28 reasons you're making it hard to reach your goal

Options
sleepytexan
sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
It's amazing how otherwise rational people will talk themselves out of their own goals. Feel free to add more excuses.

I don't want to lose too much weight bc then:

1. I will lose my curves.
2. My skin will be saggy
3. My SO won't be attracted to me
4. My SO will be threatened by the attention I'll get from others
5. My family will tell me I look sick
6. My overweight friends and co-workers won't like me anymore
7. I will have to buy new clothes
8. I will look older
9. I will get the wrong kind of attention

I can't / don't exercise because:

1. Everyone will stare at me
2. Everyone at the gym wears makeup and is not really there to work out
3. I hate working out
4. I don't want to get bulky
5. I don't like to sweat
6. It is too expensive
7. I have children
8. I have a job
9. I go to school
10. I don't have time

I don't: eat more than 1200 calories / eat any carbs / eat my exercise calories back / eat anything at all bc:

1. I am going to lose 50 lbs for my reunion / wedding / special event
2. Eating a lot of calories is what got me fat
3. It is the only way to lose weight
4. I can't -- I'm too full
5. I just forget to eat
6. It defeats the purpose
7. There's no such thing as starvation mode
8. There are no peer-reviewed studies that prove that I should
9. Every body is different!

Replies

• Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I used many of these before I got serious about dropping the weight. Although I still don't go to the gym, and I freely admit it's because I'm a big chicken. :blushing:
  • yobby1969
    yobby1969 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm still a little concerned about saggy skin. I've decided to quit worrying about it and go for it! I would rather lower my risk of getting cancer or other major disease, than worry about loose skin! Plus losing it slowly and working out like crazy is helping with the skin issue anyway. Just Do It!! = )
  • wildcat808
    wildcat808 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i can relate to a few of these! last week, i got my hair done and almost let that become an excuse to not sweat. i got over it, though. straightened, styled hair vs. a sexy bod. the goal of a sexy bod won. plus, i was bound to have to wash it sometime anyways ;)
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how otherwise rational people will talk themselves out of their own goals. Feel free to add more excuses.

8. I will look older

This one is definitely true though. I've noticed that women over 35 or so who lose a lot of weight look older in their face. Thus far, I think my weightloss has made my face look better and younger, but I think if I somehow got down to the weight I was in much of my 20's, this could easily happen.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I don't want to lose too much weight because I want to stay strong... When I get small I feel less powerful or something. Like somebody could push me around more. Or more fragile? Does that make sense...

Sometimes I don't want to exercise because of my spine/neck/knee/hip pain... But I tell myself just 10 minutes worth.. And that usually leads to 20-25-30 minutes. Plus all this mega daily walking I do normally.... And dog walks... Theres always epson salt baths and stretching, and medicine to help with pain.

Its scarey to eat at higher calorie ranges because I have been brainwashed my whole life to eat that 1200 ish level to lose weight.
    Go figure.. I had about 1700 ish yesterday. And lost weight yesterday... As opposed to earlier in the week at 1500 ish.. or lower..

I like your lists and your topic.. Its a good reminder of some of these reasons...
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I don't want to lose too much weight because I want to stay strong... When I get small I feel less powerful or something. Like somebody could push me around more. Or more fragile? Does that make sense...

Sometimes I don't want to exercise because of my spine/neck/knee/hip pain... But I tell myself just 10 minutes worth.. And that usually leads to 20-25-30 minutes. Plus all this mega daily walking I do normally.... And dog walks... Theres always epson salt baths and stretching, and medicine to help with pain.

Its scarey to eat at higher calorie ranges because I have been brainwashed my whole life to eat that 1200 ish level to lose weight.
    Go figure.. I had about 1700 ish yesterday. And lost weight yesterday... As opposed to earlier in the week at 1500 ish.. or lower..

I like your lists and your topic.. Its a good reminder of some of these reasons...

For me it was "Just give up, this is just what happens when you get older (gaining weight and looking frumpy)". I'm glad I didn't give up because I've achieved my goal. -Bobbie
  • acuratlsd
    acuratlsd Posts: 228
    Options
    My sister got so sick because she got malnutrition from being on a vegan diet. I had to tell her that she looked sick. I think that finally sealed the deal and she finally picked up some real protein. Like a piece of chicken.

She looked like she could play the main character from the movie Stephen King's Thinner
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pglassnnp
    pglassnnp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    LOL..someone did say to me once..."grapes look younger than raisins"...and That's always been in the back of my mind....those crows feet dont show up with my face is fat...BUT...I'll take the crows feet!!!
  • pglassnnp
    pglassnnp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hmm...i think the quote was "Grapes don't have wrinkles"....see, even my memory has shrunk!!!
  • showmeswty
    showmeswty Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't: eat more than 1200 calories / eat any carbs / eat my exercise calories back / eat anything at all bc:

2. Eating a lot of calories is what got me fat
    3. It is the only way to lose weight
    6. It defeats the purpose

This section is the one that I'm not entirely convinced about yet admittedly. It does seem that I don't lose any weight unless I'm eating about 1300-1400 calories but exercising many of those off leaving me with a net of about 700 or so calories. I eat several times a day so most times I don't even feel hungry, although that doesn't mean the body isn't in starvation mode I guess. I'm fairly new so it is a bit confusing to really determine what the daily caloric intake should be including the calories burned from exercise and in the course of my normal day.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    The French have a saying "Après quarante, vous avez le choix, le visage ou les fesses" which basically translates as "Once you're old, you must choose between having a young face or a fat *kitten*" :bigsmile:

Given that at 80 the years old the choice will be far starker, being for many people "having looked a bit older for the last few years or be dead already" it's not much of a choice for me!
  • wildcat808
    wildcat808 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    The French have a saying "Après quarante, vous avez le choix, le visage ou les fesses" which basically translates as "Once you're old, you must choose between having a young face or a fat *kitten*" :bigsmile:

^^ love it haha
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    "grapes look younger than raisins"
    Grapes last a few days then go mouldy, but raisins last for ages!

I rest my case! :bigsmile:
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I never seem to lose or gain weight in my face. I dunno why. I do wish some of it would come out of my face. I have a round baby face at any weight, from 96 pounds in high school to 180 when I was pregnant. My butt is were I could stand to gain weight. Other than that I would love to still lose my 22 pounds. I don't have an SO, I don't really have fat friends. I do eat my exercise cals. I look younger when I lose weight. As it is my 15 year old son said I look much younger than I am. He said I could pass for his older sister. I was surprised he said this unprompted and not even looking for anything in return. Makes a good day, I guess, huh? :)
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I love this post.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

8. I will look older

This one is definitely true though. I've noticed that women over 35 or so who lose a lot of weight look older in their face. Thus far, I think my weightloss has made my face look better and younger, but I think if I somehow got down to the weight I was in much of my 20's, this could easily happen.

:huh: I am 51
  • LovingCruz
    LovingCruz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Yep. I've got kids! That is the big 1 I'm using at the moment :blushing:
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options

8. I will look older

This hasn't applied to me, I'll be 49 at the end of the month and I am down 100 pounds from a year ago. I've been told I look at least 10 years younger.