How to even up muscle?

Options
Basically the right side of my body is more muscly than my left despite doing the same exercise and weights.

What is the best way to even it up? Do more reps on one side or something?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you continue progressively increasing the weight you can lift equally for both sides. It's very normal to have a large strength gap early on because of frequency of use of one side over the other. But as the weights get heavier, even your dominant side won't be used to the level and both sides should even up. I would definitely not do more work on one side than the other.
  • LadyL2012
    LadyL2012 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, it's mainly really noticeable on my arms.

So basically it'll even up the more weights I lift?
  • konigshaus
    Options
    use dumbells, and more reps with lagging body parts
  • solyhhit
    solyhhit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, it's mainly really noticeable on my arms.

So basically it'll even up the more weights I lift?

I have a feeling that the right arm of most guys is stronger than the left. Unless you're left handed...

...*whistles*
  • ninehours
    ninehours Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Same/Similar question asked on this YouTube channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JDnQDTZCbc&feature=g-u-u
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    use freeweights. weight machines allow a dominant side to do more work, freeweights or cables don't let you cheat.
  • LadyL2012
    LadyL2012 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have always used freeweights, so I'm a bit confused as to why it is so prominent.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This should also apply to hypertrophy and not just strength. Depending on your level of development none of this may be necessary but it's a good read:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/correcting-a-strength-imbalance-qa.html
  • embercakez
    Options
    bump to read later.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I have a feeling that the right arm of most guys is stronger than the left. Unless you're left handed...

...*whistles*

Mine isn't stronger. But it's a lot more defined
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    It's prominent because of all the muscle use that the dominant side gets that the other side doesn't. Every motion, weights or not, is muscle use. Brushing your hair, writing, turning a key, washing a dish, brushing a dog, using a can opener, brushing your teeth, opening a bottle, lifting a drink to your mouth. Most people subconsciously do these things with their dominant hand. Ten thousand things and they don't even think about it.

I'm ambidextrous, my muscle development is about equal.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Basically the right side of my body is more muscly than my left despite doing the same exercise and weights.

What is the best way to even it up? Do more reps on one side or something?

Are you certain your not just leaner on one side of your body than the there? My right side looks more defined then the left side of my body because of this but I don't necessarily have a strength or muscle imbalance.
  • solyhhit
    solyhhit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    This should also apply to hypertrophy and not just strength. Depending on your level of development none of this may be necessary but it's a good read:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/correcting-a-strength-imbalance-qa.html

Great article. I have imbalances on my body everwhere. Left arm is smaller than right (dominant hand), left calf is bigger than the right calf (basketball), and my right oblique is much weaker than my left (no idea).

I'm going to try these isolation methods, it seems to make sense.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    How much difference is there? Are you familiar with hemihypertrophy? It often goes undiagnosed if it is not obvious, but can affect the entire body or just one part. There may be differences in length or just in girth. Personally, I have quite pronounced hemihypertrophy, significant leg length difference, affects my eyes and internal organs as well as limbs, you can see it in my face if you are looking for it. Because of it, I have more and larger muscle fibers on my right than on my left, and this has always been an issue in any physical activity; yoga, weight training, swimming, etc. No matter how much training I do, my right will always be bigger, bulkier, and stronger than my left, because I simply have more muscle on that side.