Paleo Diet...Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    You can try it. I think it's stupid, but that's because paleolithic people did not eat that way to be healthy. They ate that way because that's the only choice they had. LOL. They also died at age 30. So, think about that. I think it's a silly diet. Those are my thoughts. If you could unfreeze a paleolithic person, I'm pretty sure ice cream and packaged food would amaze them and they would love them.

And then I am sure a large percentage of them would become obese and unhealthy, the way that an increasing number of Americans have.

I don't think Paleo is anything special though, and it keeps a lot of good stuff out of the diet. Why not just eat clean and healthy? Potatoes, Corn, Rice...all good stuff. Just because some ancient NON-EDUCATED humans didn't eat certain things was nto for any reason other than they either weren't available to them, or they didn't know about them. It's stupid, to be frank about it. Why not just not have electricty or plumbing, and all the other things. I mean, go all the way with it. Live in a cave and hunt with spears. Do it all out if you're going to do it. Then, when you get the flu, you just die. No shots or medical care. Sounds like the Paleo people had it made and knew a lot about health care and living. /sarcasm.
  • Flyered_Up
    Options
    Worst mistake I made during my weight loss! Eat carbs and plenty of them! There is no reason to cut them out unless you are carb intolerant.
  • trumpeter26
    trumpeter26 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been doing paleo for about 5 of the 6 months I have been trying to lose weight, I've lost 110 pounds, and my fat body mass has gone down drastically (a little heavier than I was in hs but smaller in size). Like some posters have said, it's a very common sense approach to eating. A lot of people think you need carbs, you do get carbs in the paleo diet, healthy, fresh, unprocessed carbohydrates which are great for you. Instead of bread, eat sweet potatoes and fruit!
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I haven't read anything about cutting out carbs at all...you just get them from a different source.
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love paleo. It does tend to be carb-reduced, but not really by definition. It eliminates grains and encourages you to get carbs from vegetables (including things like sweet potatoes) or fruits (especially berries) instead. It's not really terribly restrictive - especially compared to other reduced-carb plans like Atkins. I think it's definitely worth trying.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    We're in the same boat, lady. I've done paleo (and its derivatives) off and on over the past few years. I struggle - STRUGGLE - to lose weight no matter what, but when I eat paleo/primal I FEEL a million times better on the inside. That's got to count for something :)

Paleo has plenty of carbs, Flyered - just from fruits and vegetables instead of processed grains.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I've had a Paleo/Primal lifestyle for almost a year and it was the BEST thing I did! Thing is...it is a lifestyle and one I easily embraced.

Grains just bloated me anyway, the only dairy I eat is cream in my coffee, don't need cheese.

The folks who want to argue it out are wasting there time with all their nonsense, "caveman would eat ice cream if they could" talk - LOL! Thing is, cavemen didn't die from a poor diet, they died because they naturally had shorter lifespans in general then. They didn't have disease and they didn't eat GMO or processed foods, they had NO carb/sugar addiction because there was no such thing.....They ate what was available, fasting because they had to, and didn't "workout" when they were fasting (meaning waiting for the next beast to happen along or for trees to bear fruit once a year!) Their exercise and foods were natural.

That aside, I have maintained easily and can't understand why for a second anyone eats any different! Pure, clean natural foods, moderate healthy exercise=Happy Life.

Join the Paleo group, it is very supportive.
  • Sk1nny_F4t
    Options
    As a new user of the site but someone who has been paleo for the past 2 years I think this thread sums up the main issue when people hear about paleo: it means different things to different people.

If you are trying to cut body fat you will most likely do a lower carb version, someone who is lifting and maintaining or bulking might eat all the carbs they want. Some add dairy, cheeses, chocolate, alcohol, you get the picture.

No matter how I eat, I need to tune it to fit my specific goals, and it needs to include adequate fat and protein so I am satiated. My biggest take away from the sentiment of your OP was "I can't lose weight".. so what is wrong? Are you fat phobic, do you not have regular meals (skip breakfast,etc.) then binge later when starving?

I think you need to discover what is wrong with how you are doing it if you have been following diets and not losing. Until you figure this out you will keep spinning your wheels. Good luck
  • sonnetsocks
    Options
    I've been on the Paleo diet for a short period and love it. The first week I saw increased energy levels. Maintaining it really is not that difficult, but I wasn't eating a lot of grains. I'm a rice person and I was able to cut back on that pretty easy. I've actually lost cravings for the things they suggest not to eat. Which means to me my body doesn't really need it anyways. I'm about 80/20 with it and will probably stay that way. If I want to try and lose more weight I might temporarily go 100%.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Good morning! 3
    I'm 43 5'7" 170 lbs. I'm a runner (finished my first marathon on Sunday!) and I've started Crossfit 2 months ago 2x per week.

