Does Anyone Have Gluten Free Recipes?

Options
FitnessPalWorks
FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
So, after 8 years of suffering, my cousin recently determined she is allergic to gluten. I'm starting to think I am as well as we seem to always have lot of the same physical ailments. I'm going to try to cut it out of my diet to see if I do have a gluten sensitivity as well.

I started off my journey with having Tofu for dinner last night and LOVED IT.... (sauteed with just a little extra virgin olive oil and some sweet and sour sauce drizzled on it after it was cooked... YUM!)

Do any of you have any recipes or foods (that I can put in my purse for a snack) that can help me on this journey? The info I'm finding on the 'net seems so vague, I don't even know what to look for! Help! :\

Replies

• LyneLM
    LyneLM Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Healthful Pursuit (www.healthfulpursuit.com) is a great site (really!); interesting recipes on Skinnytaste too (www.skinnytaste.com).
  • hadley1998
    hadley1998 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes!! My husband was diagnosed with Celiac's Disease about 6 years ago. Since then we have changed our diets for the better. There are so many gluten free foods out there that taste great. I usually make things from scratch. Here are a few recipes:
    Macaroni and Cheese- 1 box of corn elbow pasta( I like heartland)-it boils like regular pasta and taste like regular pasta. DO NOT BUY DEBOYLES PASTA as a substitue-taste nasty!!)), 8oz of reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, 1 can of fat free or 2% evaporated milk, 2 tbsp of butter. (set oven to 350 degrees)
    1. Boil pasta-set aside(do not rinse starch off) the starch helps the cheese bind more with the pasta.
    2. In a large mixing bowl, mix hot pasta, 6 oz of cheese, 1 can of milk and 2 tbsp of butter. Mix well, your past will look a little runny which is good because you don't want your pasta to dry out when it bakes.
    3. Pour pasta mixture into an greased casserole dish.
    4. Sprinkle remainder of cheese onto pasta mixture.
    5. Bake at 350 degrees until brown.

Enjoy!!

You can also bread your chicken breast with Kellogs corn flakes, dip your chicken into an egg and milk wash first, then drudge in corn flake crumbs. Bake at 350 for abour 20-25 minutes. Bake the first 10-15 minutes in covered dish, then remove cover so that your chicken can become crispy.

You can do the same thing with TALAPIA filets!! same recipe, just fish instead of chicken.

Hope this atleast can get you started!! i have plenty more to come.

Enjoy!!:smile:
  • hadley1998
    hadley1998 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Also, some snacks my husband packs are:
    1. rice crackers, or sesame seed crackers(really good) planter's make good sesame seed crackers.
    2. Our home made power snack-dried cranberrys, walnuts, raisins, died bananas(for crunch), dried cherries(for tart)) this is a really good mixture!! I
    3. 2 cups of rice checks cereal, 1/2 cup of whole almonds, 1 cup of cranberries, 1 cup of raisins, 1/4 cup of honey, 2 tbsp of butter.
    mix all together. Turn oven on to 325 degrees. Take a cookie sheet, grease cookie sheet with a little of crisco. Spread cereal mixture evenly on cookie sheet. Place in oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until mixture is bubbly. Take mixture out of oven set on cool surface(counter top) for about 30 minutes. As this mixture cools, it will harden into a nice brittle like snack. This snack is delicious!! my family loves this. It's soooo good that you will want to eat the whole thing!! Don't eat too much, it's really of high in carbs!! don't know how many calories or carbs are in mixture, however I would think with berries, honey and butter, those calories and carbs will add up!!

Enjoy:tongue::smile:
  • ohmyshysamantha
    ohmyshysamantha Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My uncle has celiac disease and diabetes. I dont know many recipes but every year he asks me to make these at christmas for him. (something for if you have a sweet tooth)

1 cup peanut butter
    1 cup splenda
    1 egg (i'm sure you could substitute for 2 egg whites)
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 cup chocolate chips (or dark chocolate chips, carub chips, m & m's just make sure its glutten free)

mix and roll into 1 inch balls, bake at 350 for 5-8 minutes (dont over bake them or they dry out) theyre freaking delicious I've never checked calories but I cant imagine they'd be too too horrible for you in moderation.

Also if you go to sams club they have alot of chicken sausages and stuff that is glutten free.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have had a gluten allergy for several years . For purse snacks Nature Valley has an almond or peanut crunch bar that is gluten free that says so on the label. My fav snack is natural peanut butter on a rice cake or the Weight watcher's FF cheese stick. Some brands of cheesesticks I have a reaction towards. I tend to steer clear of gluten substitute foods and just do without. They are usually high in calories and just don't seem like the real thing anyway. I eat mostly eggs or oatmeal,fresh veggies and meat, edemame(soybeans) , nuts, greek yogurt, and salads for my meals. I do miss goodies. I do like some gluten free muffins or ice cream when I must have sweets.