New Runner---lower calves seize

Options
Hi. First the facts: I am 26, 220ish, 5'8", 12 days non smoker, and haven't run the lengths I am running on a consistent basis in years, However, I can quite easily cycle for 30-35 miles.

Ok, the issue: I can comfortably run for about 1-1.5 miles before my lower calves (just above my ankles) burn, or otherwise temporarly hurt to the point that I have to stop running, and walk it off from there. This is long before I would quit because I am breathless. I never experience this while riding. I have running shoes on, yet it has the same effect as if I had my flat-soled shoes on.

Am I doing anything wrong, or will it just take time for my muscles down there to get used to the impact of the runs? Any advice will help. Thanks!

P.S.----I want to run as it will be a great way to recover the lung capacity lost with smoking.

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    in my first year of trying 5Ks, I would get this kind of pain, usually in one calf or the other.

seems to me that mine has lessened with continued running, but also I make sure to really stretch well beforehand. a combination of the two, I suppose, has been helpful.
  • Mera_Mera
    Mera_Mera Posts: 153
    Options
    When I started running, this was a common problem for me. Before I begin my running/jogging exercise, I stretch properly. This has lessened my lower calf pain. I started gradually and that also seems to help a lot. I finish my running session with another great stretch session and then I'm good for the day! Hope you feel better soon. Congrats on your 12 days of being a non-smoker!
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Random question? Do you cycle with clip in shoes? I'm just wondering if the pushing and pulling of cycle shoes might strengthen muscles that wouldn't be strengthened with running.

I always found that cycling really, REALLY helped my hill running (just as an interesting aside!).

Before and after you run, find a step or a curb or something, facing the flight of stairs (or footpath) balance on the balls of your feet then lower your heels to stretch your calves. You can also do raises, up and then stretching on the down, this really helps me when I get tight calves. I've been running heaps (for me - not like some of the legends around here though!!) and get a similar pain, it only seems to be in one leg per run and loosens up if I keep going.

Hope this helps.
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    Naa....I just use standard laced shoes....cant afford that setup.
    I guess I could do a better stretch routine. I normally do standing lunges, and flamingos, but only for about 2 minutes or so. I hardly ever stretch after. My leg strength is fine. I know that cycling utilized the quads more than anything, since that is where the torque comes from. But there is no impact, so I do not feel the pain.

I never felt this when I ran the treadmill, but I think that is just because I technically never had to "propel" myself forward...
    I will try to stretch more before and after....
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Try walking briskly for five minutes before you break into your jog/run. Stretch after your run and maybe a soak in a hot bath to ease the calves - and because you earned it!

Stretching - try Downward Dog in Yoga (check Google)

Congratulations stopping smoking - best thing you ever did just before doing the second best (running). You'll never regret it.
  • DustinNagtalon
    Options
    Try orthotics inside your shoes. Ie dr scholls
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I had to buy proper running shoes or stop running because of the damage I was doing to myself. I went to a footwear shop that films your feet as you run - the shoes cost a few hundred dollars (argh!) but fixed the problem. When I gave up then tried to start Running again I got really painful feet and hamstrings so after a few weeks of doing weights I started again and haven't had any issues since.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Proper shoes, proper warm up, proper cool down afterwards.

Take it easy - just because you can cycle 35 miles doesn't mean you can run 1.

Injuries are quite common for beginning runners doing too much too soon. Check out c25k programs.

Frustrating, but it does get better quite quickly, just have patience.

Well done on quitting smoking!
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    gradually build your running distance up, and listen to your body. Hold back when you need to. If they really sieze up then put your toes on a curb and push your toes up toward your knee until the muscle relaxes.