Turning 40 in 8 months (MAY)

Options
Hello! I am trying MFP again. I was on MFP awhile back and did pretty good, I lost 30 pounds but have gained 12 of them back. So now I am going to give this another shot. I will be turning 40 in May and that will be my goal date. I am shooting for 175 but most of all I just want to feel good in my own skin.

I work a job where my shift varies from day to day so making a food and gym schedule doesn't work for me. I have to make it fit where I can.

I would love some supportive people on here to give me tips and encouragement.

Thanks!

Replies

• jbalistriere
    jbalistriere Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Hi AuntieCB!!

Welcome back! It sounds like you and I are on a similiar journey! :) I joined in June to "get healthy" before my 30th birthday in May. Since June 4, I have lost 26 pounds and since August 4, I have lost 22.5 inches from my arms, thighs, hips, bust and waist. I also recently went to the doctor and my A1C (I'm a type 1 diabetic) and cholesterol were perfect (I've had cholesterol issues for years and haven't remembered to take my pills in months). I am someone who needs constant reassurance so the measurements help me to see what the scale/mirror doesn't always show me.

I am fortunate to have a gym at work so I utilize that after work when my kids don't have a million places to run to but when I worked sporadic hours, I joined the YMCA (that ended up being way too pricey for my tastes, though) and Snap Fitness. Snap worked out well because, at the time, it was affordable (now I think it's $50/month for joint membership and $30/month for single). Planet Fitness is also starting to pop up all over the place and has $10/month and $20/month plans (I'm trying to start a campaign to get one by my house so I can workout with my husband lol!). When the gym isn't an option, my husband and I will walk. It gives us time to connect without the kids and the walks aren't so bad when I have someone to talk to. My dog also loves that arrangement! :) To keep myself from getting bored or going crazy on the treadmill, I read. If I get caught up in a book and don't stare at the timer, it goes a lot better.

Another thing I've learned with sporadic hours is to plan my meals ahead of time and bring it with me. When you're on the run, you're more likely to eat something unhealthy. If I put my lunch/snack together ahead of time and it's just "grab and go", I'm more likely to stick with what I've made and not fall victim to the vending machine.

Good luck in your journey and ping me anytime!

-jdittloff
  • AuntieCB
    Options
    Awesome advice! I do belong to a gym I have been paying the member ship for the past year and in the past 3 months I have not stepped inside. :-( I put together a fitness contest at work so hopefully that will motivate me to get up and go even if it is at 4am.
  • goingmad
    Options
    Hi, I've added you too, just came back this week myself to try again. I turned 40 last Dec and always thought I'd be slimmer and fitter by 40 but no......I'm now trying to do it for 41!
  • Ruthann1971
    Ruthann1971 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I just joined here on the recomendation of a friend. I'm 41 and have been overweight or obese as the charts tell me since I was 38 and got sick. Now, it seems like no matter what I try I can't lose any weight. I've tried Weight Watchers and Curves but counting points didn't work for me and the hours that I work and the hours that Curves is open just didn't match my schedule. I drive school bus and motorcoach so I sit all day along with taking classes online which keeps me sitting again.

I know my biggest problem is motivation or in my case lack there of. I really do believe in the buddy program. I'm not looking to become super thin but I do need to lose weigh just to become a healthier person.

Can't wait to see where this journey leads and hopefully it's 50 lbs lighter!:happy: