Eating out?

Options
rnhoppe
rnhoppe Posts: 111 Member
I need suggestions on the types of food to eat while out in a restaurant. I always pick foods that are good in calories but I'm finding that pretty much everything is swimming with sodium! Why is that?

Replies

• rnhoppe
    Options
    Anyone??
  • Stylegal
    Options
    Because everything is processed at the major chain restaurants, try to look for restaurants that have locally grown produce and have sustainable means of prepping and getting their food. It will taste better, have less sodium, and be great for you!
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Almost all restaurants provide food high in sodium. I just grit my teeth, order what I like, and eat fresh veggies, like their garden salad. Then the next few days ignore what the scale says and drink lots of water to ditch the excess sodium, hah!
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I need suggestions on the types of food to eat while out in a restaurant. I always pick foods that are good in calories but I'm finding that pretty much everything is swimming with sodium! Why is that?

I always go to their website if they have one to get the nutritional information. You should be able to see the sodium levels there as well.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Most chains are this way. Just try and choose the freshest sounding option. Look up the nutritional info online before if you can.
    The best thing to do is to avoid things with sauces on them, and choose only dry options. Stick with veggie sides if you can.
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    When I go out to a restaurant it's usually a "cheat" day for me or I have an extra workout planned, so I eat what I want. But I go out to a restaurant maybe once every six months, so it's not that detrimental.
  • esl269
    esl269 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I almost never eat out anymore. But, every once and awhile, you do have to go out to a nice restaurant and so I usually get some sort of baked or grilled fish. Super high in sodium, but I eat little enough salt throughout the day that it's not something I fret over.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Half portions and avoid nondescript sauces. There are a handful of places that offer low cal / healthy menu options. Outback, for example, has a "don't put any salt or butter on my food!" option. If you're ordering straight off of the menu, though, at least get the server to box half of what you order to carry home.
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I always take meat or fish/seefood, and as a side: vegetable or house salad instead of potatoes or rice. Usually, cooked veggies (even in oil) have less sodium then other sides can have.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Salt is a preservative...if it is a chain, the food isn't fresh. If you go to a Chili's, what you are eating was mostly likely made 100's of miles from you. One day won't kill you.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    salt = flavor in restaurants
  • candy102389
    Options
    you can always ask them to tweak your food like at applebees tell them to hold the salt.
  • rnhoppe
    Options
    Thanks for the advise...I always look up nutritional info before going but even the most healthy options are over 1000 mg in salt! Sometimes it's a nice break from having to cook...so we usually will eat out once a week. I guess it will just be a high sodium day for me.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have figured out anytime you eat out at a restaurant, it is loaded with sodium. I just know that every time I eat out, I should expect to gain a pound from sodium. I just do better the next day and drink a lot of water.