I can't eat all my exercise calories.....

Options
I can most of the time eat my 1600 calories I need for the day, but I exercise a lot during the week.

The thing is that I eat so much during the day that I get tired and full of eating. I eat around 5-6 times a day.

Is it bad not to eat the exercise calories back or will I have repercussions in the future?

Replies

• tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I never eat back my exercise calories. I eat around 800-1200 calories a day and have done this from Christmas 2010 and have lose 55lbs so far. But l think everyone is different and need to know there own body and what it needs.

My exercise is very intense for 3 hours per day 7 days a week and l would never eat back those extra calories that l am burning as it is around 3000 calories per day l am burning.

I say just listen to your body and what works for you.

I don't think l will have any repercussions in the future as this is a life change not a short term fix. So l will always be doing the exercise and eating right.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    only eat when you feel hungry, if you don't need to eat then don't.
  • acuratlsd
    acuratlsd Posts: 228
    Options
    Yeah a friend of mines made a big 8x10 of lasagna last night. I took like two big spatulas full and put it on the plate. As I was eating it, I got full and I was only 1/4 the way done. I ate so much yesterday, that I got tired of eating. This was the first time that I turned away a plate full of pasta.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    this is a common topic. my thoughts are that your body scale is not on a 24 hour measure, like we do here on MFP. when you drain down your "reserve" power, you will be hungry and be able to eat your exercise calories, no problem.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead. Add a little more at each meal, rather than "eating them back" after you exercise.

I'm a fairly small middle aged woman, and I have no issue at all eating 2000+ calories. I eat three meals, and allow for three snacks between meals. If I exercised and burned 600 calories, but waited until dinner to eat them all, I might have a hard time. But if I had an extra 100 calories at each meal and snack, that's a lot easier to, well ... swallow.

Little things, like cooking with olive oil, adding a slice or two of cheese, an extra ounce or two with your portion of meat, a squirt of Ranch dressing on your vegetables or salad, skipping out on the low cal versions for the full versions of dressings, a glass of chocolate milk, a protein shake or a protein bar... all easy ways to add more calories without adding a lot of extra bulk to your meals.
  • acuratlsd
    Options
    Plan ahead. Add a little more at each meal, rather than "eating them back" after you exercise.

I'm a fairly small middle aged woman, and I have no issue at all eating 2000+ calories. I eat three meals, and allow for three snacks between meals. If I exercised and burned 600 calories, but waited until dinner to eat them all, I might have a hard time. But if I had an extra 100 calories at each meal and snack, that's a lot easier to, well ... swallow.

Little things, like cooking with olive oil, adding a slice or two of cheese, an extra ounce or two with your portion of meat, a squirt of Ranch dressing on your vegetables or salad, skipping out on the low cal versions for the full versions of dressings, a glass of chocolate milk, a protein shake or a protein bar... all easy ways to add more calories without adding a lot of extra bulk to your meals.

Thats a good idea.... totally forgot about that..

The thing that I worry about the most is the intake of the saturated fats. I make sure that I get the mono and poly but its those saturated ones that get you and my sodium intake.
  • caseyg9888
    Options
    2 words: peanut butter.
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't really worry about it. As long as you're still eating your 1600 calories, you should be fine.

And thank you for you service in our military!! :ohwell: (At least, it looks like in your picture you are wearing a military uniform.)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Thats a good idea.... totally forgot about that..

The thing that I worry about the most is the intake of the saturated fats. I make sure that I get the mono and poly but its those saturated ones that get you and my sodium intake.

It depends on your macros. My fat tends to always be low, so that's where I tend to add to up my calories, but little things like a slice of bread or some pasta (unless you have gluten issues) or higher calorie fruits and vegetables if you're low on carbs, a larger serving if meat or a protein shake if you're low on protein. Just check where you're calories are lacking and add there.
  • damianpurvis
    damianpurvis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I usually only eat about half of my calories back when I exercise.
  • KrisThomas1964
    Options
    only eat when you feel hungry, if you don't need to eat then don't.

"This"
  • acuratlsd
    Options
    I don't really worry about it. As long as you're still eating your 1600 calories, you should be fine.

And thank you for you service in our military!! :ohwell: (At least, it looks like in your picture you are wearing a military uniform.)

Thanks... That photo was taken at 10 weeks of basic training. I was 237lbs when I went in. I left at 185 when that photo was taken.

I am trying to get down to 170lbs. I know it looks very healthy in my photo at 185 but I think that was from all the muscle the pushups made me put on LOL

I got to basic June 1st and that photo was taken September 11th. So 52 lbs lost.
  • jadedangel711
    jadedangel711 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Congrats and keep it up! Thank for your service! Hubby and I are Navy veterans of Desert Storm!
    Lee/Jaded