Long, low intensity exercise casuses muscle LOSS??

Options
bjdw1
bjdw1 Posts: 140 Member
I must have misunderstood this. I read that doing low intensity exercise for long periods causes a hormone that wastes muscle tissue.

So, my question is, if I'm gonna be kayaking after work for 2 hours at a time 2 or three times a week and doing 6 to 8 hour sessions every second weekend, are my muscles actually going to SHRINK?

Or am I just being dumb?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're consuming enough protein I wouldn't worry about it - it's broscience.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I think this idea comes from the thought that if you have a big caloric deficit, you will lose body mass; if you aren't doing exercise that will stimulate the muscles like weightlifting, much of that loss will be muscle. So if you ONLY do low, low intensity exercise and you eat fewer calories than you burn, yes your muscles will shrink. Easily avoided if you continue to do some weight training and eat wisely (not a super low calorie crash diet where you try to lose many pounds per week).

But no, I have never seen any reputable source show that the low intensity exercise somehow causes your body to secrete some substance that eats up your muscle.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    It's anything but bro science. If you're only using type I muscle fibre for exercise and are in caloric deficit, the body will atrophy type II muscle fibre to equalize the caloric deficit.

Or are you trying to say that the skinny-fat phenomena talked about on here thousands of times isn't real?
  • bjdw1
    bjdw1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i'm on maintenance calories at the moment, and eat back all my exercise.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

It's not broscience at all.

But OP, don't worry about it. Your kayaking every other weekend doesn't come close to qualifying as the type of activity that is being talked about. You don't have to change a thing. Enjoy yourself because that sounds fun as chit
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    Anyone worrying about loss of lean muscle mass due to aerobic activity should read this:

https://physsportsmed.org/doi/10.3810/psm.2011.09.1933

Study population:

"Forty masters athletes (20 men and 20 women) were included in this study. Subjects were included if they were aged ≥ 40 years, trained for fitness and sports competitions ≥ 4 to 5 times per week, and did not have current sports-related injuries that limited their ability to compete in sports competitions. Many were age-group winners for their sport. The subjects were primarily composed of runners/track and field participants, bikers, and swimmers. "

Results:

"Per design, age was significantly different between groups. Although age groups did not differ in body weight, body mass index (BMI) tended to be higher in the group aged ≥ 70 years compared with the group aged 40 to 49 years. Those aged ≥ 70 years had a higher BF percentage and FM (Table 1). The LM was not significantly different across the age groups (P = 0.15) (Figure 2). Mid-thigh total muscle area was not different between age groups (P = 0.12). Quadriceps area was approximately 20% lower in the group aged ≥ 70 years compared with the groups aged 40 to 49 years and 50 to 59 years (P = 0.03). The SCAT and IMAT were not significantly different among groups (P = 0.41 and P = 0.31, respectively"
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's anything but bro science. If you're only using type I muscle fibre for exercise and are in caloric deficit, the body will atrophy type II muscle fibre to equalize the caloric deficit.

Or are you trying to say that the skinny-fat phenomena talked about on here thousands of times isn't real?

It's real, but like so many other things (starvation mode) talked about here ad nauseum, the occurence is wildly overstated.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    .... are you trying to say that the skinny-fat phenomena talked about on here thousands of times isn't real?

Skinny-fat is what people see when they have stripped out oll the excess bodyfat and have not done anything to maintain or increase muscle mass. The original poster does kayaking - I doubt very much that he will find a skinny-fat body under that excess fat.

It feels like there is a hysteria about lifting heavy at the moment like if we are not all pumping iron we will lose all our fat and find nothing but bones underneath!

There are LOADS of ways to maintain muscle mass without ever lifting a single bar or dumbbell. Your body is all the gymn you need and certainly your body in a kayak and working hard against water current.

Give me a river to swim in any day and you can keep your dumbbells. Each to their own.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Thank you BrianSharpe - at last a voice of reason cutting through all this "heavy lifting" bro-science.
  • TheJarv
    TheJarv Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    As long as your diet is in check (not crash-dieting), have some protein after your workouts and some complex (slow) carbs before you workout, then you'll be fine.

There's a big obsession with "negative calories" with working out on an empty stomach to burn fat.. while that sounds awesome, it just doesn't work that way. Muscle is MUCH more nutritionally dense than fat, so as a result it's going to be cannibalized for energy before fat.

Also, putting "bro" before anything invalidates your post lol
  • DavPul
    Options
    One of my favorite 4 things about this site is one "scientific" study shows one result and another "scientific" study produces a different result, and the posters promote they one that fits their belief as GOSPEL and the other study is reduced to "bro-science", whatever the **** that's supposed to be.

Scientific studies are like a ventriloquist's dummy. Any half brained research lab assistant can make them say whatever they want them to say. I feel like I'm the only one here that remembers that every respected "scientific" study *proved* that steriods had no effect in building muscle size, strength or endurance. It was all placebo effect and water retention. That was the science for 40 solid years, right up until you couldn't park your car outside any baseball field without fear that a 160 lb utility infielder was going to break your windshield with a moonshot.

I guess nobody remembers the that 99 researchers concluded that global warming was real but 2 researchers employed by the Fossil Fuel Industry *proved* that global warming was a myth?
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    ... "bro-science", whatever the **** that's supposed to be.

Here you go.

1. Broscience
    Broscience is the predominant brand of reasoning in bodybuilding circles where the anecdotal reports of jacked dudes are considered more credible than scientific research.

source:
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=broscience

You validated the definition of "broscience" with your rejection of scientific studies.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    Thank you BrianSharpe - at last a voice of reason cutting through all this "heavy lifting" bro-science.

Actually, I do agree with heavy lifting too. There are many paths to fitness as there are such a wide variety of goals.

What I do object to is the dogmatic promotion of the idea that there's only one true path.
  • DavPul
    Options
    ... "bro-science", whatever the **** that's supposed to be.

Here you go.

1. Broscience
    Broscience is the predominant brand of reasoning in bodybuilding circles where the anecdotal reports of jacked dudes are considered more credible than scientific research.

source:
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=broscience

You validated the definition of "broscience" with your rejection of scientific studies.

thanks bigguy! i'll make sure to have my daughter refer to the urban dictionary (whatever the fk that is) when her next term paper is due. keep doing what you do. pencil neck lab techs doing 6 week experiments on starving college students that self report will always have all the correct answers. good job, bro!