a whole pizza

Options
:embarassed: I' feel terrible. I do so good all day, then dinner hits and I throw it all out the window. I ate more caloriresin one sitting then I did all day. Why do I do this? I should eat better for lunch and not pig out during dinner. How do you guys contain and resist eating something you love and eat it porportionitly. I mess up every dinner. I've been miserable ever since I did that. Has this ever happened to anybody else or just me.

Replies

• ahipke
    ahipke Posts: 6
    Options
    :embarassed: I' feel terrible. I do so good all day, then dinner hits and I throw it all out the window. I ate more caloriresin one sitting then I did all day. Why do I do this? I should eat better for lunch and not pig out during dinner. How do you guys contain and resist eating something you love and eat it porportionitly. I mess up every dinner. I've been miserable ever since I did that. Has this ever happened to anybody else or just me.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Eating more of my calories earlier in the day really helped with that. I had pizza tonight too, and planned for it by having a good workout. But it's still hard when you eat super yummy food--I was only going to eat 3 pieces of pizza but had four; and now I'm having M&Ms too. So I'm over by about 400 still!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Oh, I just checked--only 296 over! Tomorrow's another day.
  • Olympia
    Olympia Posts: 10
    Options
    I fall victim to the dinner gorge from time to time. It depends on where I am in my cycle, and if I ate anything during lunch. Usually it's because I had nothing to eat all day but a cup of coffee. Take it as a learning experience. We've all been there so you're not alone. There are ways to cope. For me, it's making sure I'm not ravenous at the end of the day. I now make my own super loaded in protein, low fat, high fiber energy bars, and eat that for lunch if I simply don't have the time for real food (I keep them in the freezer so no perservatives needed and toss them in my purse in the morning). You can try counting to 10 between each bite during dinner. It'll slow you down. And if I'm not doing particularly well that day in terms of eating, then I'll make sure to go to the gym, and run off about 400-500 caleries. If I can't control my cravings, then I'm going to make myself work for it. Don't despair. Just learn about the way your body works, craves, and reacts, and then adapt. You can do it. Remember, a positive emotional state is also important to losing weight. I don't mean that we have to be bubbly, silly don't take anything serious. But I believe there are studies that show that high stress makes it more difficult for people to physically lose weight. Shed the stress, and learn from your mistakes. There's no use in feeling bad about the lapse. Let it guide you to redoubling your efforts, and perhaps figuring out why it's so difficult during dinner. You can do it.
  • ahipke
    ahipke Posts: 6
    Options
    that's for the support, i thought it was just me. Now that I think about it I was starving my dinner and before I new it, it was gone. I never eat that fast. I'll try that counting to 10 thing, sounds like a good tip, thanks again. I was a little depressed at that time to. I need to start walking in the morning for exercise. Thanks again
  • tamrajd
    tamrajd Posts: 86
    Options
    hello, just start a new day. sometimes if i know it's really going to be a good dinner nite, i log in my meal on mfp before i eat so my mind is already set on what i can have because i've already committed myself to the amounts. it just helps me control myself. have a nice day!!!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    :grumble: This is why treating yourself daily in a small way I dont mean some hugely caloric piece of cake, but say if chocolate is your thing have a piece a nice sdatisfying piece of GREAT quality dark chocolate. This way it calms cravings. If you deprive yourself, the binge will comne with a vengance. but its ok today(cause this is a day late) is another day!!!
  • pmd14
    pmd14 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I always overeat!!!!! Unless I am very and I mean very careful I am always over my calories for the day because one meal makes me so close to the day's amount.
    Examples:
    ate breakfast out - 900 calories
    burger king lunch - 750
    pizza hut - 1/2 pie 1000
    leftover 1/2 pie next day 1000
    5 beers, nachos, burger - 1500
    I could go on and on but it would make me hungry
    This food thing is hard!!!!!!!
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    What was it about the pizza you wanted?
    The cheese?
    The grease? Bread? Carbs? The no no factor?

If you can figure that out, maybe it will help you later. Was it that fact you were SO HUNGRY?? Did you want it all day?

Was everyone else eating it?

If pizza is your super downfall or something and you want it all day, try having the south beach pizzas on hand, or load up a tostinos pizzza with veggies, or make your own pizza, etc.

And yeah, do eat lunch! :)

It's okay -today is a new day. :heart:
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I always overeat!!!!! Unless I am very and I mean very careful I am always over my calories for the day because one meal makes me so close to the day's amount.
    Examples:
    ate breakfast out - 900 calories
    burger king lunch - 750
    pizza hut - 1/2 pie 1000
    leftover 1/2 pie next day 1000
    5 beers, nachos, burger - 1500
    I could go on and on but it would make me hungry
    This food thing is hard!!!!!!!

You should get one of those "eating out" guides if you must eat out.

And no no on the beer -- not because i'm the moral police, but because even light beers are loaded with calories! DOH! :: smack head ::
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Here are some tips:

Eat slowly - remember when your mom told you to chew every bite 20 times? She was right! It takes time for chemical signals to hit the brain and say "I'm full!" So the slower you eat, the more time the signals have to hit your brain. That way there's less of a disconnect between the time your stomach full and your brain says 'hey, i'm full, stop eating now.'

Sit down to eat - Its been shown that people who eat standing tend to eat more, and faster. Sit down at a table or a desk, or a couch. Why? I don't know - maybe it has to do with sitting and really looking at the food you have in front of you?

Order smaller portions - Does it matter if you eat a whole pizza if its a personal pizza?

Make your own food - Like the last tip, it doesn't matter if you can control the nutritional value of the pizza by making it yourself. I like to make tortilla pizzas with a bunch of veggies and fat free cheese. I can eat two and still be under 500 calories :)

Also - hungry girl has a GREAT set of eating out guides on the hg website!