Could I lose 20 pounds by May?

Options
I have twenty pounds to lose to reach my goal weight of 122 - 125 since I weigh about 142 - 145. I'm 5'3" and 18 years old.
I have asthma and a knee condition that makes it hard for me to run, do rope jumping or anything really intense. So I just walk at a moderate pace (enough that I have to catch my breath when I'm done, but not so fast that I can't talk or breathe at all) for about 45 minutes and 5x a week and I do weights 2 - 3x a week for 30 minutes.

I'm gonna try eating around 1600 calories. Sound like I could lose some weight, or even inches, by May?

Replies

• the_fat_monkey
    Options
    bump :3
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    you won't know until you try, if it's not working you making adjustments.
    good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • jeffreyjording
    jeffreyjording Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Intense exercise isn't necessary to lose weight. I lost a majority of my weight walking.
  • tkbronico
    Options
    Give it a good effort and you should :-) I am 5'3ish too and started at 154 (at 41 years old) at the end of April. I am now 123 after doing some pretty decent strength training 20-30 minutes and cardio 30 minutes (stationary bike, treadmill and stair climber) on average of 4 times per week (some weeks 5 some weeks 3) and averaging about 1200-1500 calories most days. Make wise food choices, be sure to get enough protein to build lean muscle and you should be fine...GOOD LUCK :-)
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    :smile: You could, thats over 6 months away. Having said that remember the last little bit is harder to lose. Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Give it your best and don't give up if you don't make it. Remember "New Lifestyle!" not diet.

Good luck and please try to do it healthy.
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    Thank you!! This really make me feel confident I can do it!
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    Give it a good effort and you should :-) I am 5'3ish too and started at 154 (at 41 years old) at the end of April. I am now 123 after doing some pretty decent strength training 20-30 minutes and cardio 30 minutes (stationary bike, treadmill and stair climber) on average of 4 times per week (some weeks 5 some weeks 3) and averaging about 1200-1500 calories most days. Make wise food choices, be sure to get enough protein to build lean muscle and you should be fine...GOOD LUCK :-)

On average, how many calories did you burn per day with exercise? I normally burn about 350 - 400 with my exercise.
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    Bump! :33
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I have twenty pounds to lose to reach my goal weight of 122 - 125 since I weigh about 142 - 145. I'm 5'3" and 18 years old.
    I have asthma and a knee condition that makes it hard for me to run, do rope jumping or anything really intense. So I just walk at a moderate pace (enough that I have to catch my breath when I'm done, but not so fast that I can't talk or breathe at all) for about 45 minutes and 5x a week and I do weights 2 - 3x a week for 30 minutes.

I'm gonna try eating around 1600 calories. Sound like I could lose some weight, or even inches, by May?
    Sure. It's perfect timing for a 20 lb. loss. 1 lb. a week til you get close, and then taper back to maintenence.
    I have asthma as well but that doesn't stop me walking (fast).
    You just need to calculate what you normally burn every day for your weight and have a 500 calorie deficit.
    This is well within a healthy plan. See if you can get access to a treadmill. You can adjust the speed and slope to something you can handle and not make you wheeze. You may even find by taking it easy at first, that you will get to a point where you can do more than you thought you could.

Sorry, I just re-read your post. Sounds like you are doing it already. Just eat 500 below your calories burned each day.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Stick with a small calorie deficit, get plenty of protein and strength train. If you don't loose a full 20, you'll probably still LOOK like you lost 20.
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options

Sure. It's perfect timing for a 20 lb. loss. 1 lb. a week til you get close, and then taper back to maintenence.
    You just need to calculate what you normally burn every day for your weight and have a 500 calorie deficit.
    This is well within a healthy plan. See if you can get access to a treadmill. You can adjust the speed and slope to something you can handle and not make you wheeze. You may even find by taking it easy at first, that you will get to a point where you can do more than you thought you could.

Thanks! Do you think 1600 calories sounds good? C:
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    Stick with a small calorie deficit, get plenty of protein and strength train. If you don't loose a full 20, you'll probably still LOOK like you lost 20.

I will, for sure! Think you could help me figure out a good amount of calories to eat? ^^;;; I'm not really good at this..
  • FredDoyle
    Options

Look at the calorie calculator here:
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/calorie-calculator.html
    and adjust your myfitnesspal numbers to track your intake.
    Good luck!
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options

Ditto that!!! You do have plenty of time. You can TOTALLY do it! I hope to do it, too! I have about 20 lbs to lose, also. I can do 3 lbs/month. AND SO CAN YOU!!!:bigsmile:
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options

Look at the calorie calculator here:
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/calorie-calculator.html
    and adjust your myfitnesspal numbers to track your intake.
    Good luck!

This site said that my TDEE is about 2100 - 2200. So 20 percent of that is about 1700 so that's what I'll do on workout days!
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options

Ditto that!!! You do have plenty of time. You can TOTALLY do it! I hope to do it, too! I have about 20 lbs to lose, also. I can do 3 lbs/month. AND SO CAN YOU!!!:bigsmile:

Thanks! 3 pounds a month isn't much, but hey, we don't have much to lose so it's going to be slow! Thanks!!!
  • Jelaine56
    Jelaine56 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs. from February of this year to now.. And it's all from walking and eating right.. I think you can do it!!!
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs. from February of this year to now.. And it's all from walking and eating right.. I think you can do it!!!

THanks! Exercise isn't too much a problem, as is how many calories I should eat ^^;
    Uhm, may I ask how much you exercised per day/week and how many calories you ate and burned? I just feel so lost on what to do right now :(
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 from Jan through July, so it should be doable for you!
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    Just log (honestly) your calories here and it will work.
    Don't go crazy and be hungry. Protein is always a good to to meal because the carbs usually look after themselves.
    Just remember, it's math. That simple. Don't beat yourself up. Just cut back 500 cals. and you're there.
    I've lost almost 30 since the beginning of July just on treadmill and the cal. deficit.
    Now I'm doing strength to tone and stay in shape.