Need some motivation....please

Options
Hi---
I have been really down lately....I feel like I am doing this for nothing. I dont feel any different or feel like I look different. I've lost 26pds already...but thats just the tip of the iceberg...have lots more to go. Some of the girls at work have noticed but I dont see it and its sad. I guess I'm tired of peoples rude comments as I'm out doing my walk. Its frustrating that people can be so mean.....at least I am trying to do something for myself. Tonight I went for a walk and again got harrassed.....nothing like crying on a walk. It made me think why am I doing this. I know why but its frustrating...I guess i need some motivation and support....so I'm reaching out. Thanks for reading!!

Replies

• needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Get it in your head and gut...you are fabulous. You are doing this to get healthy (and fab at 40). Rude people are a fact of life that need to be drop kicked somewhere. Keep up your walks, soon you'll be jogging past them.
  • LCgymnast
    LCgymnast Posts: 258
    Options
    Please please please stay with it. I know how you feel when you keep trying and working hard to see some kind (any kind) of results but nothing is there. Someone once told me that it's hard to see results on yourself daily because we look at ourselves everyday all day. Taking pictures of yourself is a better indication of actual results. 26lbs lost is an awesome goal meet so far. Think about it....you have said you want to change your life for the better and exercise is the first place to start that. A LOT of people in the world have not or won't want to better themselves like you and I. Keep pushing towards what you want in life....those people making comments about you ( FORGET THEM)!!! Jealously, intimidation, desire to do what you're doing...that's what those people are longing for or want. This just burns me up sooooo bad. I can't stand when we try to do better for ourselves and others have to bring you down. They should just hush. You keep proving to them that I will continue with what I want in life and others are NOT going to sway me from it. Keep pushing forward and stay motivated...we are all here for you.
  • acrynne
    acrynne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    people are harassing you on your walk? well, that sucks. put on headphones, blast the music.... in other words, don't listen to them. and remember: you are lapping everyone that's sitting on the couch. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • SunshinePD
    SunshinePD Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey STAY THE COURSE!! Any investment into yourself is worth the effort. Those harassers don't deserve your valuable thoughts. Keep your thoughts on improving YOU: your endurance, your health, your positive outlook and your goals. You are doing GREAT - down 26 lbs - that is impressive! Hey, get some motivational music/tapes when you walk and shut the haters out. Keep moving on.
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Keep on keepin on!!! You're doing amazing things and those jerks are sad sad people. Keep up the great work!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
  • banshishi
    banshishi Posts: 197
    Options
    I have been there, and its bloody awful, specially the rudeness of fellow humans..square your shoulders and walk on proud, you are out there doing something about it, show them that they can't hurt you and you are strong enough to keep at it, I dont know how big you are, but I used to be well over 300lbs and have heard every mean, hateful epitaph that anyone can throw at a large person...it doesnt matter what they think, its what YOU know that matters, you know you are dealing with it, you are moving forward towards a new healthier you...If you keep at it you will stop hearing the meanness and start hearing the admiration..trust me it does happen. Just stick with it, take one day at a time. 26lbs is an awesome achievement, be proud of yourself, and focus on the next lb and not worry what others say or do!
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    One thing that I found that helped (this might sound sort of silly) is to go pick up a dumbbell that's closest to what you've lost... so go pick up a 25 pound dumbbell and hold it in your hand for a couple minutes.

You've lost more than that. That's something substantial right there! 26 pounds isn't negligible.

As for rude comments when you're walking, I agree with the others. Take your music with you, crank it up, and de-stress while you get lean.

Good luck!
  • sariannach
    Options
    You are so very not alone in this. The way I think about it is that a lot of stress, illness, and unhappiness came along with my weight gain... and as I lose the weight, those hitchhikers are showing up too. I don't want to carry those around anymore, but that means I gotta deal with them--and yeah, it's scary, and hard, and feels really hopeless a lot of the time. It's even harder to be kind and gentle with yourself when all you can hear are the mocking external voices and the pessimistic internal ones.

Hang in there. You're making changes that are hard and you're doing them for your own benefit.

301324_10151250944111223_254830245_n.jpg
  • healthyformeanMona
    healthyformeanMona Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Y O U C A N D O T H I S AND I T W I L L B E W O R T H I T .... I just wanted to say that loud and clear. If not now, when...41? 42? 50? 53...like me? I wish I would have done it at 40, but here I am. I will leave you with two of my all time favoirite quotes: and I can't remember who said either of them, or I would give them credit. Just suffice to say, I didn't make them up. 1) "The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago, the 2nd best time is now." 2) "It's none of my business what someone else thinks of me." 3) "Choose your pain." I said 2, but really, there are 3.. Keep up the good work, you can do this. The times you feel like giving up are exactly when you need to lean in to it, be angry, be frustrated, be sad, but do not give up. Oh, there are 4--4) Dont give up, for that will be just where the tide will turn."
  • Alicia7519
    Options
    If you .haven't already, you will begin to see a difference in your clothes. Also, you will begin to feel better. With regard to those idiots who are harassing you, that's happened to me. They feel so lousy about and insecure, that they have to pick on someone. They are also cowards because if they were by themselves, they wouldn't have the nerve to say those stupid things to you.
    As hard as it is ignore them. You are making changes so don't give them any power.

