I can't do a single press up :(

Options
I can do some box press ups and some at about 50 degrees (leaning on the wall) but any lower than that and nothing happens when I push :(. Is it just poor upper body strength, poor core strength or I am just useless! I must have been able to do them once as they were in the RN fitness test that I passed at 19 (I think they were 3/4 ones)

Ideas

Replies

• Shange_Gully
    Options
    You're just weak, but that can be improved, do them from the knees for a while. Then attempt the real ons after a week or so
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    From hands and knees, straighten your legs into a Plank - the upper part of the push up. Now slowly bend your arms at the elbows, keeping the inner creases of the elbows facing each other until your chest meets the floor, then your legs.

This is a negative push up. Repeat for 5 and rest a couple of minutes, then try for another 5 negative push ups.

It won't be long before you can do one regular push up, then two and so on. What you do then is 1 regular and 4 negative, 2 regular and 3 negatives and so on until you can do 5 regulare push ups - then do regulars until you can do 10 and then aim for three sets of ten.

Then come back and I'll tell you how to make them harder to do! :flowerforyou:

edited to agree with the post above - and if you cant manage one regular push up with knees on floor, do the knee on floor version as a negative as I described. - Go for it!
  • kateowp
    kateowp Posts: 103 Member
    Options
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    ^^^ I like this. I'm gonna do this one too!
  • Sabrina__26
    Options
    Me neither :( I really tried my best but I just fall flat on my face when I attempt them and even doing the easier version on my knees is impossible! I found a video on YouTube which is pretty helpful so I will hopefully give that a go to improve my upper body strength.

Here's the video, give it a go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QrgAb8nxkQ
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Am gonna take a look coz I am rubbish at them.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options

Thanks for this! I am going to try it too!

I couldn't even do a single push up on my knees until I started JM 30DS. Now I can do about 15 on my knees (admittedly, I don't go down as far as I could...). Still pretty pathetic but something to work on!

My aim is to be able to do more than my husband. He can currently do 35 full push ups, and fast! I'll have to not tell him that I'm challenging him though, otherwise I'll never be able to catch up (:
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Neither could I in June. Keep trying and you'll get there. I'm still struggling but can do some now!
  • Roeri011
    Roeri011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    When I started my lifting program in June I could barely do a 45 degree push up. I continued to push myself and decreasing the angle. Now not only can I do them on the floor but have started to hold a 2 second pause at the bottom and do them with my feet on a 12 inch step.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    I can't do a single pullup and scooby workshop has a page on developing pullups as well
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. None of started out strong. It's all about where you want to go, not where you are at right now. Keep working at it and you will get a little better each week.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Start by doing them at the angle that you can, even if that is against the wall. Then slowly progress toward being more horizontal. If you do this 3 days a week for a few sets at a time (with rests between), plus other strength training at the same time you will see steady progress. Once you can do one full pushup, you just try to do another and keep doing that and soon you will be there. Just be patient with yourself. It would probably help to practice your planks as well. When you get stronger at that try lowering your body. When you can do that easily try pushing yourself back up. I know this sound cliche, but you have to believe in yourself that you can do it. Trusting yourself, and your strength is a big part of your capabilities. I know you can do this! And remember that it's not just your arm strength, but you are using your whole core as well.
  • SkyVetis
    Options
    What helped me were handles on the floor..it does change the angle but not enough I think to be significant and having your wrists straight rather than bent feels a lot more natural.