I wish I liked to exercise :(

Options
I have to admit that I am really lazy and don't like working out. I especially dont like weight training but that is what I need most for my goal of toning up. Has anyone gone from not liking it to loving it? I wish I were one of those people who loves being in the gym and looks forward to it. I dont want to dread this every week. Any advice or words of encouragement?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You need to find something that you do enjoy doing. Take some classes, try new forms of exercise. When you find one you like, it will be easier to do it regularly. Then, you can get in the habit of going. Once you are in the habit, you'll find it easier to do the things you don't like to do.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I hated exercise for years. PE at school was my worst nightmare. Now I am old I exercise pretty much every day.

Best advice i can offer is to try a few different things; you might find something that you like. If you can do that, you're so much more likely to stick at it. Also, if it's something in a group or with a friend, you have the 'not wanting to let the group/ friend down' thing to keep you going too.

good luck!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    2 weeks makes a habit.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    See if your local gym has Les Mills classes. I go to Body Pump which is a lifting class with the benefits of the classroom atmosphere and lifting. It's not as serious as lifting heavy in the gym, but it might get you into lifting. If lifting isn't your thing, tho, you don't have to do it. You can do body weight exercises (google it or search on youtube) and tone that way. Just keep trying to find something you like. There are lots of "video games" for exercise now, too.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that I am really lazy and don't like working out. I especially dont like weight training but that is what I need most for my goal of toning up. Has anyone gone from not liking it to loving it? I wish I were one of those people who loves being in the gym and looks forward to it. I dont want to dread this every week. Any advice or words of encouragement?

With strength training one of the keys is to fall in love with progress. That every single session you are lifting more or doing more reps, and you go with a mission to set all new personal records every time out.

With running it helps to time yourself and push for new personal records almost every time out.

Exercise itself does kinda suck, but the process of improvement and progression more than makes up for that.
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I also HATE weight training...but I love running. One of the things that motivated me to go near the 'scary machines' was knowing that having stronger abs & upper body would help me run better. I also like people watching at the gym! :wink:

Is there a form of exercise that you do enjoy? If so, see how the gym can help or supplement it.

If not, maybe allow yourself a reward after a good session...not a food one, but a nice face mask, session in the steam room or whatever else you might enjoy.
  • Jayme34
    Jayme34 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    my advice, try ZUMBA classes!!! they are so much fun , it hardly feels like excercise, more like a party:smile: I am addicted too it! i also like aquafit or water aerobics:) When its fun you wont mind doing it, you will look forward to it. I also use the curves circuit and love it:)
  • sparkie51
    sparkie51 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Like it? NO but I have to do it. The person who said 2 weeks makes a habit is correct. I need it now,my body gets angry if it doesn't work out!
  • chellie47
    chellie47 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Sorry :( I wish I could help but I feel the same way. My hubby said it gets easier - 4+ months and 48 lbs down.... and he lied lol :) I would appreciate any help also ... tried treadmill, biking and various DVDs....
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Take heart! Losing weight and getting in shape is about 80% food choices and 20% exercise....TRUTH!

I myself hate to "workout" BUT I love to turn up music and dance! What do you like to do...walk in the park, hike, play tennis, golf, bowling, yoga, etc.

Don't worry about weights and lifting and so forth...do what you like! Believe me, if you force yourself to take up something you know you don't like then it will be short lived and not help you for life long fitness.

Best of Luck! You will find what it is! Don't worry :flowerforyou:
  • HawtTamale
    HawtTamale Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Everyone here is right - you need to find something you love. I didn't like exercising either, but after I got a Personal Trainer I found I LOVED lifting heavy weight!! It makes me feel strong and those endorphins make it all worthwhile. The best part, it doesn't even take long before you start seeing results!! I was afraid to try it before because I had no idea what muscles to target, how to properly do the exercises, and what weights to use. Getting an expert to help me, really helped develop my love for working out.

Keep at it and don't give up. Nothing worth having ever came easy :D
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of exercises i don't like, it takes self discipline!!! You have to want result bad enough to stay disciplined!!!
  • CHERUBUMS
    CHERUBUMS Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The thing I hated most about exercise was sweating. EWWWW! lol I hated the feel of my clothes wet and clinging to all my extra rolls and curves. I felt like a spectacle at the gym and was so incredibly self concious.
    I no longer go to the gym, I have 3 small children 5 and under at home and can't take the time to go out when I'm needed constantly at home. That being said, I have learned that a good workout and a good sweat, in the privacy of my own home is a great thing. My husband and I have invested in a TRX supsension trainer (LOVE IT! for body weight resistance strength training), kettlebells for lifting weights, a treadmill and a stationary spinning cycle as well as a TRX rip trainer. We also have hand weights, yoga mat, etc and some exercise videos. I love putting on my ipod and listening to really upbeat music to push me to move. You can't possibly move slowly to fast music! LOL
    Think of sweating as a personal cleanse! Your body is ridding itself of toxins as you sweat them out. Not only does exercise burn calories its a cleanse for your body, getting rid of harmful toxins that are built up from the foods you consume, the environmental junk you breathe in, etc.
    Besides, I know that I lose more inches when I move and tone my body than from eating less alone.
    I guess you could say my philosophy on exercise has changed, especially when it comes to sweating!
    Michelle
  • shelbyarod
    Options
    It is hard, especially when you first start out... You just really need to find something you like to do, or listen to music or watch tv or netflix while on the treadmill or elliptical or bike...I read somewhere that it takes about 2 months for something to become a habit...so don't give up! It was hard for me to start because I get so bored easily, but I just remind myself how good I feel afterwards and that usually helps...Good Luck to you! :happy:
  • noelieTREX
    Options
    I hate exercising too! I mostly do zumba classes or force myself onto the gym floor when I miss class. There are a lot of body pump, kickboxing and crossfit-type classes that incorporate weight training in a group setting. I'd recommend those because finding motivation to finish a set on your own can be daunting. I'm hoping it gets easier too- I've written up a list of all the good feelings I have after working out and keep it on my alarm clock so at 6am when it's going off I can try to remember why it's so important to head to the (stupid) gym instead of sleeping until 7:30. Hope you find your motivation!
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I hated it at first. Big time. But now I get really grouchy if I don't get a workout in. It took awhile to reach that point though.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    No one likes exercise. We do it because we don't want to be fat anymore. That's all the encouragement I need.
  • Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Keep at it...soon the addiction will set in. I have been doing this for 3+ years now and I can't go a day without exercise....my body craves it and it's really like a drug addiction as I get high after weight lifting with a chilled out mood.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Me too Hun.
    I'm not a fan of it although I do enjoy swimming and the aqua fit classes xx
  • mylove0mylife
    Options
    Make yourself do it. If you do it enough times you'll get better at it ,and either like it, or just suck it up and do it. Or, find classes and try different things. Maybe you don't like the gym, but LOVE kickboxing? Maybe you on't like walking, but love zumba.