Today, a friend wrote the following on her facebook page: "Lesson for the day: you are in charge of your own happiness. People will treat you how you LET them treat you. No one gets to own you. You are stronger than you think you are. You can survive."
    These are some powerful words. Write these sentences down and take a look at them before you go on your walk and especially if you run into those scumbags.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    people do what?? Ok I got better things to do that comment of people trying to be fit. You know what I say, "F***'em"

Just do your own thing, just use your anger to fuel your workout.
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Motivation is highly over-rated. People talk about it as though you are given it before you do the work. Truthfully, you work first, and then when you start to see and feel the differences, THAT'S WHEN motivation kicks in. It's a reward, not an incentive.

So if you want it, go get it!
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The people who are insulting you are more than likely miserable with themselves, and the only way they can feel better is to try and tear you down when you are actually DOING something to improve your life! 26 pounds is a LOT of weight, and is definitely nothing to ridicule! Keep on walking, and definitely turn on some music or something. Just keep reminding yourself that you are better than that, and that you don't need to tear down others to feel better!
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I get comments by passing cars when riding my bike too.

I can't see any results either, but that's why I'm doing monthly pictures, and weekly scale and measurements. I KNOW I'm getting healthier and I KNOW I will soon be at a place where I'll be getting whistles instead of insults on my bike...THAT is my motivation.

Know this, you are getting healthier, it's a journey, but you're patient and strong and you got this!
  • Rainmann75
    Options
    You've already lost over 20% of your goal. That's a huge benefit! Maybe you can't feel it, but your body has been thanking you for it. Don't think about it like you're trying to lose weight, but see it more like you're aiming to live a longer life through better nutrition and exercise. The weight will come off if you're patient and consistent. My wife and I have lost quite a bit of weight just going by this whole site's guidelines. Look for support from anyone else who is trying to live a longer, healthier life. Good luck.
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou: You can do this! I'm the same way, I've lost 25 pounds very very very very very slowly. Like, I started April 2011 slow..... My weight fluctuates so much that I'm usually stuck going up and down between the same 5 pounds for a month, sometimes two months at a time. I can't see one darn thing that has changed about me. I can see a difference in my face from pictures, but nothing around the middle, legs, arms, the way clothes fit, anything.
    We recently had a family reunion with family I see probably only 2-3 times a year. Everyone was telling my mom how great I looked and told me to keep it up. Just that little bit of encouragement and compliments gave me a good boost to try my hardest, even though it is very hard for me to loose weight as stated above. It's almost like it's genetics or something, everyone in my family is either really thin with awesome metabolisms, or overweight with snail-like metabolisms and barely lose weight when we try. Out of my younger brother and I, I definitely drew the short end of the stick...

Oh, and here's one of my favorite quotes: "no matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everyone on the couch."

This helps me sooo much when I get frustrated and want to give up. So those people who harass you, you are 100% lapping them. Not just in the literal sense, but figuratively and mentally as well. If they need to raise their self esteem so high to go to the lengths of ridiculing you, they're not worth your time. Shake it off, mentally block them, and keep walking! You are you, and you are amazing! :smile:
  • kersercar
    kersercar Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the positive comments...I really appreciate it!
    I wont let negativity end my journey...its just beginning and I know it will be well worth it and a never ending fabulous journey. I just hit a rough patch this last week.....new week new positive thoughts!
    Thank-you!!!!!:blushing:
  • fonitoni
    fonitoni Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It has already been said but you've lost over 20% of your desired weight loss. 20%!!! That's a very big deal.
  • Zalli
    Zalli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! You can do it! And you will!

(Forty is a great age---I just turned 40 myself and used my birthday as a great motivator).

As for those awful rude people: they say that the best revenge is living well. Truth!
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    Alright.........................here I go...........................For starters, take that profile pic down. Laying in a eazy chair, reclining sends the signal, that you'r not serious. If you are serious, which it sounds like you are, being you've lost 26 pounds, keep going. The things you've been hearing are affecting your mental, leaving you feeling sentimental, you gotta own up, no more rentals. Keep pushing, force yourself. Do it for you, not the girls in the office or the kids making comments, do it because that's the thing YOU want. If you want it, no one will take it from you. At least not without a big problem coming there way to as make it worthless to try and stop you, or deter you. I'm tired, sorry if I'm not making sense. I'm a new bee too, so wahat do I know, not much about the health stuff, just the human stuff.