wanna fitbit! Are they worth it?

Options

Replies

• kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have a question. I do a lot of strength training workouts during which I don't actually move much. Obviously the fitbit wouldn't be able to actually gauge the correct amount of calories burned from this, would it? So how would that work, would I be able to add the exercise onto MFP like normal and then the calories would work themselves out somehow? A bit confusing how it all works.

That is the one problem with Fitbit. I wear mine every day and it's great for any step based workout. It won't work for a weight workout because you're not moving. I do a HIIT workout and my Fitbit shows about 240 calories burned. I bought a Polar HRM and wear it in combination with my Fitbit during workouts and based on that, I'm burning about 500 calories. I hate to say you need both, but unless you can really get a good estimation of your calorie burn by looking it up on MFP, then you kind of need both. I'm not going to be happy with a 250 calorie error! As long as you enter your exercise start time/stop time and calories burned into MFP, it will sync with Fitbit so it's not double counting. You'll see your Fitbit numbers change as soon as it syncs with MFP.

Hope this helps!
  • mtlkate
    mtlkate Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I also lost mine and there are some of us who don't have extra room in our bras.
  • CDG1013
    CDG1013 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love mine! I use it to track my routine activity. When I work out, I use a heart rate monitor and log those calories based on that. It is hard to select the appropriate activity level to set my calories since 1/2 of my day (work) is sitting at a desk and the other 1/2 is taking care of my two little kids. So, I set my activity to "lightly active" and allow my fitbit to track activity and add calories to my goal as appropriate. Before I started doing this, I was ravenous all the time and couldn't figure out why. What I found is that I'm much more active in the second half of my day (burning an extra 1500- 2000 calories over the course of the evening) and need more calories. It's also quite motivational to see step count and calorie estimate grow through the day.

I would recommend waiting a few weeks though. An updated version (Fitbit One) is coming out that adds water resistance and bluetooth sync. For those with the ultra, I recommend not using the belt clip...just clip the device onto your pocket. It stays in place very well...less likely to fall off and get lost.
  • RemiLynn79
    RemiLynn79 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump-I'm checking on Amazon right now. I've never ordered anything on Amazon before though...
  • Kristiina67
    Kristiina67 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This is a bit off topic. I as well only sleep short periods of time according to FB. Maybe we actually sleep better, it just consideres that we wake up when we turn sides?
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have been very happy with mine. The sleep feature was the main reason and provided a lot of helpful information. As for measuring steps, it is very motivating! I have postponed sleep to get to the next level just to make sure I get there before midnight! It definitely has changed my life to include more exercise.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    what does it look like on MFP when it logs the "exercise"? Is it something you have to label manually or does it assign a label/title? For example: burned 250 calories doing __________.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    This is a bit off topic. I as well only sleep short periods of time according to FB. Maybe we actually sleep better, it just consideres that we wake up when we turn sides?

If it shows you moving around alot, that means you are not in deep sleep and you may want to consider a sleep study. My husband (who is not over weight) did one and found out he was waking up over 80 times a night and now wears a Cpap mask for sleep apnea. The difference it has made in his life has been amazing.
  • pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I wanted one, but I didn't want to buy one, so I waited for my birthday. It's been 2 weeks, and so far, I really like it! It's motivated me to move more than I would have, and push myself just a little further than I would have done on my own.

The sleep feature I could probably live without, often times I don't use it because I fall asleep where ever I am (for instance, on the couch) and I wake up after a few hours and drag myself to bed.
  • Kristiina67
    Kristiina67 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

If it shows you moving around alot, that means you are not in deep sleep and you may want to consider a sleep study. My husband (who is not over weight) did one and found out he was waking up over 80 times a night and now wears a Cpap mask for sleep apnea. The difference it has made in his life has been amazing.

I have been thinking about it because my husband says I stop breathing and then gasp for air...thanks!
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If you exercise along with DVD's like Leslie Sansone or work out on an Elliptical, will Fitbit calculate the calories burned?
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Bump-I'm checking on Amazon right now. I've never ordered anything on Amazon before though...

I almost always end up ordering anything/everything online from Amazon. Usually have cheapest prices, often offer free shipping. I have found most items arrive incredibly fast. On big items--like an elliptical--you can even buy extended warranties.
  • TaraTLC83
    TaraTLC83 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you mainly walk or run outside, then yes. If you do other stuff or work out indoors, you're better off with a HRM.
    I walk and run and that's pretty much all my exercise, I love my fitbit.
    For a good example, here's my stats. I keep everything public.

http://www.fitbit.com/user/236FKH

Holly, what type of fitbit do you have? Is it easy to synch with MFP or will I be doing a lot more work?
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options

I use Amazon all the time, great site.

I've just bought one (by accident, oops) on eBay for £56 inc postage. Guess I'm having one after all :-/
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    If you mainly walk or run outside, then yes. If you do other stuff or work out indoors, you're better off with a HRM.
    I walk and run and that's pretty much all my exercise, I love my fitbit.
    For a good example, here's my stats. I keep everything public.

http://www.fitbit.com/user/236FKH

Holly, what type of fitbit do you have? Is it easy to synch with MFP or will I be doing a lot more work?

I have the FitBit Ultra. It is literally no effort to synch with MFP. As soon as you've hooked it up (in the "tools" section on MFP) it starts sharing info between the two sites. It is important to follow the directions provided when you hook it all up, set MFP to "sedentary" etc.

FitBit does take a few days to get an accurate read on your activity and "learn" to calculate your goals. Mine was giving me weird numbers the first few days, but I've lost 7lbs since I got it, I love it.
  • determinedbutlazy
    Options
    If you exercise along with DVD's like Leslie Sansone or work out on an Elliptical, will Fitbit calculate the calories burned?

No. You enter those calories manually into MFP, along with the time you started and ended the activity. This information is then sent to the fitbit website and they adjust your activity for the day.
  • determinedbutlazy
    Options
    what does it look like on MFP when it logs the "exercise"? Is it something you have to label manually or does it assign a label/title? For example: burned 250 calories doing __________.

Take a look at my diary, it just says "fitbit adjustment" and then the calories.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Love mine, but it keeps getting damaged. Wait till the new ones are released. Yes they are great with sending me replacements, but I would rather get one that works for more that a few months.
    The difference is that the new ones are sweat resistant. Brilliant eh?
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Smurfette1987
    Smurfette1987 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

I use Amazon all the time, great site.

I've just bought one (by accident, oops) on eBay for £56 inc postage. Guess I'm having one after all :-/
    I was watching that one! :D so it was yooooouu