When should I expect to be at my goal weight?

Options
I've lost 26 pounds so far and I have 53 pounds left to go, yaay. I lose around 2 pounds a week. Basically I'm asking you to check my math, and if I'm wrong, what's the correct answer.
53 divided by 2 is 26.5, so should I expect to be at my goal weight in 27 (rounding up) weeks? Around May/June?

Replies

• amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    if you maintain 2lbs a week...
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear, it will likely not always come off at the same rate each week, so predicting a goal weight target date would be kind of difficult and might discourage you if you don't reach that goal at the time you expect.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Are you going to be really lean at your goal weight? There's a good chance that as you get leaner, the weight loss will slow down quite a bit. I used to drop 2 pounds a week as well, but I can't expect (and shouldn't aim for) that these days.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    it really depends on your level of fitness as you get into better shape you'll build more muscle and you'll turn your body into a fat burning machine
  • Musically_Blessed
    Options
    The ideal weight for my height/weight is 115-130ish, so I wanted to be a bit below that at 125.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    it really depends on your level of fitness as you get into better shape you'll build more muscle and you'll turn your body into a fat burning machine

you can't build muscle and lose weight at the same time... one requires a deficit and one requires a surplus
  • Tanimom
    Tanimom Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If I've learned anything in the last few years, it's that the body is going to do what the body is going to do. I would get discouraged if I didn't meet a timeline. I do better just doing what I need to do and know that, sooner or later, I'll get where I need to be.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's really a way to figure it out. Even when I have mine set to 2lbs a week, I NEVER lose 2lbs a week. My weight loses at it's own pace no mater what my goal is set to. When it "complete" my diary, I am never where it says i'll be in 5 weeks. I am usually under my calories by 50-100 everyday and when I exercise, I make an attempt to eat my calories back, yet, I never fall where MFP says I will.

I've lost 61lbs in a year and a half where as others I've seen on here lose 100lbs in a year. Everybody is different, your body will change as you lose more too which affects how you lose.

I would recommend just being patient. You'll get there when you get there and I think if you have an expectation of when you should be there and for whatever reason, you don't make that goal, things just may be frustrating...

just my opinion based on how I lose...
  • charlybu
    charlybu Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would guesstimate about 2 lbs loss/per week for the first month or two depending on where you're starting from and between 1 lb and 0.5 lb/per week from then on out. According to my original calculations (using about the same formula as you) I should have been at my goal weight in the beginning of August. I still have 13 lbs to go and I've been going really steady, no cheating etc . . . the whole time. Give yourself time and realize that it is a slow process. Also, losing slower is better for keeping sagging skin from becoming as much of a problem and it's better for you in the long term.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    If I've learned anything in the last few years, it's that the body is going to do what the body is going to do. I would get discouraged if I didn't meet a timeline. I do better just doing what I need to do and know that, sooner or later, I'll get where I need to be.

you rock