Insanity Advice Please

Options
Insanity question for those who have done it.. Before this workout I was losing a steady .5-1 lb a week and now that I have been doing insanity I gained. I have been only doing it for a week so I was hoping it is because it is a new workout program? I have been sore so could the weight be from retaining water in my muscles? If so, when will my weight go back down? Annnddd last but not least.. how long before you saw the number start dropping and started seeing results? Thank you for your answers. I really appreciate it. Have a great day and weekend!

If you want to post your before and after pic/ or measurements that's appreciated too and will help me through some tough weeks ahead :)

Thanks again :)

Replies

• jessthib09
    jessthib09 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump :flowerforyou:
  • jessthib09
    Options
    someone? Anyone? Please?

:ohwell:
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Almost any time you start a new workout program, especially one as intense as insanity you will gain 2-3 lbs in the first week and then steadily start to lose again.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/358446-is-it-normal-to-gain-weight-after-you-start-intense-workout-routine/

Especially check out this link it is well written: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/595473-why-the-scale-goes-up-with-a-new-workout-program-must-read
  • jessthib09
    Options
    Thank you so much!
    I really really appreciate your advice and that is exactly what I needed to read. I am going to keep pushing and hope by my 2 week fit test that will be the turning point :)

Thanks again! :smile:
  • krorvik
    krorvik Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The soreness will go away. And sometimes you need to increase your calorie intake for this type of intense workout added to your daily routine then you will start seeing the weight drop.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    also don't check the scale...check the mirror and measuring tape...
    Muscles are heavier... You will gain weight but lose inches...That the main goal here.. Burn fat! :)

Keep it up :) don't give up
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    Are you following the nutrition plan? I did, to the max, which played a big part in me losing 17 pounds and crazy inches all over by the time I was finished.

Also, are you drinking a 100% whey protein drink and a recovery formula? Both are designed to help you recover faster and repair your muscles. I highly recommend if you aren't already taking these. :-)
  • jessthib09
    Options
    also don't check the scale...check the mirror and measuring tape...
    Muscles are heavier... You will gain weight but lose inches...That the main goal here.. Burn fat! :)

Keep it up :) don't give up
    The soreness will go away. And sometimes you need to increase your calorie intake for this type of intense workout added to your daily routine then you will start seeing the weight drop.

I need to break up with the scale.. seriously. I check it daily and I know that is soo bad but I can't help it. I just asked my boyfriend it hide it except for the fit test days :drinker: Big deal for me lol

And for calories I was only eating 1200 so I am going to try 1400-1500 and hope for the best :)

I can't wait for measurements to help keep me going. Thanks for the replies guys!! :) I appreciate it :smile:
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here. I am on month two of Insanity, and you need to realize that the biggest difference you will see is in your body, not the numbers on the scale. For a while, you may appear to stall in terms of the numbers, but if you take measurements you will see steady progress.

For me, I lost over 11 inches in the first 17 days, and that was only a loss of 3 lbs. So I looked very different, but the scale didn't really show it, because I was changing my body composition.

For one of my Insanity friends here, she saw very little change until she got to month two, and that's when the weight and inches started falling off. Just stick with it because the results are there.

Stick to the diet RELIGIOUSLY, people who eat properly see results much faster. I was eating 40/40/20 carb/protein/fat the first month and have switched now to fat shredder diet (50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fat) in month two, which is really working for me. I also try to eat 1500 cals a day. The workout is intense enough that you will still lose weight.

ETA: I blog my Insanity daily, so if you want to look you might find helpful information on upcoming workouts or tips that could help you.

