Replies

• gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    The French have a saying "Après quarante, vous avez le choix, le visage ou les fesses" which basically translates as "Once you're old, you must choose between having a young face or a fat *kitten*" :bigsmile:

Given that at 80 the years old the choice will be far starker, being for many people "having looked a bit older for the last few years or be dead already" it's not much of a choice for me!

HEY! I resent that translation -- since when does "after 40" mean you're OLD!?!?!?!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    The French have a saying "Après quarante, vous avez le choix, le visage ou les fesses" which basically translates as "Once you're old, you must choose between having a young face or a fat *kitten*" :bigsmile:

Given that at 80 the years old the choice will be far starker, being for many people "having looked a bit older for the last few years or be dead already" it's not much of a choice for me!

HEY! I resent that translation -- since when does "after 40" mean you're OLD!?!?!?!
    Most people who are freaking out that they might "look old" if they lose weight are probably so young they think 40 is positively ancient.

Those of us who are nearer 50 are a bit smarter than that by now! :bigsmile:
  • Hiccup90
    Hiccup90 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I work in a care home and the thinner ones look older than the ones with some weight on them. Even the ones who are younger and thinner than the bigger ones look older. I do agree that a bit of weight can you look younger but it depends if it's a healthy weight. I don't think it's worth being classed as overweight just to look younger in the face.
    My main excuse for not exercising everyday is I don't have time. I exercise at home and when I get time I will do it.

But there's a few other excuses I've used from time to time. The other week I was using 'I'm not exercising this weekend because it's my birthday' >_< At least I haven't completely given up.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't: eat more than 1200 calories / eat any carbs / eat my exercise calories back / eat anything at all bc:

2. Eating a lot of calories is what got me fat
    3. It is the only way to lose weight
    6. It defeats the purpose

This section is the one that I'm not entirely convinced about yet admittedly. It does seem that I don't lose any weight unless I'm eating about 1300-1400 calories but exercising many of those off leaving me with a net of about 700 or so calories. I eat several times a day so most times I don't even feel hungry, although that doesn't mean the body isn't in starvation mode I guess. I'm fairly new so it is a bit confusing to really determine what the daily caloric intake should be including the calories burned from exercise and in the course of my normal day.

You will find that after a while, your fat loss will slow down. High calorie deficits lead to loss in muscles/organs/tissue/bone density. A low to moderate calorie deficit, with high protein and 2-3 days of strength training actually increases the rate in which your body burns fat and is not likely to lose any major lean body mass in the process.

Felling hungry has nothing to do with whether or not your body will choose to burn LBM for energy instead of fat.
  • pglassnnp
    pglassnnp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    =)