Calories in white onions???

Options
How would I find out what the calorie count is for a generic store bought white onion? As a matter of fact, how would I find out the calorie count for any "fresh" veggie that doesn't come with the information readily on the package? I have tried looking on MFP but there are many different calculations/variations.

Replies

• ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    the entry with no * by it is the standard one
    so if you search for "onion" or whatever fresh vegetable, look for that entry
  • babyangel6806
    babyangel6806 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that helped a lot :-) Now I just need to remember this for the future
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    it'll become easy to remember after you do it a few times :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Adding the word "raw" helps you find the no-* entries faster, you can't get so bogged down with onion rings or crisps etc.
    Eg, search for "onion raw"
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I weigh my fruit and veg too so I can match or adjust to the database. For example, I had a kiwi fruit today that was twice the size of the one listed. If I didnt double it I would have under estimated my calories
  • loumaag
    loumaag Posts: 118
    Options
    Do not blindly trust the staff entered (no *) data. They too have made mistakes or they have not updated the entries. I have found too many of them incorrect in comparison to the USDA data to be comfortable. What I do is check every entry the first time I use it, staff or member entered against the USDA data.

You can find the USDA data here:
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov

Click on "Start your search here" and start typing in the box that appears. You will see how the search works almost immediately.

ETA: As an example, I just checked "onions, raw", the staff entry is incorrect.
  • sheribrasington
    Options
    Fresh vegetables have very little calories. I can say that onions along with bell peppers are calorie and fat burners, so you would only benefit by eating them. I try to mix them both in as many cooked foods as I can. They both really boost your metabolism.
  • babyangel6806
    babyangel6806 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Fresh vegetables have very little calories. I can say that onions along with bell peppers are calorie and fat burners, so you would only benefit by eating them. I try to mix them both in as many cooked foods as I can. They both really boost your metabolism.

I use regular onions and green onions on almost everything. I also love green bell peppers in my spaghetti and salads.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Love this website... they have calories for EVERYTHING!! Just type in 'onion' and it will give you several options (red, white, raw, cooked, etc)

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/