stupid work place never ending halloween candy bowl

Options
It calls to me every day. I shut my office door and it's just a more muffled version of calling my name. I haven't fallen face first into it, but I do entertain thoughts of wishing it into the cornfield never to be heard from again. I'm positive this would be supported by others in my office if it disappeared forever. In fact, the only one that seems to think this is a great idea is our receptionist and boss that both shows up with bags full from Costco -- I think they are buying it by the pallet and the only ones feasting on it. I figure if I hijack the bowl there's nothing for them to fill up... they forget all about it, I plead the fifth, and I make a clean get-away. Sigh. Alas, I'm sure there must be a better way than resorting to such nefarious behavior. But it is a daily thought occurrence. Let's hear it -- how do you handle work place junk food temptations literally on a daily basis?

Replies

• jessgumkowski88
    jessgumkowski88 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It's cruel, but I do my best to not touch it by motivating someone else to avoid it with me. Then when I'm having a moment of weakness they can slap my hand and tell me no
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I know this might not be the best option but it works for me :)
    I only allow myselft one spoonful/bite of whatever it may be (we have lots of pizza and donuts at my place which is the hospital) then I will throw the rest away in the garbage :)
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I keep some healthy snacks at my desk so if I really need a little something I know what I am getting into... raisins, nuts, akmak whole-wheat crackers etc... maybe you could try that?

Also never let yourself get starving - I know for me that is when my blood sugar goes down and I am really susceptible to hunger pains. I also like plain greek yogurt with fruit and nuts.

When I have to work late, I try to get dinner so I can have it at the office (there's an energy kitchen (healthy food place) near my office and it's a bit pricey but it's healthy. Working late or long hours and my habits during stressful times is what got me into "trouble" in the first place.

You CAN get through this without resorting to candy bowl theft! :)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I keep some healthy snacks at my desk so if I really need a little something I know what I am getting into... raisins, nuts, akmak whole-wheat crackers etc... maybe you could try that?

Also never let yourself get starving - I know for me that is when my blood sugar goes down and I am really susceptible to hunger pains. I also like plain greek yogurt with fruit and nuts.

When I have to work late, I try to get dinner so I can have it at the office (there's an energy kitchen (healthy food place) near my office and it's a bit pricey but it's healthy. Working late or long hours and my habits during stressful times is what got me into "trouble" in the first place.

You CAN get through this without resorting to candy bowl theft! :)

All great advice. It's not worth throwing yourself off track for! Visualize your loss on the scale on weigh in morning, and how happy you'll be! Halloween candy already though? Bit early! X
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals, and I bring 1 piece of candy from home. Usually a Kit Kat or Butter Finger (fun sized, not full bars). Some nights I eat it, but most nights it sits in my lunch pail, forgotten. I find that if I go ahead and plan and "allow" myself that guilty pleasure, I am much less likely to binge.
  • Twiliightmoon
    Options
    Believe it or not, people actually put candy on my desk. I'm not a huge chocolate lover, so I guess I'm lucky in that aspect. But it drives the people I work with nuts when the candy is still sitting at my desk months later. 9 times out of 10 they will come over to my desk and ask me if they can take it, since I'm not eating it. I think this is the devil in me coming out :devil:
  • mreffle
    mreffle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    All great advice. It's not worth throwing yourself off track for! Visualize your loss on the scale on weigh in morning, and how happy you'll be! Halloween candy already though? Bit early! X

Yes, and Yes! Definitely not worth going backwards. Keep positive thoughts of where you've been, how you got there, and how much work it has taken to get where you are now.

Agree with Halloween candy out already being very early. Whatever I bring to work is AFTER Halloween, i.e. the leftovers, if there are any. I don't even like to do that, because I don't like putting others in the position of being tempted. There is one girl at work who occasionally (once every couple of months) brings baked goodies to work, because she enjoys baking. I know I'm going to be off the charts when I log the treat into MFP, but I understand tomorrow I'll be back on track, and work harder to make up for the treat. But when they are out there all month??? That's pure evil. :devil: :wink:
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    IS there any candy you simply don't like? if there is buy some and put it in the bowl. I hate those peanut butter filled ones in the orange and black waxed paper wrappers, ick. So that is what I buy to give out, actually anything peanut butter is safe from me. I know i'm weird but I just don't like it.
  • moetr
    moetr Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Our office has a candy bowl that is out all year. Very annoying.

Things that I try to do:
    - avoid the reception area
    - plan my food the rest of the day. if I can fit one candy in, then I'm still on track
    - eat my lunch in stages from noon to 2pm, with a planned snack at 3-3:30 so that I'm less hungry
    - if I pass by the reception, I try to avoid eye contact with the candy
    - if I do look, I see if my favorite is in the bowl. if its not, then I won't eat the other stuff
    - if my favorite is in the bowl, I tell myself I can have it at a certain time, but don't take it
    - if it is gone before I get back at the alloted time, I don't pick another

If you can make it a habit to not dig into the bowl, it does get easier!
  • catapultlaunch
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone! I really appreciate your terrific help.
  • SweetMe1
    SweetMe1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym last week and there, right next to the box of clipboards, box of pencils, and files of member's logs, there was one of those huge jars of red licorice. I love that stuff, but I ignored it when I got my log and ignored it again when I returned it.

If this happens again (a couple of weeks ago is was a sheet cake and sugary punch), I'm going to let the manager know I don't appreciate this. I'm going to the gym to get healthy, not to have to face temptations!

So far, no Halloween goodies in the work break room yet, but I suspect that's coming.
  • trobbin88
    trobbin88 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    We have a "junk drawer" at work as well. I find it challenging on a stressful day to not binge on potato chips; and i have. Manager mentioned putting fruit (apple slices, etc) but i'm sure they would rot there...lol. Willpower is our only friend in this case! If i think ahead to what i'm going to FEEL like after i eat that stuff, i tend to stay away.....mostly. ;)
  • skar1it
    skar1it Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    don't give in! always have a back up plan for when it seems like sweets get thrown in your face. i read a really good article about food in the workplace while youre trying to get healthy that was really supportive and informative. many times people will almost bully you into eating it saying things like "you know a handful won't hurt you" or "just live a little." pretty soon youre coming up with your own excuses "well, maybe ill just have one." but it never quite ends there does it? well not for me anyway.

i really like the 100 calorie packs and special k cereal bars (theyre only 90 calories and theyre awesome!). fruit is a good back up too. the more you resist the urge to give in now, the better you get at it later on. remember you are not the only one battling temptation ALL around you. we are in this fight with you! =D good luck!