very depressed

Options
I have joined MFP about two to three weeks ago. I have lost 9 to 10 pounds. I know its alot at first but having to keep trck of my food now I think is what has done it. My thing is I do not even come close to the calories they give me to eat. I am not a person to eat a whole lot. The days I exercise I may eat a little more but it is still less them they give me and I do not eat back hardly any let alone all of my calories. I guess I am wondering if I will quit loosing weight or if I will keep loosing if I stay doing with what I am doing now or try to eat more. Any ideas would be helpful Thank you.

Replies

• fueledbychange
    fueledbychange Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to be depressed! :flowerforyou:
    Yes, you will probably stop loosing weight very soon since you are eating a small amount of calories, but that's nothing to be down about! It just means you have to up your calories! Make sure you never ever net below 1000.
    Since you are having trouble eating enough calories, try calorie-dense foods, like nuts, nut butters, meat, etc. They give out a LOT of healthy calories with a not very huge serving. Hope this helps! ♥
  • a_stone_girl_dances
    Options
    Do whatever feels healthiest for you. Everyone has a different opinion on the matter. Best of luck to you & congrats on the initial loss!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! you are so under eating, I took a sneaky peak at your diary,I hope you don`t mind???

But being serious, you are so under eating!

Maybe check out some of the success stories on MFP to see how eating a little more can help you?
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    At some point you will stop losing weight. That's just the way our bodies are built. We get results and then the body adjusts. Not sure what mfp says is your minimum but weight loss experts advise most women not to eat less than 1400 calories and men no less than 1200 calories. I suggest a circuit training program three days a week and cardio three days a week with a goal of burning at least 500 calories. IMO anything less than 500 calories is a maintainance mode workout. Change your program every four weeks to prevent plateaus. Good luck with your weight loss journey!
  • dolphintwin2000
    dolphintwin2000 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do work out on my days off. I do an eliptical trainer for 45-50 mins and burn 800-850 in calories. I thought that was good. It is usally 3- 4 days a week
  • dolphintwin2000
    Options
    I felt I was under eating as well. Thats why I asked. No I do not mind that you looked. I am glad you did look. I have been trying to keep fat,sugar,and protien with in also. some of the days they go over. Just needed some help here.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I think you stall out very soon eating as little as you do and burning so much in exercise. I looked at one day your exercise was 800 and you ate 900 cals. Your body can't function on so few cals. No wonder you are depressed.
  • dolphintwin2000
    Options
    I think you stall out very soon eating as little as you do and burning so much in exercise. I looked at one day your exercise was 800 and you ate 900 cals. Your body can't function on so few cals. No wonder you are depressed.

so @ Mads1997: Should I a eat more on the days I work out?
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I started here Aug 3rd 2012, I have lost 30lbs so far, I do not eat all my calories, I never eat the exercise calories either and I do exercise. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I eat 900 to 1000 a day, and MFP gave me 1200
  • Mads1997
    Options
    Hi, if you have set up your MFP stats correctly with your height, weight etc the amount of calories that are given to you by MFP is what you should be eating at the very least. There is already a deficit built in to that amount. If you exercise you then should eat most of those calories back also, That;s why when you add your exercise for the day it adds calories onto your daily total. You will feel much better if you start feeding your body.
  • mylove0mylife
    Options
    Add bigger portions of your protein, maybe? Nuts are great too, like someone already suggested. You could also look into like a protein shakes from GNC for extra filler?
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely. Eat 1200 calories a day at least. On the days you work out, add a protein shake after your workout. You'll replenish your bodies proteins and add the extra calories you need to fuel your body too. You can add me as a friend if you want to!
  • scoxjarrett1
    Options
    Hi I started out eating a lot less then they said I should eat then I talked to a dietician and she said I had to eat more so my body wouldn't go into starvation mode. You should be eating at least 1200 cals a day. My problem was I was eating so little and exercising I was getting less then 1000 cals a day. Eat more your body needs it for energy or it will store everything because it thinks you are starving.
  • Why depressed you should be motivated.. you are one of the very lucky ones who see a loss in weight so quickly. Just follow the heart and your diet schedule, it may halt in between and may not decline at the same pace.. but it will defn go down over a period of time... good luck... share your diary... it will be handy to advise if it needs any modification....
  • nils27
    nils27 Posts: 13
    Options
    Try eating more often. Like between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner. You will get some extra calories in that way. Don't give up you can do this.
  • dolphintwin2000
    Options
    I started here Aug 3rd 2012, I have lost 30lbs so far, I do not eat all my calories, I never eat the exercise calories either and I do exercise. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I eat 900 to 1000 a day, and MFP gave me 1200

MFP gave me 1930 and you can see what I eat. I do not eat the exercise calories either
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You will get depressed if you are eating well below what you are needing and/or not getting the nutrients you need. This is because it does play around with your hormones and brain chemistry, moreso if you are prone to depression anyway. I find when I eat too little, exercise too much etc. my state of mind rapidly deteriorates.
  • Mads1997
    Options
    Try adding in things like nuts, avocado, brown rice and pasta, and protein shakes. You can still have the odd chocolate or sweet if that's what you used to have just don't go overboard, everything in moderation.

Don't give up you can do this. I hope you feel better soon.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Although I do not know your stats, such as weight, age, body fat percentage, I can state with certainty that eating 950 calories and engaging in 800 calories of exercise is going to result in a very depressed resting metabolic rate and leptin concentration levels as well as ridiculously elevated cortisol levels, and amenorrhea - you keep maintaining that massive deficit and you will eventually lose bone mass density.

A massive deficit from eating so little and exercising excessively is not the answer. You need to set an appropriate deficit according to how much fat mass you have. If you have between 1-15 lbs to lose, elect a 0.5 lb fat weight loss; 16-30 lbs to lose, a 0.5 to 1 lb weight loss; 31-55 lbs, a 1 to 1.5 lb weight loss; 56-75 lbs to lose, a 1.5 to 2 lb; 76 lbs or more is 2 lbs weight loss per week.