doing the 30 day shred

Options
ive been doing the 30 day shred im on level 2 day 2 but i have managed to get an injury in my leg and i can just about walk on it so as you can imagine doing anything on the lower half of my body is difficult. has anyone else had a problem like this during the 30DS? If so did it affect your result?

Replies

• lulyuva
    lulyuva Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I sorry to hear about ur injury. Will like to know is this 30 day shred the jilliam michaels dvd
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    yea thats the one. ive seen great results but its frustrating that i have to stop doing it because of my leg i was just getting into level 2 :(
  • msteresao
    msteresao Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hurt my knee the 2nd week after started doing it !!!! Now I wear a knee brace and modify all that jumping around ( jog in place)
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I am still on level 1, day 5. I fee like I have slight pull or More just a strain in my backside. I took the weekend off and plan to start again level one on Monday. I did 20 minutes of yoga yesterday and plan on doing that again tonight the pain has subsided quite a bit and I think I can continue on Monday. I will add I did have a sore knee also on Friday but I think that has more to do with my shoes then with the exercise itself. I would rest up and not push it too much you don't want to make it worse hope you feel better soon
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I just finished doing the level 2 work out! now sipping on my protein shake:) I have had really great results with the shred-the secret is simple-just do it every day as she recommends. Its my go to dvd when i need to firm up.

Sorry about the injury-rest a few days, ice injury, and get back to it when you are ready!
  • jenniferjungenberg
    Options
    Make sure you are doing the lunges and squats correctly.. that's what will mess up your leg/knee. :)
  • DivaChickipoo
    DivaChickipoo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just started it today and I had knee surgery 2 weeks ago. The things I couldn't do, I just did as well as I could, slightly modified

I think that in the end it doesn't matter so much if you get off of the couch and hobble to the corner, or get off the couch and run to the corner...just so long as you get off of the couch!

Good luck and good healing!
  • sin485
    Options
    thanks for the tip i will try that! i hope missing a few days wont affect the results!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    ive been doing the 30 day shred im on level 2 day 2 but i have managed to get an injury in my leg and i can just about walk on it so as you can imagine doing anything on the lower half of my body is difficult. has anyone else had a problem like this during the 30DS? If so did it affect your result?

If you are struggling to walk, then 30ds is on hold. :frown: ... And if you have a regular doctor, then you might call the office and give your symptoms and see if the doctor wants to see the injury.

How frequent were your rest days? What was your level of fitness before beginning the program?

Honestly, injury is always a concern with a high impact program that includes strength training. Personally, I have tried to be very careful because it can set your fitness goals back for weeks. Jillian talks about it a lot in level one (like about doing smaller movements as a novice and I have been resting in between 30ds workouts. Also I have been reading up on strength training from a variety of other sources, especially regarding avoiding injury. Eventually, I want to be able to work with free weights, and I am using 30ds as a stepping stone until I can begin free weights.

I have not suffered anything beyond normal soreness that comes with training your muscles. I am only halfway through level one and have already lost an inch in my waist and hips. I have been monitoring the scale and watched my weight going up and down from water retention. I am enjoying it and doing well so far.

I'm sad to hear that you got injured. I hope it is just bad muscle strain and it gets better on its own. :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Make sure you are doing the lunges and squats correctly.. that's what will mess up your leg/knee. :)

^^ This too! It is more important to have the correct form in the beginning, even if you have to pause the video or whatever.
  • AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    Options
    im on the same day and had no problems this far.
    but i do a lot of modified versions because i have a little knee problems, and this level seems to be junping and jumping and jumping...
  • sin485
    Options

If you are struggling to walk, then 30ds is on hold. :frown: ... And if you have a regular doctor, then you might call the office and give your symptoms and see if the doctor wants to see the injury.

How frequent were your rest days? What was your level of fitness before beginning the program?

Honestly, injury is always a concern with a high impact program that includes strength training. Personally, I have tried to be very careful because it can set your fitness goals back for weeks. Jillian talks about it a lot in level one (like about doing smaller movements as a novice and I have been resting in between 30ds workouts. Also I have been reading up on strength training from a variety of other sources, especially regarding avoiding injury. Eventually, I want to be able to work with free weights, and I am using 30ds as a stepping stone until I can begin free weights.

I have not suffered anything beyond normal soreness that comes with training your muscles. I am only halfway through level one and have already lost an inch in my waist and hips. I have been monitoring the scale and watched my weight going up and down from water retention. I am enjoying it and doing well so far.

I'm sad to hear that you got injured. I hope it is just bad muscle strain and it gets better on its own. :flowerforyou:

thanks, i didnt take rest days because i thought you werent supposed to. i thought this was a bit iffy at first seeing as ive always been told to take at least one day off a week and let your body rest but i wanted to do it properly and it was only a 30ish minute workout
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

thanks, i didnt take rest days because i thought you werent supposed to. i thought this was a bit iffy at first seeing as ive always been told to take at least one day off a week and let your body rest but i wanted to do it properly and it was only a 30ish minute workout

Unfortunately, there are lots of people on the internet claiming that you aren't supposed to take rest days. But it's during the rest day that your muscles are able to heal from the exercise. If you don't let them heal, then you are missing out on letting your muscles become stronger. That is half the benefit of the workout, increasing your strength. Otherwise, it's simply a short cardio session, which isn't all that helpful.

I am new to exercising, since being fairly sedentary for a long time, so I am taking more rest days than a lot of people doing this program. I do 30DS on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, then the following week on Tuesday and Thursday, then the next week, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, again and so on. On those days, I work with all the intensity that I can bring to the exercise. Then on rest days, I just go for a walk and eat a bit less those days.

Most people are doing it the way Jillian recommends: two days of DS, one day of light cardio, then one rest day, and repeat. Take the time to let your body completely heal. If you are still having trouble after about 3 days of total rest, then you might seek out a doctor's advice.

But seriously, google "muscle repair" and "overtraining" and you will see what I mean about rest days. For straight cardio, you really only need one day a week, but most say that when your are training your muscles, don't train the same muscles two days in a row. People who lift weights tend to trade off muscle groups, or do a full body workout every other day. These rest days are *part* of the training. These are not "lazy days." You deliberately tear your muscle fibers, then you let them heal, then you tear them again. This is the process for gaining strength.

Let your body heal up completely. Then start 30DS again and incorporate days to rest, either every other day or every third day. You will find that the program will be much more productive, and you will be less likely to injure yourself.

Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:

EDIT: Also, make sure you are getting plenty of protein in your diet. Your muscles can't repair themselves without it. A general range is 50-70 grams per day as a *minimum*. I usually shoot for 100 grams, but some days I only get about 75 grams.
  • sin485
    Options
    oh right i read online that jillian said to do it every day thats why i was doing it every day. would show you the source but i cant remember it lol i was reading up about it and i googled it :p anyway thanks for the info i will take rest days when i start doing it again id rather take one day off than 10!