The "I Love My Parents" Thread

Options
lamoursuffit
lamoursuffit Posts: 267 Member
Or guardians/grandparents/whoever raised you.

Sometimes it's easy to overlook all the good things our parents (and others) have done for us because of some of their flaws. But then one day you look back and say, "Damn...they were right!" (or alternatively, you look in the mirror and realize you are, in fact, your mother!)

So I just wanted to start a thread to post funny stories/bits of wisdom/nice things your parents have done for you!

My mom, though often unsolicited, gives me great advice. She always knows what to say. And she understands if I say, hey mom, I don't want advice, just listen! My dad is the one I turn to for tough love, because while he's really a big softy, he's often one to say, hey quit your crying. Dry it up and move on, **** happens.

What about you?:)

Replies

• BrittanyFordham
    Options
    I agree! I've got wonderful parents who have always been supportive and stood by me! I am so grateful and blessed to have them in my life!
  • stinkpurty
    Options
    In my eyes, there is no greater person on earth than my mom. She is just so sweet, loving, and giving. I can't think of a bad thing about her. I often wish I could be just a quarter of the person she is. I love that, now being in my 30s, she can be my friend, too.

My dad is the tough love type. We often clash because we are so much alike. We not afraid to call each other out. However, I know he loves me and I love him.
  • lamoursuffit
    Options
    In my eyes, there is no greater person on earth than my mom. She is just so sweet, loving, and giving. I can't think of a bad thing about her. I often wish I could be just a quarter of the person she is. I love that, now being in my 30s, she can be my friend, too.

My dad is the tough love type. We often clash because we are so much alike. We not afraid to call each other out. However, I know he loves me and I love him.

That is so sweet. Like I said, sometimes it is so easy to take our parents for granted. I'm only twenty, but at 18 I moved 1200 miles away from home, and it seems it took all that to realize, damn, my mom really was right and really did know what was best. I love my mom so much!
  • stinkpurty
    Options

That is so sweet. Like I said, sometimes it is so easy to take our parents for granted. I'm only twenty, but at 18 I moved 1200 miles away from home, and it seems it took all that to realize, damn, my mom really was right and really did know what was best. I love my mom so much!

I was around your age when I had the same epiphany. That epihany being the that my parents weren't as dumb as I thought they were. LOL
  • kennacoconut
    kennacoconut Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    They were right about that one boyfriend I had, who only dated me because I worked 12hrs a day -_-
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    My mother left our family when I was 13 so my brother (then 6) and I were raised by our father. I'm 49 now and 3 years ago I was diagnosed with cancer. As happens to most folks, when I started chemo I lost my hair. As soon as it started to fall out my dad sent me an email (he lives 70 miles from me)....the email was a picture of him smiling at me....bald as a cue ball...with a short note saying "I love you and I'm here to support you any way I can." My wonderful, 70 yr old father with a full head of brown hair shaved his head and kept it shaved until my hair grew back in a year later. It meant so incredibly much to me at the time, and still does. He's an amazing guy and I couldn't love him anymore than I do.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Well, my mom and dad decided they wanted to help me recently. They gave me 1000 dollars so I can go to adult night classes to get certification to be a vet assistant. It was a shocking and very much appreciated gesture from them.
  • lamoursuffit
    Options
    My wonderful, 70 yr old father with a full head of brown hair shaved his head and kept it shaved until my hair grew back in a year later. It meant so incredibly much to me at the time, and still does. He's an amazing guy and I couldn't love him anymore than I do.

That's so sweet! I know my dad would have done the same thing!