How long does it take to notice a difference?

Options

Replies

• Stephanie_skinny
    Stephanie_skinny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I think after like 2 months of exercising and MFP people started to tell me I looked different! :) I really didnt notice it but other people did!!
  • dandes
    dandes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Stay positive, really. Don't allow any negative 'self-talk', NONE! When that little voice comes out when you're craving something sweet, or something fatty, don't allow it to take over. Be strong. You may not get the results you expect when you want them, but try to celebrate your small successes, feeling proud of yourself for taking control of your health, enjoying your new motivation for a better lifestyle, your mood changing for the better, being able to breathe better, feeling physically stronger, etc. Take measurements of your hips, thighs, upper arm, waist, bust, and check them every two weeks. The numbers on the scale may not change right away, they may in fact increase, but don't worry, your body composition is changing and you are building muscle to replace the fat. Muscle burns more calories and you'll eventually see a big difference, just keep it up! Look at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself how much you love yourself for making these changes, you are you're best personal trainer and coach. You'll get there! Reward yourself weekly for achieving your goal with a new haircut, new cosmetics, new shoes, a spa day, a day out on the town (exercising every day, every other day, etc)... Good luck! You are already on the right track, just be patient with yourself and be treat yourself kindly like you would treat your best friend...
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Within a few days you will probably lose a pound. I would say depending on your plan, you should lose approx 2 lbs a week. It'll work, you just gotta be patient. And the real test of your patience will be when the pounds are coming off and you haven't gone down a size yet. It took me around 25 lbs to really drop a size and that was discouraging. But around 25-30 lbs lighter is when people really started noticing my weightloss. You just gotta be infinitely patient and stick with it. Don't give up because you think it's gonna take too long to reach your goal. I mean, whether you are dieting or not the time will continue to pass so you might as well be working toward your goal. I'm over 16 weeks in, I've lost 43 lbs so far, and over 30 inches from all over my body. And geez, I think I might actually drop another size soon. Good luck!
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have actually gained 10 lbs according to a scale (hence I have not changed my weight) But my clothes tell another story. My work uniforms are getting baggy in strange places. I am a corrections officer and have a very straight lined uniform so it is funny to see it so baggy. I also have tightened my belt a notch. I think I have been doing this for maybe 2 weeks or so. If you are exercising more, you need to make sure that you don't check the scale right away. Muscle weighs more than fat! The bonus side of that is due to more muscle you will be able to burn more fat by simply existing.
  • jpe71
    jpe71 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It's going to depend on a lot of factors. What's worked for me is to treat this as an experiment to figure out what works for me. The first few months, I sucked at logging, until I was finally able to make a habit of it. From there, pay attention to what you've logged and how it compares to what you've lost. Make sure you are absolutely honest, and measure things at least until you are sure about portion sizes.

Look out for those exercise calories - I've found that some of the exercise calorie estimates are inaccurate. If your log suggests you should have lost 2 lb, and you've only lost 1, that could be the culprit. It could also be an issue with inaccurate logging.

If you don't start losing weight pretty quickly, make some adjustments until it starts working. Remember that part of the process is learning. Therefore, even if you don't lose weight, if you've learned something that doesn't work, and change it, you're not failing.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I am not expecting a difference yet. I am just scared that I won't loose anything because I have been unsuccessful before. I am keeping a food and exercise diary. Do you have any suggestions on what else I should be doing?

I can offer a few tips =)

1) Don't let one trip up get you down. Pick yourself up from the next meal on, or if it's a day thing the day after. The important part is picking yourself up
    2) As already mentioned try not to drink your calories
    3) Take measurements as well as weighing. Some times you may find you aren't losing anything, but check those inches!
    4) Make sure you are active everyday. Now this doesn't need to be 7 days of intense workouts! A few days of those can be just walking for 30mins - an hour.
    5) Don't expect it to drop fast. We don't gain weight over night which means we can't lose it over night either. So don't be disheartened if it's not going quite as fast as you would like.
    6) For those days you have a work out planned but don't feel like doing it, tell yourself "Just 15 minutes. Just 15 minutes and if I still don't feel like doing it I'll stop" Can almost guarantee you wont want to stop with the adrenaline rush.
    7) Keep an old outfit to try on along the way. I was shocked when I tried on an old pair of jeans, they literally dropped right off me onto the floor.

^^^^THIS!

Good luck! You can do this!
  • martintanz
    Options
    Give iit 2 to 3 weeks. If you don't notice a diifference and you aren't losing weight by then, swiitch things up a little. I didn't lose any weight the first week, actually might have gained a little. After that, the weight started to come off at a steady clip.
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If you stick with it, it will happen - but because you are with yourself and see yourself every day you may not process seeing the difference you are making. Maybe take a picture now and then take another picture in a month and I would bet you'll see a difference.

My advice would be focus on getting good habits going more than the scale to start. I know for me once I got past the first month I was on more of a rhythm with things. And you will have times where you are more motivated than others, so I also found having a routine time to exercise can help.