www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/1concretegirl

Another great Insanity blog is my friend Dana's, at www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/danasings

hope that helps!!
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    From personal experience....UP YOUR CALORIES. When I did it about a year ago, I was not eating enough (I wasn't logging at the time). I did not lose much at all (weight or inches), although I did gain strength and endurance. I was probably eating 1200C or less per day. That was not enough fuel even though I'm small (5' 1"). My HRM gives me about a 350-400C burn for most workouts (first month). I'm back at it now and eating 1700-1800C. Don't fear eating more (healthy, clean) food!
  • dwan28
    dwan28 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well u know muscle weighs more than fat. That's y your getting the weight gain. I did in. sanity and completed it. Now I'm on my second round and my legs look like I've ran track for years. I've lost alot of inches. It will go down, just keep at it.
  • clairegoodey
    clairegoodey Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I did the first 4 weeks then got a bad chest so had to stopped GUTTED I did not loose as much I lost about 1lb per week however my body shape, especially my thighs. They are now a wobbly mess they were getting really firm. I do miss feeling fit.. I may start it again it was just such a commitment with two little girls under 3 :-)
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I would defiantly advise to use the equation in the nutrition guide to calculate your calories Hun, I don't think you're getting enough. I can have 1800 and I lost 16lbs my first round and 6 inches off my waist. At first I was eating the 1200 that MFP suggests but the very weekend I upped my cals the weight started dropping off! Keep going!
  • Nikcalories
    Nikcalories Posts: 20 Member
    Options

ETA: I blog my Insanity daily, so if you want to look you might find helpful information on upcoming workouts or tips that could help you.

Another great Insanity blog is my friend Dana's, at www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/danasings

hope that helps!!

Concretegirl-love your blog. I'm on day 14 and read your days 1-14. you sound like me - 5 am is a killer and I love the workouts and how much I sweat. You're very encouraging!

Just curious - do you eat anything prior to your 5 am workout? I workout same time as you, roll out of bed and just turn on the DVD. I find I'm weak, probably because I'm still groggy, but I still get through it.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options
    Hey! Thanks for the kind words! Glad you enjoy the blog. As for your question, I have tried half a cup of chocolate milk before and after my workout and I enjoyed that, but I have ended up doing Insanity on an empty stomach 98% of the time and I like that for me. I usually feel weak through the first two warmup rounds, but by the time I wake up I am ok. If you feel weak the whole way, try the 1% chocolate milk, which is also apparently the best recovery drink too. After the workout I immediately drink a protein shake (or try to, it might be up to an hour later). Hope that helps!

hope that helps!!

Concretegirl-love your blog. I'm on day 14 and read your days 1-14. you sound like me - 5 am is a killer and I love the workouts and how much I sweat. You're very encouraging!

Just curious - do you eat anything prior to your 5 am workout? I workout same time as you, roll out of bed and just turn on the DVD. I find I'm weak, probably because I'm still groggy, but I still get through it.
  • jessthib09
    Options
    All of these relies are perfect and I appreciate it! I tried 1400 for the last couple nights and the scale didn't move either way so I am going to try 1500 but I am nervous because that will be the highest my cals have ever been throughout my journey so far. I also need to invest in a heart rate monitor so I know what I am burning personally. I am definitely going to check those blogs out!! Thanks!! Btw I am 5'5" and 166-167 ish pounds right now. So more than 1500? And should I up the cals in slow increments? And how do I know when I find the right amount?

Thanks again!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    Options
    All of these relies are perfect and I appreciate it! I tried 1400 for the last couple nights and the scale didn't move either way so I am going to try 1500 but I am nervous because that will be the highest my cals have ever been throughout my journey so far. I also need to invest in a heart rate monitor so I know what I am burning personally. I am definitely going to check those blogs out!! Thanks!! Btw I am 5'5" and 166-167 ish pounds right now. So more than 1500? And should I up the cals in slow increments? And how do I know when I find the right amount?

Thanks again!

I am 5'5" and I started at 161, so we are starting almost at the exact same place. As far as calories go, the HRM will help you be more accurate, but I have been netting about 1000 pretty consistently for the past 2 months, meaning about 1400 total calories, but all of that is EXTREMELY nutrient dense: no alcohol, no sugar, no refined wheats and flours.... Right now I am eating about 1300 net in month 2 and still losing, which is about a total of 1800 calories daily.

One thing that I think you are doing wrong is expecting to see a change after 1400 for the past few days. Give it a good week or two at 1400 calories, weigh once a week, and then decide whether it worked for you. Either way, you will be gaining muscle. This really is a journey, and you won't get anywhere in just a few days. Stay strong and stay motivated; the results are there if you eat right and don't get discouraged!