Lapse VS Relapse

Options
I think one of the most difficult things to overcome is when we "slip up" and eat something not on our plan. We all need to understand that there is a difference between having a lapse and having a relapse.

LAPSE: a temporary slip-up, typically due to a single instance of forgetfulness, inattention (or lack or willpower)
RELAPSE: a series of events that causes you to fall back into an unhealthy way of life, after a period of improvement

The key is to not let a lapse turn into a relapse.

Today: You get to work and someone brought in doughnuts. You eat one. That is a lapse... Suddenly "Well, I already ate a doughnut. I might as well eat Pizza for lunch. Since I already effed up for the day I might as well do the Chinese Food Buffet for dinner tonight."

Tomorrow: "I have this leftover Pizza that I don't want to go to waste. I'll eat it for breakfast. Well 'being good' today is ruined, McDonalds for lunch sounds soooo good. In fact, why don't I just give myself the week off and start this healthy thing again on Monday."

Monday comes and you:
a) conveniently forget to eat healthy and exercise
b) tell yourself that you have plenty of time to lose weight... why start today?
c) try to make up for last week by not eating... end up binging instead
d) eat a healthy breakfast and then remember how awesome that doughnut tasted and head to the breakroom for another telling yourself "just one more", eat 3
e) say what's the point? It's too hard and you are just not worth it.

Keep yourself from going into Relapse by doing the following:
- Remember a LAPSE is TEMPORARY and NORMAL. It happens to all of us. It is not the end of the world.
- Get back on track immediately. The longer you wait, the harder it will become
- Be aware of the situations, environments, people, and patterns that pull you back or make you lapse.
- Set healthy boundaries so that you aren’t subjected to these temptations day after day.

Let's love ourselves and keep moving forward.

Replies

• juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Love it!!! I needed this reminder today :happy:
  • martintanz
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. In '04 into '05, I managed to take off 60 lbs, and got down to under 210 lbs at my lowest, which, though overweight, was still not bad for me. Managed to keep it off for the next 3 years by weighing myself regularly and getting to the gym 4 or 5 times a week. While I was maintaining, I had plenty of cheat meals, and still managed to keep most of the weight off.

Than, something happened and the weight crept up, than after another year, crept up some more.

From 2010 through the spring of 2012 every couple of months, I would tell myself I was going to start eating healthy...soon. Then something would happen and I would indulge in pancakes and sausage, french fries, or a Chinese buffet and would tell myself, not this week/month/whatever. It is frustrating because had I managed to turn things around in 2009 or 2010, I might be almost back where I need to be instead of, maybe a third or a quarter of the way there. Such is life. You dust yourself off and get back to work.

Go Packers!
  • Chuckle_n_Dwindle
    Options

Let's love ourselves and keep moving forward.

Love this Ms. amydee!!! The word can be a very dark place at times, people like you make it better!! Keep shining!
  • martintanz
    Options
    More love and less self loathing. I think disappointment, self criticism, even self loathing are what kept me from getting back on the weight loss wagon earlier.
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    More love and less self loathing. I think disappointment, self criticism, even self loathing are what kept me from getting back on the weight loss wagon earlier.

Love! Love all the things!!! :flowerforyou:

Except for the fat. Hate the fat.:mad:
  • thathockeychick23
    Options
    I love this. Knowing the difference is huge. When I have a lapse, I work that much harder to get back into the next day. I never want to relapse and go back to the way it was before. It's not worth it.
  • JenniferARoss
    JenniferARoss Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Well said! :smile:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Excellent post!
  • jungalist
    jungalist Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    This is a PERFECT post - and more people should read this!!!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this. I just had to eat pizza for lunch, long story, no other options. I could def see that lapse turning into an all day thing, and then an all weekend thing, and well you know where that goes. Very timely and thanks so MUCH! I read a really good book called The Thin Commandments Diet that has a really good plan for getting back on track the day after a lapse or binge. I am really glad you posted this because I needed to read it!
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! Love this post!!!
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options

Go Packers!

Your post was great right up to the end.... You spelled Bears wrong ;p

But seriously to the poster: LOVE IT! thank you for the reminder that "cheating" isn't cheating, it is normal and okay. I tend to be really hard on myself when I do silly things like have a donut... I always still watch the consumption, never "give up" on the day but I beat myself up for allowing myself the sugar (I cut sugar almost completely out of my diet...) or the bad carbs, or whatever it is that doens't "meet" the plan. It's good to be reminded we can treat ourselves every so often... not VERY often...
  • amydee714
    Options
    Bump
  • elizawe
    elizawe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    T
  • elizawe
    elizawe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Than, something happened and the weight crept up, than after another year, crept up some more.

From 2010 through the spring of 2012 every couple of months, I would tell myself I was going to start eating healthy...soon. Then something would happen and I would indulge in pancakes and sausage, french fries, or a Chinese buffet and would tell myself, not this week/month/whatever. It is frustrating because had I managed to turn things around in 2009 or 2010, I might be almost back where I need to be instead of, maybe a third or a quarter of the way there. Such is life. You dust yourself off and get back to work.

That was me, always telling myself I would be better the next meal, the next day, and so on. Then one day I looked at some pictures of myself and thought, is that my big a**? I've learned now that the only way to do this is to make a permanent lifestyle change and eat less and be responsible. Lapses are fine but I don't justify them for more than one meal or one day. I'm saying no to the relapse. I am not going back there again!!!
  • KauandMe
    KauandMe Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Love this! Thanks for posting.
  • moraldd
    moraldd Posts: 99
    Options
    Wow, great post.
  • amydee714
    Options
    bump