Good luck!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    i noticed mine at the end of 30 day shred-so 30 days :)
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    to see results..well I would say a week or two but what kind of results do you want?......... that's the thing here...
    Don't weight yourself all the time (worst thing ever and mood buster).

After a couple days, you'll see how your health improve, better cardio, you will lose inches ,pants will floats more,brighter skin tone etc...etc...etc...

After 2 weeks...Go on the scale. Cause also, Muscles weight more than fat so....a scale doesn't know that and you could be pretty pissed by the number BUT........ check in the mirror or with a measuring tape.(or caliper if you have one for your Body fat %)
    The results should be pretty clear.
  • OzzyPam
    OzzyPam Posts: 25
    Options
    I noticed in about 2 weeks, I got to excited and started standing on them stupid scale everyday ..(worse thing ever) My fat was turning to muscle so my weight didn't change there for a while (muscle weight more than fat).... But my clothes were starting to get baggy... Yay the feeling is great :)
  • tewmom
    tewmom Posts: 29
    Options
    6) For those days you have a work out planned but don't feel like doing it, tell yourself "Just 15 minutes. Just 15 minutes and if I still don't feel like doing it I'll stop" Can almost guarantee you wont want to stop with the adrenaline rush.

Great advice, at twice this week I used this analagy to get my butt to the gym. Once there I ended up working out for 45-60 minutes.
  • cliqe427
    Options
    I have lost 25lbs and I am a bit discouraged because my same clothes fit. My jeans are much bigger in the waist but I have not gone down a jean size. My belts have become to big but I have been at this for 3 months with a personal trainer one day a week. I am up to running a 10 min mile but struggle to run consistanly. I see a slight difference but everyone else seems to see a major difference. You will notice a difference! The easiest way is to perform an exercise that may be a challenge to you and keep at it as well as get a pair of jeans which may be a little snug and once a week or whenever you weigh yourself try them on! The key is to remain positive and keep your goals in sight! Depending on how much you have to lose and the amount of exercise you complete, the results will come at a steady pace! I still have a long way to go, but I am determined to do it! Good luck on your journey!
  • diva7531
    diva7531 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I started to lose weight right away, but didn't truly notice a difference until I started exercising. Then it really started to come off. About 2-3 pounds a week. After 8 or 9 weeks I was in a smaller jeans size. That was my BEST accomplishment to date.
  • ambitionjr
    Options
    25 to 30 pounds
  • MrsNANSEE
    Options
    I am not expecting a difference yet. I am just scared that I won't loose anything because I have been unsuccessful before. I am keeping a food and exercise diary. Do you have any suggestions on what else I should be doing?

I can offer a few tips =)

1) Don't let one trip up get you down. Pick yourself up from the next meal on, or if it's a day thing the day after. The important part is picking yourself up
    2) As already mentioned try not to drink your calories
    3) Take measurements as well as weighing. Some times you may find you aren't losing anything, but check those inches!
    4) Make sure you are active everyday. Now this doesn't need to be 7 days of intense workouts! A few days of those can be just walking for 30mins - an hour.
    5) Don't expect it to drop fast. We don't gain weight over night which means we can't lose it over night either. So don't be disheartened if it's not going quite as fast as you would like.
    7) Keep an old outfit to try on along the way. I was shocked when I tried on an old pair of jeans, they literally dropped right off me onto the floor.

Great advice!!
  • MrsNANSEE
    Options
    Ive been doing this now for 6 weeks and i am already feeling and seeing the difference.Clothes that were tight now fit great and in some cases are too big.Infact just this morning i walked past a mirror and noticed for the first time my *kitten* is getting smaller.Take measurements,drink plenty of water, plan your daily menu's & most of all pat yourself on the back everytime you have a success.Every meal you have eaten that was healthy,everyday you have stuck to your calories & every time you do some excercise. Celebrate every accomplishment xxx Good luck xx
  • scorpiousuk
    Options
    I think two weeks for me. I guess the first bit is going to be tough. If you are a person that never exercised before, then I would say expect a month to a month and a half. The first bit you are going to be building muscles on limbs you may not have used in a while. I did that my first week. I walked and cycled lots before, but never swam that much, and that bit kind of altered my upper body slightly.

But in two weeks something should be noticeable.
  • lisalovesmark20
    lisalovesmark20 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    im 8 weeks in to using mfp i only started to see a small differance at 7 weeks my clothes are looser but scales hasnt went down since week 2
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My scale didn't budge for like 6 weeks. I had to keep doing what I KNEW was right and just hope the results were coming. They did. But, it does take more than a few days for most of us. Some folks see changes much more quickly. That would be nice, but it's not always realistic.

Be honest about your food intake and try not to overestimate the calories you've burned exercising (I always chop about 20% off what the cardio machines tell me I've burned). Eventually, the math will work in your favor!

Good for you taking the first steps to get out there and improve your health and fitness!!!