~ Slowly Proving The Doctor Wrong ~

Options
When I was first diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (sorry if my spelling is off) the doctors told me I might not lose weight. Normally what comes with it is that it's just HARDER, not IMPOSSIBLE to lose weight - or so I've heard. The doctors though, told me that it was impossible. Today I'm 11 pounds down & I finally saw 129 on my scale =)

Replies

• Yummamamma
    Yummamamma Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Doctors dont always know ALL! I cant believe they even said this!! way to go girl.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Yes! way to go!! I love hearing that!
    Doctors can be so discouraging sometimes. I had one that told me I needed to quit working and just enjoy the rest of my life after having a stroke. Whatever!!!
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Keep it up!
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    That's great!

Doctors don't know all, my great grandmas brother was sent home from the hospital to die when my dad was 4 years old. My dad is now in his early 40s and his great uncle is still kicking.
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    You go girl!! you show em!! :flowerforyou:
  • katie070563
    Options
    I work in health care....and I can't believe the crap that some Drs come out with!! A positive attitude is what gets you through.
    Iluvprettysho.....for someone so young, thank God you didn't listen to your Drs advice!! I've got PCOS, and I've now lost 32Ib...finally, but it is the positive attitude that has done it, as this just fuels the determination, along with the encouragement and support of my friends on here!
  • Sheirai
    Sheirai Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Losing weight may be harder for people with polycystic, but it is also especially beneficial for them. It's a shame that your doctor wasn't more encouraging. Kudos to you for your hard work and positive attitude, and for proving that it can be done. Keep up the good work!
  • APBTChampion
    APBTChampion Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    As a fellow PCOS sufferer, I know the sort of things you go through when it comes to losing weight. It's ridiculously difficult, but the end reward is AMAZING... Keep it up, you can do it!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    You've done an amazing job! Doctors told my grandmother that my mom would never feed herself, never walk, never dress herself... Why? Because it was the 50s and she was (is) visually impaired. They can save lives, and they can be amazing, but they're not always right.
  • got2tryagain
    Options
    You might want to find a Dr. who is a little more up to date on pcos. Great job on your success!
  • stargazer008
    Options
    It's always a great feeling when you prove someone wrong, right? It just gives you more motivation! Way to go!
  • abates14830
    abates14830 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. My Doctor actually told me that losing the weight can help correct a lot of the problems but it would be harder to do.
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    When I was first diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (sorry if my spelling is off) the doctors told me I might not lose weight. Normally what comes with it is that it's just HARDER, not IMPOSSIBLE to lose weight - or so I've heard. The doctors though, told me that it was impossible. Today I'm 11 pounds down & I finally saw 129 on my scale =)

That's truly amazing :) well done, I don't know you very well but you should be proud of yourself :)
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Now, that's weird. About two and half months ago, I learned I had the same thing. (After lossing 20 or more pounds.)

To say my doctor was shocked was an understatment. However, I am a ferm beleive that a doctor NEEDS to be on your side. If you don't like them go find a new one.

Though, YOU GO GIRL! Good job!
  • joshkilborn
    joshkilborn Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Time to find a better doctor! Great job!
  • xxMyWeighxx
    Options
    Thank you all VERY much :) I am proud of myself & yes, I do need to find a better doctor :)
  • momof3kiddos34
    Options
    Good for you!!! You can do this!
  • beccannes
    Options
    Good for you!!!!! Even though doctors are very knowledgeable they do not know everything. From what I have heard doctors have minimal training in nutrition. I think so often some people take their doctors word is the final answer, good for you for exploring it on your own and finding that it is not impossible.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Doctors don't know everything. They may think they do... but, they're not God. I'm so glad that you're proving them wrong. I have also have PCOS, and it's hard for me. But, so far, I've lost 12.3 pounds since September 4th.
  • FungusTrooper
    FungusTrooper Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    They told you you "might" not lose weight, AND that it was impossible? That's amazing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!