Could I lose 20 pounds by May?

Options
13»

Replies

• Luvs_Chocolate
    Luvs_Chocolate Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I lost 17 pounds in 2.5 months. I also have asthma and knee problems. My advice would be to join a gym so you're in a controlled environment (helps with my asthma, since I have mostly environmental allergies that trigger my Asthma) perhaps you're the same. I walk/speed-walk on the tread mill everyday for 45 to 60 mins and lift weights and I stay within my alotted calories each day. Good Luck
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    If you go balls to the wall with nutrition and exercise, you could lose 20 by Christmas. Just sayin. :)

No I couldn't. I'm not that overweight so it's going to be very slow :(
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    If you go balls to the wall with nutrition and exercise, you could lose 20 by Christmas. Just sayin. :)

Yea, I'm in this for a lifestyle change, not a quick fix. Hope the OP is too.

I am, totally! I don't want to lose it fast and have it all come back.
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    In April 2012 I was 5'2" and 50 years old and lost 25 pounds in less than 6 months by counting calories (1200) and walking. Since beginning I've gained strength and endurance and walked 2 5K's. So, yes, you can lose 20 pounds by May.

How long did you walk per day? How many days did you walk? Did you ever eat more than 1200 on exercise days?
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    Yes, I'm 5'3" and 47 and lost 20 lbs in a little less than 6 months this year. During the first 4 months, I was eating 1650 and exercising about like you. For the last 2 months, added 2 Spin classes a week, added some HIIT intervals on my Sunday walk, and upped my calories to 1850 and still lost. Try it until the first of the year, and if you are behind where you should be to get there, drop 100 calories. If you are ahead, you can add a few if you want.

Thank you! :D Does 1600 calories sound good for my exercise plan? :)
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    I am trying to lose the same amount of weight, but in a much shorter time frame! I have done it before, after my first baby, as soon as I started tracking and paying attention I lost 30 lbs in 3 months. Since baby #2 I have not had that kind of success, so I am embarking on a low-carb eating regimen and hoping for the best. I am confident you can do it. You are young and that is a great thing to have on your side!!

Thank you!!! How did you lose that much so fast though? I know I can't pull that off since I only have so little to lose. I'm only about 7 pounds "overweight" anyways. Good luck to you! :3

I did Weight Watchers - that was about 4 1/2 years ago, and it was awesome. Had I not become pregnant I have no doubt I would still be that size. But I am almost 40 now, and the weight gain from baby #2 just came at a bad time for my metabolism. I have been thinner than I am now (recent weight gain is due to another extremely stressful life event that changed my eating/sleep/exercie habits for several months), but never as effortlessly as when I was 34.

The new WW plan (PointsPlus) was just not working for me - I hated it. So I decided to get into MFP and see what else is out there. There are lots of approaches, and I feel that the low-carb lifestyle fits me well.

I too am in this for the long-haul, not a quick fix. But let's face it, getting the weight off as quickly as is healthy, and with the least amount of emotional turmoil is always the preferred outcome!!

Ah WW. Sounds like it's really successful for a lot of people. I hope you can reach this new goal, and soon! As long as it's healthy! :) Thank you for your advice! :D
  • Henrye4185
    Options
    You can do it. Just stay on track. I am failing b/c I cheat too much.
    Make sure you hold yourself accountable for what you put in your mouth and stay dedicated.
  • mikesa3
    mikesa3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes,If not, it will be close to 20 plus you will look great from strength training. I started at 144 in Feb and lost 14 lbs in 5 months by eating 1440 net calories plus most of my exercise calories (use heart monitor to have good count) Then I stalled for a couple months upped my net calories 1525 and lost 2 more lbs in the last month. I'm at 128 . Which weight wise is ok but my body fat was 40% when I started ,now about 32% so still have work to do. Take pictures to help see changes when the scale doesn't show them. Good luck. :)
    Nancy
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm 5'3" and 47 and lost 20 lbs in a little less than 6 months this year. During the first 4 months, I was eating 1650 and exercising about like you. For the last 2 months, added 2 Spin classes a week, added some HIIT intervals on my Sunday walk, and upped my calories to 1850 and still lost. Try it until the first of the year, and if you are behind where you should be to get there, drop 100 calories. If you are ahead, you can add a few if you want.

Thank you! :D Does 1600 calories sound good for my exercise plan? :)

Yes, 1600 sounds fine to start. Just do that and reevaluate in a couple of months. Feel free to send me a friend request or message if you want more details.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose 20lbs by May, you certainly can!!
    Anything that you tell yourself "I will..." means you can do it!!

Good luck, MFP is a great tool!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Here is another way to look at your calorie target - if you follow dan's roadmap your deficit and exercise calories are averaged in for the week and you only have one number to shoot for - you do not have to worry about eating back your exercise since it is built in to the calculation - makes meal planning and pre-logging a lot easier.
  • pac4lyfe
    Options
    Intense exercise isn't necessary to lose weight. I lost a majority of my weight walking.

Thanks for that info! That is really encouraging. Congrats on your tremendous weight loss!