Food Prep Sunday

Options
Sunday is the day that I go to the grocery and cook all my meals for the week. I cut up veggies, bag everything into single portions and cook my main meals. This is key to my success. If I fail food preparation I FAIL during the week. Who else does a weekly food prep?

I would love some ideas of healthy foods or recipes. I am cooking up some spaghetti squash for sure but need at least another main meal!

Happy Sunday :)

Replies

• knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i have done this in the past intensely and to a lesser degree now. however, i only did it for lunch. then i realized that my time was worth more than the few extra bucks i would need to spend to make it easier. instead of cutting up two heads of lettuce and carrots for 5 salads for the week, i now use bagged salad and preshredded carrots. two handfuls of bagged salad, half a handful on shredded carrots and my lunch for the day is made in under a minute. i also used to bbq a weeks worth of chicken cutlets and cut them up on sunday for my salads too. then i found purdue shortcuts. kind of expensive, but worth the time of not bbq and cutting up all the chicken. now i think i am going back to bbqing fresh chicken since the shortcuts seem to have a lot of sodium.

all that said, i completely agree with being prepared. it is one of the keys to my success as well. it prevents me from buying lunch out, or grabbing something from fast food for dinner.

good luck to you.
  • shannonmci
    shannonmci Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I use Sundays to prepare all my weekly meals as well! I just get up earlier than everyone in the house as to not take time away from the family. I throw my chicken in the oven and cook it up. Portion it into individual steam bags with veggies and a little seasoning and you have lunches for the week. I also prep dinners on Sundays for the week. If a casserole is on the menu for a dinner, I mix it up on Sunday and store in the fridge. When I get home from the gym after work, I just pop it in the oven. Huge time saver. Also, when I do a casserole, I usually make a double batch and freeze half. Great way to have a dinner already made up for another time.
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I often bake a whole chicken for Sunday dinner, use that broth to start soup, pick the bones clean and then use that meat for salads at lunch during the week, and usually have leftovers for my husband to have a sandwich or two....and of course the soup is healthy because I put in lots of veggies and spinach, no salt etc.

If the chicken provides more than you can eat in a week, then after you pick if off the bones, package it and freeze the portions you might need next week for a week night meal.
  • Coffeeholic8
    Coffeeholic8 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's my Sunday. It's 3:30pm here and I'm more than half done. Music on, internet nearby for those slack minutes between chopping, cooking and waiting on stuff, nice cup of coffee, or two, and it's all good. Beef Stew in one pot and Hearty Chicken Barley and Root Vegetable Soup in another coming together nicely at the moment. Cooked off some chicken breasts, spiced and/or stuffed with various things, and made some home made hummus earlier. Turkey Bolognese next up.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Baked penne pasta is a good, easy dish. If you have a bit of extra carrots, throw it ina
  • Danam48
    Danam48 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I prep on the weekends. I usually grill a variety of fish and chicken and use a Food Saver to vacuum seal them and then use them in salads or slice up for a sandwich. I usually make a batch of quinoa to have on hand to mix in with some veggies for a side dish. Last week I used a pound of ground chicken to make meatballs and I made them really small, made some gravy with low fat chicken broth and then ate chicken and gravy over the quinoa. Throw in some broccoli and you have a easy dinner bowl. Soup is also a great thing to make for the week. There are some great recipes at skinnytaste.com. I totally agree about cooking for the whole week, it has been the biggest contributor to keeping me on track!
  • pamrwv
    pamrwv Posts: 1
    Options
    I am just getting started with fitness pal. I like your idea of cooking ahead. what dished do you make ahead? I appreciate the ideas! Thanks
  • RubySinclair
    RubySinclair Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I do this as well - mainly with veggies for salads so it's like having my own personal salad bar each morning. I just pick what looks good to me that day. Keeps me on track too. I have actually come to find all the washing and chopping and packaging kind of relaxing (gawd... I need a life!) I plan on getting a few spaghetti squash this week too - did you see the thread full of recipe ideas? Lots of good ones! I like the chicken idea someone above me posted - I think I'll do that more often!
  • Nimiko
    Nimiko Posts: 52
    Options
    I usually use Sundays for food prep also. Every third Sunday or so I do a huge pot of soup and put my servings into containers and freeze it. I make all of my own frozen grab and go last minute meals. So much better than any WW or Lean Cuisine meal out there! :wink:
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I plan to start doing food prep next Sunday!!!
  • januadiaboli
    januadiaboli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Me too ... on today's list are two kinds of muffins (oatmeal pumpkin and banana chocolate chip), packing bags of veggies for snacks, and getting things prepped for our two ultra-busy evenings (Monday and Thursday). Supper tomorrow is stir fry with noodles, so I'll cut up the veggies and cut & marinate the pork strips this afternoon. Thursday is chili for the adults and spaghetti for the kids, so I'll prep the base recipe this afternoon as well. I'll also be making a batch of gingersnaps for lunches, and will make a couple loaves of multigrain bread, as well.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I do this as well...one of my faves is a veggie/chicken "tortilla" soup. I make a huge batch and then eat it a few times throughout the week for lunches. I'll cook some rice and serve it over that to make it a bit heartier. Soups and stews are great to freeze for later as well.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll make chicken tenders, bake them, then put them in the freezer (on a cool, lined cookie sheet) and throw them in a ziplock bag when they're frozen. Freezing them individually prevents "brick of tenders". Then, throughout the week, I'll take some out, and put them in the toaster over (not an upright toaster) and heat them up. Sometimes, I'll keep half of them in the fridge, so that when we get peckish, we can take out a tender or two, depending on how hungry we are.
  • janettenellies
    janettenellies Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This is such a good idea! I am definitely going to start doing this :) very good way to keep on track.
  • vasilis85
    Options
    This is awsome I would like to start doing the same thing (very soon)....we are going to becoming new parents in a few weeks and I really believe organization is the key to....not losing your mind LOL.
  • Sammyj389
    Options
    Although I like to use Sundays as a food prep day, there are times when I'd rather just go out and have some fun! When I enter a work week without my Sunday prep advantage, here's what I rely on.

