Late Night Snacking Tips?

Options
I am a college student who stays up until midnight, usually for academic work. I always get hungry late at night, and if I am not hungry then I am certainly in the mood for snacks.
Usually I end up overeating with 2-3 cups worth of Honey Nut Cheerios, but that hasn't been working for me.

Do you have any tips for snacks that feel filling, or tricks to keep your mouth busy [gum, etc]? At this point I am starting to feel less hungry late at night however sometimes that's not the case.

Replies

• wender125
    wender125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i turn to orville smart pop, popsicles, tea.
  • Determindmonk
    Options
    Good n natural bars are awesome
    Filling and chewy and very good
    they are at cvs... only place i have found them so far
    Cranberry almond and peanut butter
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Go to bed and then get up early to finish what you were doing? Popcorn or carrot sticks are good, too.
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Go to bed and then get up early to finish what you were doing? Popcorn or carrot sticks are good, too.

Homemade popcorn---LOW CALORIES... One of the best things I used in my journey :D
  • krawl78
    krawl78 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Start eating your dinner later (before 8 pm) and be sure to include lots of protein and fibre filled veggies to help you stay full longer. Or, purchase a lower carb protein bar like Pure Protein or the same brand of whey powder and make a shake with non fat or soy milk.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Start eating your dinner later (before 8 pm)
    I'm curious, why must it be before 8pm?

OP - this isn't what you're asking, but I just arrange my calorie intake through the day so that I have room for snacks in the evening. It just works better for me to have a light (or no) breakfast, a light lunch, a large dinner and evening snacks.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Same here! I usually for for nuts or seeds. But honeslty, if you are hungry, just eat like a 200-300 calorie meal like a bowl of garden peas or fruit salad topped with low-fat/sugar yoghurt or cottage cheese and not force yourself to get stressed about the food.
  • Aksumite
    Options
    I would but I am not a morning person in terms of academics. I also have so much to do in the morning that there's no time.
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    frozen green seedless grapes
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Heaping bowls of cereal.
    Cheesecake factory.
    Pop Tarts.
    Chocolate.

In other words...whatever fits your macros at the time.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Start eating your dinner later (before 8 pm)

This is just silly to say, it depends on when s/he gets up. If they get up at 7am or 1pm then dinner depends on their time of day.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I'm curious, why must it be before 8pm?

OP - this isn't what you're asking, but I just arrange my calorie intake through the day so that I have room for snacks in the evening. It just works better for me to have a light (or no) breakfast, a light lunch, a large dinner and evening snacks.

^ That.

Provided you're not causing yourself sleep issues, and provided you aren't over-consuming calories in total for the day, you can eat large meals right before bed and be just fine. I wouldn't really worry about it outside of personal preference.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    *to the tune of waltzing matilda*

Protein and fibre
    Proootein and fibre
    Protein and fibre are your new best friends

I make sure my evening meal is RAMMED with protein, bang on a load of veg and that sees me clear through the evening.

If I get hungry I do the 'waaaaaaaaaait a minute, am I REALLY hungry or just bored?' test

And if the answer is yes, which isn't often to be honest, I have some food - but not really snacky food - if I'm gonna eat the extra calories then I want them to fit my macros same as everything else I eat during the day.

Good luck, sure you'll get some great ideas :)
  • rosej31
    rosej31 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am in school myself at the age 44yrs old. At night, I have dinner before 8o'clock and 11pm I am in bed. In between those times I try to study as much as can and when I do study I try to have a fruit or go buy a good coffee (decafe) add alittle sweetner to the coffee or have tea with fruit maybe apple, you cut it into four pieces.

I find that going to bed early help me alot...
  • karmahead
    karmahead Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Student here too! And I'm totally guilty of snacking too. First question you have to ask is if you are actually hungry. If you're just stressed and want to NOM on anything, but not hungry, chew gum or drink tea. I also find stress toys actually helpful! You know, those squeezy kinds.

If you feel you are actually hungry, then popcorn, I guess, is good or maybe 10 almonds.

Celery is a good bite-vigourously-why-do-I-have-so-much-work food too.
  • WinwillLose
    Options
    Snack on protein not carbs, Some low fat ham, peppers and fat free cream cheese. The trick is to take 10 minutes for a break, prepare a snack then eat it away from your studies. You'll feel more satisfied, and ready to focus.