Skinny Baked Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese

Options
jedikrissy
jedikrissy Posts: 106 Member
I just made this tonight and it turned out awesome! So I thought I would share, great for pasta/cheese lovers like me. :smile:
Courtesy of skinnytaste.com

Skinny Baked Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 6 pts • Points+: 8 pts
Calories: 314.9 • Fat: 9.8 g • Protein: 17.7 g • Carb: 44.3 g • Fiber: 6.3 g • Sugar: 4 g
Sodium: 215.7 (without salt)

Ingredients:

12 oz high fiber elbows like Ronzoni Smart Taste *(I used superstores blue menu 100% whole grain hole wheat macaroni)
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp light butter
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup minced onion
(*I also added 2 cloves of garlic)
2 cups skim milk
1 cup fat free and or low sodium chicken broth (vegetarians use vegetable broth)
8 oz (2 cups) Sargento shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar
salt and fresh pepper to taste
12 oz fresh broccoli florets (I used pre-cut bag)
1/8 cup grated parmesan
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
cooking spray

Directions:
Cook pasta and broccoli together in a large pot of salted water, according to package directions for al dente (or slightly under cook 2 minutes). Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 375°.

In a large, heavy skillet, melt butters. Add onion and garlic and cook over low heat about 2 minutes, add flour and cook another minute, or until the flour is golden and well combined. Add milk and chicken broth and whisk, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil; cook about 5 minutes or until the sauce becomes smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper. (* I did not season with salt, that's just cause I don't like salt)

Once the sauce is thick, remove from heat, add cheese and mix well until cheese is melted. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, (*again no extra salt required) add cooked macaroni and broccoli and mix well. Pour into prepared baking dish. Top with grated cheese and breadcrumbs.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, then broil for a few minutes to get the breadcrumbs golden.

Replies