Inventing new baked Tofu!

Options
About a month ago, I thought up the idea of slicing lite firm tofu into 12 thin rectangles and coating them with Shake N Bake Parmesan flavor and baking them 20 minutes each side on 400 degrees. They are EXCELLENT! So delicious!

So back to the inventing stage, I decided to pulverize to dust, General Mills Cheerios Multi Grain Peanut Butter flavor. I just coated the tofu with the Cheerios dust and well, they are cooking now.
Doing it with the Cheerios is a little higher in calorie then the shake n bake, but is probably healthier.

Shake N Bake = 172 calories for 7 oz of tofu 1/2 the box or 6 slices
Cheerios coating = 212 calories for 7 oz of tofu, 1/2 the box or 6 slices.

I can say the Shake N Bake way is GOOD, I'll get back to you on the verdict for the PB cheerios way.

Replies

• Galileogst
    Galileogst Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This sound awesome! Thank you for sharing! It is always a pain to get the non-Vegetarians in the house to eat tofu. :)
  • Sadedoes
    Sadedoes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Do you drain, rinse, press & marinate?

If you just cook it without pressing it it doesn't absorb other flavours and won't be as tasty.
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    More info on the process please. I've tried marinating and cooking tofu before and just couldn't do it. I need some more high protein options that aren't always animal based so this sound interesting.
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I was marinating and grilling it, but then started inventing my own method which is baking and I like it alot with the Parmesan crusted Shake n Bake... that truly does look, smell and taste like mozzarella sticks.

The verdict is on the Cheerios dust.. Skip it.. not enough flavor.

It's ok, but would need a flavor boost somewhere and I am not sure what I"d add to peanut butter flavor that is a powder that would be good. I'll have to think about it. Meanwhile, back to just the Parmesan coated. I made both kinds tonight in case my husband didn't like the Cheerios style.. and turns out he didn't. So lucky him, he'll get his favorite the Shake N Bake tofu.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I'm making miso baked tofu tonight... kinda excited :)
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    What is Miso baked tofu?
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    shake n bake on tofu sounds good! I need to try this. :smile:
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You can do this with corn flour, salt and pepper too. Gosh I miss salt and pepper tofu
  • thewalrusisfree
    Options
    yup definitely all about trying the shake and bake tofu! thanks for the idea. we usually do bbq tofu but that sweet baby rays sauce can make things really high in calories