trying Body Pump at my gym and I think you've just inspired me to give it a go. A few weeks ago I tried my first class (TRX) and loved it, so I think your picture just pushed me to try this as well.
  • Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love BodyPump! You have to get to my gym extra early, even for the 5:30 am class, if you want a spot. I wish they'd put out DVD sets so I could do it at home as well...

This workout started out as a home workout google Les Mills BodyPump it comes with the dvds and barbell.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I am starting BodyPump at the YMCA is November. I am really looking forward to it. For the person who was looking for a dvd series, google LesMills Pump and you should find it. I know Beachbody sells it, though it is rather expensive in my opinion.
  • pauline251
    Options
    Thanks Timea!

Bodypump is a great class. I usually go 3 times per week, occasionly twice a week. I also go to bodyattack and CXWORX, and also run. As for weights, I always use weights that challenge me. The last few reps should be very difficult. I also do the pushups on my toes.

My current weights are:

The bar we use is about 5kg
    Warmup: 3.5kg each side
    Squats: 10kg each side
    Chest: 6kg each side
    Back: 6kg each side
    Triceps: 3.5kg each side
    Biceps: 2.5kg each side
    Lunges: 6kg each side
    Shoulders: 2.5kg plates, pushups on toes

If you try and really push yourself with the weights (build it up slowly though), eat well (you won't build any muscle on a calorie deficit), include a good amount of protein (I usually aim for 100-120g of protein per day), you should see some results. I have a protein shake after a pump class. Learn to do pushups on your toes, that uses a lot more muscles. Planking is also a very good exercise. Do you do any other classes? Probably a good idea to include some cardio too.
  • timea_84
    timea_84 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ok it seems I need to up my protein intake then cause I'm definitely not getting in 100 grams.
    As far as weights to I use
    Warm up-5k on each side
    Squats-12.5 on each
    Chest- 7.5 on each
    Clean and press - 8.5 on each
    Triceps - 6 on each
    Biceps, shoulders and lunges-5 on each

You have really inspired me, hopefully if I increase my protein intake I will end up with a kickass upper back! Thanks! I also run, take combat, rpm, and step. My gym is launching the new pump release on Saturday, can't wait!!!!!