Social Workers

Options
jms57
jms57 Posts: 11 Member
I was wondering if anyone on this site works as a social worker? I am currently working on my MSW. I enjoy it and so far enjoy the work! Any advice for a newbie social worker?

Replies

• lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm an LCSW. My only advice is to realize that your education will be helpful, yes, but most situations that you will find yourself in will not be something that was covered in your classes. Hands-on experience is SO different.

That being said, I love being a social worker! Congrats on your MSW. When are you graduating?
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Sad to see this thread so small. I'm an LCSW also, would love to speak with other social workers about the profession and the challenges that make this field unique. :-)
  • LJeffersSW
    LJeffersSW Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am a Social Worker (MSW). Would love to have some fellow Social Workers as friends (as we all know, he have to support ourselves and eachother, not only our clients!) :-)
  • Jackiales
    Jackiales Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 6 weeks into my MSW program at the University of CT. I find maintaining balanced sleep, diet and getting excercise in, extremely difficult but I'm committed. What were your balances like?
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    BSW social work program here lol havent gone into the field yet let alone finish schooling but im willing to take in all the extra tips, advice, and situations <3

26517707.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    My wife is a MSW working with the Mentally Handicapped..she's been there 23 years.
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    woot woot!!! LCSW here. best advice i can give is that being a social worker isn't easy, but remember the reasons why you wanted to become one and stay true to your beliefs!

we should totally make a social worker group!!
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    woot woot!!! LCSW here. best advice i can give is that being a social worker isn't easy, but remember the reasons why you wanted to become one and stay true to your beliefs!

we should totally make a social worker group!!

so true, my advisor is a LCSW and always repeats this!!.. im not going into it for it to be easy or for a challenge. its what i want to do.. my dad always said find something you love to do and get paid for it. & thats advice i intend to live by <3
  • janbez
    janbez Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I got my MSW in 1985. I've always worked in healthcare settings. My work has gotten prgressively more administrative over the years and I am now enjoying more time with patients and families. This is something I initiated as part of my "taking care of me" initiative.
  • davyrockhit214
    Options
    LMSW and I love it. Currently working as a mental health counselor for Medicaid clients. Challenging yet rewarding =) if any of you are still using this site please feel free to add me. It's important to stay healthy to be good role models for our clients and to practice what we preach ;-)
  • ncbecker13
    Options
    Woo! Social worker in Arizona right here!...good gosh..I can relate to every struggle you all are feeling. Keep up the good work though!
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm a social worker (MSW) I do child protection! :)
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Kudos for doing CPS, I don't think I could do it. I see pediatric Pts in the psych ED and their parents can be just as challenging as the kids!
  • EmmyBee
    EmmyBee Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Social Worker in Maryland here! I've been working for a child abuse prevention program for the past 5 years. I agree with everyone about the challenges and rewards of our field. I definitely need to work more on the "taking care of me" aspect to prevent possible burnout, though!
  • jennydoesketo
    jennydoesketo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jenny! I'm new to this site as well. I am not a professional social worker yet but I am a BSW student. Aside from my own personal reasons for wanting to lose weight, I also started this weight loss journey so I can walk the walk when I tell clients that using positive change to yield positive outcomes is possible. Best of luck and I look forward to seeing you here in the future :)
  • klutzydreamer
    klutzydreamer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Megan and I've been getting back into shape and trying to get healthy. I just graduated last year with my BSW and I'm heading back in the fall to work on my MSW while working at a local nursing home. I'm trying to get into a working routine because when I start school I want to be sure I maintain my health all the way through; my senior year of college was brutal and I gained so much weight. Anyway, I'd love to have some new friends on here who share the same goals and same profession!
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Well I've just enrolled in my third semester on my towards my BSW. :)
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm still in school, but hoping to go for my Master's soon! I'm also interning this summer, so I hope to figure out how the job really is then. I'd love to also hear from other social workers!
  • NEWBABY4LIFE
    Options
    Proud LMSW working on LCSW now. Working at Veteran's hospital for 10 years. Challenging job but somebody got to do it. Yes we need to start a group to support each other.
  • klutzydreamer
    klutzydreamer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just started a group entitled "social workers." I figured it was something to get us going for now!