I CANNOT lose weight!
    I've been struggling for several years now. I've tried eating more, eating less, etc. I gain and lose the same 5 freaking lbs.
    So Crossfit is a supporter of the Paleo Diet, I've just read the book and was wondering if anyone out there has any thoughts. Thank you!

I eat my own way but I've been told it's "Paleo" check my ticker in my signature for results I've been doing it for 6 months now. I still eat beans and nuts I think your not supposed to eat one of those 2. I also stay away from potatoes and yams as they are high in starch.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Good morning! 3
    I'm 43 5'7" 170 lbs. I'm a runner (finished my first marathon on Sunday!) and I've started Crossfit 2 months ago 2x per week.

I CANNOT lose weight!
    I've been struggling for several years now. I've tried eating more, eating less, etc. I gain and lose the same 5 freaking lbs.
    So Crossfit is a supporter of the Paleo Diet, I've just read the book and was wondering if anyone out there has any thoughts. Thank you!
    Have you assumed a calorie deficit below true maintenance for several years while bouncing between strategies of eating more and less? If you actually managed to do this, that's the source of your problem. Chronic calorie restriction, no matter the degree, for lengthy periods of time takes a person's endocrine system out of the zone that is optimal for fat loss.
  • fasolane
    fasolane Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just started eating Paleo foods and am actually going for a Ketogenic diet for the first month based on a doctors recommendation. I am also a runner, martial artist (where we do a lot of Crossfit "like" workouts) and soccer player. I wasn't dropping any weight after having 2 kids and finally got so frustrated I saw a doctor about it. He put me on the treadmill in his office, hooked me up to the VO2 max machine and I found out that I have been overtraining for years! Do you think this could be your issue as well? If I get my heart rate above 145, I am no longer burning fat, just energy. So now I'm very aware of my training zones and hopefully this will get things going. I am really enjoying the Paleo foods, though. With the ketogenic diet, full fat cheeses, yogurts, and good healthy greens are encouraged. My breakfast this morning was coconut oil, spinach, garlic and 3 scrambled eggs. Delicious and kept my energy levels through way past noon. Good luck with everything!!
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    We do a somewhat paleo/primal diet.... We started before we even know the name of it. My husband though it would be good for us, no processed, no refined sugar, fruit, nuts, lean meats and we do do nuts. It has ony been recently that we learned it is similar to paleo. I have never read any of the book only looked on-line and we are similar except we do eat yogurt and cheese, and for affordability we do not soley eat grass fed. Like I said similar and what fits for our circumstances but not a match. Although I am interested in further investigation into it, and did not know there was a paleo group on this site.
    I love the clearness of mind the power of being free from sugar. Sugar was truly my addicition.
    Good luck in your experimentation.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I think if it means you are motivated to eat more healthy whole foods and reduce processed less filling foods, then it will probably work. I have no intention of eating Paleo, but do agree that closer to source and less processed is better for you.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    i'm reading diet evolution, which tells everything about paleo, not just diet but lifestyle and workouts. i would like to give it a try as it seems to be making sense.
    right now, i'm doing a paleo style, but not that strict. and i'm quite happy about it
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I do 80/20 paleo and love it. I have been working on cutting the last 6% of body fat. It has also helped me cut my sodium in half. I will note, as a runner, it's going to be hard to cut body fat. You can burn a ton of calories and many people rarely eat enough to compensate. Now the advantage to paleo is it's all lean meats, tons of fruits and veggies and the foods are delicious IMHO.

I am a bit confused by this " as a runner, it's going to be hard to cut body fat. " cansomeone explain????
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I do 80/20 paleo and love it. I have been working on cutting the last 6% of body fat. It has also helped me cut my sodium in half. I will note, as a runner, it's going to be hard to cut body fat. You can burn a ton of calories and many people rarely eat enough to compensate. Now the advantage to paleo is it's all lean meats, tons of fruits and veggies and the foods are delicious IMHO.

I am a bit confused by this " as a runner, it's going to be hard to cut body fat. " cansomeone explain????

im going to guess and hope that he means; he personally will have a hard time cutting that last small percentage of weight because he needs to eat more and lift weights, neither of which he does. i think he also maybe is saying that with his running he has a hard time eating enough calories?
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I love what the Paleo Diet is teaching me and what it isn't. I appreciate that my sugar cravings have subsided substantially and that I am eating more whole foods. However, I miss ice cream and cheese so I may adopt a more Primal style diet.
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm 'all in' with the Paleo Diet, although i've been reading alot about it and like to hear what people are doing with it.

I've come off a VLCD program and trying to figure out what works best for me. I'd like to lose a bit more, but also want to feel better. Now I'm trying to get more protein less carbs. I also seem to have some gluten sensitivity.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    There's a really good article in Scientific American about the Paleo diet this month. Turns out, if you look at the actual science, paleolithic man really didn't eat much meat. Definitely worth a read.