Inspiration

Options
I need some inspiration. I went over my calorie goal by more than 300 calories last night and I feel like a failure. I feel like I'll never get this thing and I have a bit over 130 lbs to lose. I have, as of yesterday, lost 10 lbs in a few weeks. I would love some feedback for motivation. What motivates you? What is important to you for support? Thanks for your input :smile:

Replies

• GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to remember that even if you go over by 300 you will still be under your BMR. Therefore, you will still lose weight. Don't worry to much about the now and then. This is a journey and you will have ups and downs. The goal isn't to be perfect, but to get to the point where your good out weighs the bad.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Exactly what gypsy said... even going over by 300 calories you are still at a deficit, just a bit smaller one. You've made a great amount of progress already - 10 pounds is a huge accomplishment. Don't let a single day defeat you - this is a long road but you'll enjoy the rewards even if you have an occasional day where you go over.
  • am12341
    am12341 Posts: 23
    Options
    You can never "go over" your calories. Get out and burn the 300 you just ate and you're back to square one. You don't have to burn them all, but get out and move. You'll feel better emotionally and you'll release some endorphins along the way.
  • jeffreyjording
    jeffreyjording Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    300 calories one day is not going to sink the boat. Stick with the program, log all your food and exercise. My workouts usually give me an extra 800 to 1300 calories to eat.
  • teresa_c
    Options
    I agree with the other posters! There are going to be days that aren't perfect, just keep going. What good would giving up do except keep you farther from your goal for longer! I have quit trying more times than I can count in the past (because of bad days/weeks/months), and I finally realized that if I'd just kept TRYING to do what was I was successful at MOST of the time I would be closer to or for heaven's sake AT my goal by now. This time is going to be DIFFERENT because I'm just going to keep trying every day until I get there. Please don't get so discouraged that you give up. Just start fresh at your next meal or next chance to exercise and just keep doing what you've been doing so well to lose those 10 pounds - way to go!
  • teresa_c
    Options
    ooops didn't answer part of your post! - I joined MFP with my sister (I "friended" her) who lives all the way across the country and I can tell that this is going to connect us daily in a really cool way and I know that will motivate me!
    I made my diary public for friends to see and I know that will motivate me every day to make that diary look good :)
    Also, walking every day keeps me in a great frame of mind which really helps keep me away from emotional eating.
  • Andruzrc
    Options
    Don´t feel bad because you went 300cal more, it happens! And it doesn´t even affect you as badly as you think. I have felt the same way you do right now but when you realize that every day is different, you know you have the chance to do even better tomorrow! I can relate to you because in a few weeks I´ve lost 10Lbs and I´m not perfect, sometimes I get crazy with food but I try to not feel bad for it, I take responsibility of what I did and turn the situation around, I use that for later purposes, to try to motivate myself, to challenge myself because I know that little by little I can achieve amazing things! And so do you!!

Look what you have accomplished until now!! You can! :D
  • jparks341
    jparks341 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    They are all right about going over 300cals, no big thing unless you make it that. We go over and under all the time, it's a journey of adjustments. Logging everything helps to see where you can adjust to get a better daily outcome. You can always get those calories back with some exercise, walks or whatever gets your body moving. The main and important message is to stay focus and don't let little hiccups derail all your good work. Good luck.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Just keep going and moving is the key! I go over but i keep moving and it balances out!
  • DirtyStacks
    DirtyStacks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    300 cals? Go for a nice long walk! Exercise will cancel a multitude of sins. Drop this guilt and keep with your plan. We all have setbacks. We all fall down. Get back up with renewed determination!

www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dirtystacks
  • Bethaniey
    Options
    Yeah I agree with everyone, you can't beat yourself up. Im sure that EVERYONE has days like that now and then. I had one this week myself. Just move forward. The other thing I have found is that, every two weeks or once a month, schedule yourself a "free day". Now some take it to mean that you have a complete free for all, all day long. Not only is that not healthy, but it can seriously derail you. But if you know you have a scheduled day that you can satisfy a craving, you may be less inclined to "fall off the wagon" as some people put it. Besides, its absolutely unrealistic to think that you can never have something fattening.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Use the good work you are doing the rest of the time and the 10 lbs. you have already lost as your motivation. 300 calories is a drop in the bucket. If you didn't work them off last night, you can work them off today. And concentrate more on your weekly average than each day.
  • am12341
    am12341 Posts: 23
    Options
    Yeah I agree with everyone, you can't beat yourself up. Im sure that EVERYONE has days like that now and then. I had one this week myself. Just move forward. The other thing I have found is that, every two weeks or once a month, schedule yourself a "free day". Now some take it to mean that you have a complete free for all, all day long. Not only is that not healthy, but it can seriously derail you. But if you know you have a scheduled day that you can satisfy a craving, you may be less inclined to "fall off the wagon" as some people put it. Besides, its absolutely unrealistic to think that you can never have something fattening.

I've been at this for about five weeks and gave myself a free weekend over Thanksgiving. I found out all the crap I thought I was missing is just that...crap. None of it tasted good anymore. Except the wine. The wine is still fantastic.
  • cheekykiwi2
    Options
    tommorow is a new day...im a shocker for beating myself up about mistakes but thats okay i keep telling myself tommorow is a new day