I'm running a half marathon...TOMORROW

Options
2»

Replies

• WittneeT29
    WittneeT29 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Whoo hoo! How exciting!

The advice in this thread is fantastic! My advice is to not stress too bad if you can't sleep the night before the race. I tend to try to sleep extra two nights before a long race, because I know race night I will be too amped up to sleep. Even if you cannot sleep tonight, you will do great tomorrow. Just rest the best you can and hit it hard with enthusiasm for the race!

Have a blast!!
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Totally normal to be antsy the night before. Looks like you have lots of good advice for what you should be doing today, so I'll throw in a couple of things for the race. :) It is really easy to get swept up in the excitement of the race, the adrenaline will be pumping and you start out too fast. Then you start saying "I feel pretty good, I think I will hold this pace." The problem usually becomes that you can't hold that pace for 13.1 miles. Really the first 8 or so *should* feel fairly easy if you have trained well, it is that last 3 really that count. So trust your training and the pace you think you should be running. After you pass 10 you can feel more free to give it more, but resist that urge beforehand.

and most importantly...............have fun!
  • tirtle
    tirtle Posts: 6
    Options
    Congrats on this tremendous milestone! I have ran 5 over the last 2 years - my advice, wake up and run the way you always have, don't change your routine! This includes everything from your eating habits to your music or whatever rituals...take every moment of your run in and enjoy, it's the best moment in time when you're surrounded by fellow runners!!!
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    Don't worry if you can't sleep well. Take it easy, and enjoy tomorrow.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I have no tips. But that is so awesome of you! Good Luck!
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Good luck for tomorrow Hun xxx
  • sstoro
    sstoro Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Get a good nights sleep,hydrate ( beginning tonight) and tomorrow RELAX and have FUN. My first marathon, I found a person who had my stride and cadence and used him to guide my pace. I now don't know if that is considered bad etiquette as it must have driven him nuts hearing my footsteps for over ten miles!
  • losinitagain1
    Options
    Good Luck!!! When I did my first (and only), what I wasn't prepared for was the start. There are so many people all going at different paces. Some people are there with 5-10 friends and they are in a line going slower than you want but they don't move and you have to try to figure out how to get around them with hundreds of other people also trying to get around them. One group had their arms locked together and were walking. It was the rudest thing I have ever experienced. Once you break free from all the madness, just do your thing and you will be fine! Have fun!!!
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Lots of great tips above - - I've found those are all good LOL

Agree with the "nothing new" and don't go out too fast (which you will, btw - even with the best advise!) Enjoy your run! You've done the hard work already - tomorrow will be the easiest run of them all :)

Bask in the finish - - it's the best feeling in the world. GREAT JOB!!!
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Dont forget your bib number if you have it!!! I forgot mine and thank goodness my daughter was able to drive it up to me!!
  • stephlouise123
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE!! It went brilliantly! I really enjoyed it. I wasn't bothered about time - I just didn't want to stop, and I DIDN'T! Yaaaay! I ran it in 2hours29mins. If anyone of you are thinking about doing it, then do it! I can't recomment it enough, it was FANTASTIC!!! On such a high now, as you can probably tell!!! Not looking forward to tomorrow though. Walking downstairs will be fun......... thanks for all your advice!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE!! It went brilliantly! I really enjoyed it. I wasn't bothered about time - I just didn't want to stop, and I DIDN'T! Yaaaay! I ran it in 2hours29mins. If anyone of you are thinking about doing it, then do it! I can't recomment it enough, it was FANTASTIC!!! On such a high now, as you can probably tell!!! Not looking forward to tomorrow though. Walking downstairs will be fun......... thanks for all your advice!

Epsom salt bath (or if you're feeling really beat up - an ice bath) and you'll feel much better tomorrow. Congrats of a great finishing time!
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    that's awesome. Congratulations!
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! I was just wondering how you did. Great, great accomplishment! :drinker:
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    Well done. What a fab accomplishent. ull have the bug now :D
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Well done! Was it the Cardiff one? Lots of people I know (in RL) ran that one today.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! That is such an accomplishment. I sort of looked for your post tthat you finished .... glad to hear all went well :flowerforyou:
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    That's AWESOME!!!! Love how happy and high you sounded in your post. Well done on your fantastic finishing time, and well done on notching up such a great achievement! My cheeks hurt I am smiling so hard for you - here's to many more wonderful running experiences in your future, and many many more moments of extreme triumph!!

Wil

xx
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Excellent!! So fabulous that you posted this. Hope you Stretch, stretch, stretched after running - and enjoyed the runners high. I'm sure we'll be seeing you post that you've done more in coming months LOL
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Well done!! Consider the glasses raised in your honor!
    Dreimal hoch!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: