diabetes can be beat! I am living prrof!

Options
poedunk65
poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
3 months ago my A1c was at 12.7, now 3months later and about 35 lbs lighter from thaqt time I am at 6.3, daily glucose was 450-500, now at 88. I started my lifestyle change about 7 months ago and am now over 50lbs lighter.

It CAN be accomplished with 3 things: Har Work, Dedication and perseverence!

Read "Forks over KNives" and take from it what you need to use.

I am here for anyone who needs help but is willing ot try and stick to it.

No sympathy though.

Good luck to all and here's to a better life!

Replies

• Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Well done!
    Great to hear a positive outcome.:smile:
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Great stuff. Congrats! It took me a full year & 66 lbs before I was able to discontinue the meds & I now feel great. My doctor was thrilled with my progress. (I conveniently stayed away the full year) Staying med free is the biggest motivator of all. Wishing you continued success.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    3 months ago my A1c was at 12.7, now 3months later and about 35 lbs lighter from thaqt time I am at 6.3, daily glucose was 450-500, now at 88. I started my lifestyle change about 7 months ago and am now over 50lbs lighter.

It CAN be accomplished with 3 things: Har Work, Dedication and perseverence!

Read "Forks over KNives" and take from it what you need to use.

I am here for anyone who needs help but is willing ot try and stick to it.

No sympathy though.

Good luck to all and here's to a better life!

You are a HUGE motivation for me. My father is dying from diabetes. He was diagnosed when he was 19. He thought it was a joke. Now, he has had multiple amputations, he is legally blind, and he has kidney failure.... among other things.

I was diagnosed with Diabetes on March 4, 2011 -- when I was 27. The weekend I was diagnosed, I went to visit my father. He went into insulin shock right in front of me. I thought he was dying. I couldn't quit throwing up from being so scared. I lost 42 pounds in 2 or 3 months... and turned around my A1C. I've also been taken off my meds. However... I gained a lot of that weight back.... so, I'm turning myself back around. I REFUSE to become my father. I love him... but, I refuse to be like him.

Thank you for your story. Again... you are a big encouragement to me. Thank you. :flowerforyou:
  • ClassicGirl79
    ClassicGirl79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Great job! I recently tested high, in the "pre-diabetic" range (whatever THAT really means), and it scared the heck out of me. I got back on the wagon Monday, and saw my doc again today for a follow-up. My goal is to get it under control before it gets too far gone, and I've got a month or so to start making measurable progress before she starts talking meds (she said she'd let me try "lifestyle modification" for a while and see how it goes, but my A1C test is in 30 days!).

Your post is just what I needed to see now (I especially loved the "no sympathy!") - thanks! You rock! :-)
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on managing your diabetes through lifestyle choices! That is amazing. :)
  • abdavison1
    Options
    Good job and very encouraging! I was diagnosed with insulin resistance about 6 years ago. I do take medication but my A1C is at a normal level on the last check. I have since lost 33 pounds so I am interested to see what it is now :) Please, please educate yourselves about diet and listen to your doctors! I wish it had not taken me 4 to 5 years to not be in denial about my weight and what I needed to do for ME and not someone else. I have lost a total of 53 pounds since I began my journey. I still have 107 to go. I feel SO much better already. Make the lifestyle changes! They are so worth it and you won't miss the old crap you were eating or your old self. Keep up the good work on the road to health everyone!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Great job!

My highest A1c was 5.3 - not all that high, but it was a warning sign and a motivator for me to take some control and do something about it. My last A1c was 4.3 so I'm in the same boat as you - hard work, dedication and perseverance has paid off.

I will qualify your opening though - SOME diabetes can be beat. Unfortunately, sometimes it's just genetics. :ohwell:
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I don't buy the genetics part, sure My mother is a type 2 diabetic so of course I am more prone to it.

But it can bechanged by how and what you eat. Genetics is just another one of those excuses designed to make you lose the battle.

Of course I am only talking about type 2 diabetes and not any other.
    Great job!

My highest A1c was 5.3 - not all that high, but it was a warning sign and a motivator for me to take some control and do something about it. My last A1c was 4.3 so I'm in the same boat as you - hard work, dedication and perseverance has paid off.

I will qualify your opening though - SOME diabetes can be beat. Unfortunately, sometimes it's just genetics. :ohwell:
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    This is awesome, man. Congratulations. A longer, better life is it's own reward.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!