You can buy bags of individually frozen fish -- mahi mahi, haddock, salmon, etc. (Costco has great fish) I have a toaster oven and a microwave at work, so I take a single serving of frozen fish with me to work in the morning along with a baking potato and whatever veggie I might have in my fridge. About a hour before lunch, I put my potato in the toaster oven to bake. Then by the time it's nearly done, my fish is thawed and I slather on a bit of pesto (which I have made -- or you can buy) and bake that for about 20 minutes. I steam whatever veggie I have in the microwave. Voila! Lunch.

The people at work often laugh at my "healthy" lunch while they are eating gross hot dogs from the local corner store.

Here's a great easy snack. Cut a pear in half and take out the seeds. Fill the "cavity" with a hunk of Laughing Cow cheese and top with a few pecans or walnuts. Yummy!!!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Also, if you want to account for the little extra calories of the left over veggies going into a baked penne/chili, add it all up and throw it into the blender. A little extra tomato paste will get you back to the consistency you want. If you're freezing a pasta casserole, don't cook the noodles all the way, make them under-done.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    While I have not set day it is usually Saturday or Sunday (unless we are out of school for break). I teach and am usually no less than hour or two after the bell rings leaving. So for our family we find crockpot recipes are good choices 2 or 3 days a week that gives our family more time in the evening. We usually eat at 5:00 each night then as we clean up it we are doing a cp meal I get it ready while making the next days lunches. We have found that doing everything to prep for the next day before leaving the kitchen for the night works best for us.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Well, I do all the grocery shopping on Saturday, but I also use Sunday as a food prep day.

I don't need to cook my breakfast and my lunch is either from some restaurants with self service/cafeteria around work, either sandwiches made the night before (when I also go to uni that day).

But I have to prepare my dinners, because I get late home and don't have time. Also, having no choice, mostly gets me to bad choces.
    Sometimes I pack snacks also.

I don't prepare veggies (unless I cook them), making salads is a 5 minute job for me and I always want my veggies freshly cut if I eat them raw.
    I buy large bags of nuts and put them in 15-20 grams bags.
    I make dinners, usually some stew, or recipies like Turkey Chili Taco Soup (found it here on MFP), or hearty soups/sour soups. Meaning foods that fill you, that are loaded with veggies or bean, but also with some meat.
    Sometimes I make meatbals or stuffed chicken (I make 4-5 servings on Sunday, but we usually eat 2 of them that day), in which case I serve them with a big salad. If I return very late one evening I would only eat half of serving with salad.
  • GlutesthatSalute
    GlutesthatSalute Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash!! I always cook up chicken, tilapia and a big batch of green veggies so that I can just grab n go during the week. One of my go to meals is taco pasta salad.. it's super easy.. Just brown some extra lean groung turkey breast season like tacos, put over tricolored whole wheat pasta, mix a lil bit of low fat sour cream and salsa together for a topping, sprinkle w a lil bit of mexican cheese.. It's soooo good. You can also add some chopped onion and bellpeppers in the ground turkey mix to up your veggies w out much calories.. :happy:

Oh and I use the other half the ground turkey breast and make meatballs for my sphaghetti squash, just season w no sodium Mrs Dash italian seasoning!!

2 meals outta one pack of meat =)