Diabetic and need help

Options
Hello everyone. I'm on my second week of using myfitnesspal ap and so far its been a real eye opener. I thought i was doing better cutting down and exercising some but boy has logging it in every day and trying to stay under or just at daily goal of 1200 cal is hard. Diab dietians have me on 1500 so i'm ok to stay below that be really aiming for the 1200. My sugar levels have been off the charts ... literally so my insulin intake has had to be increased. Since doing so, i've put back on 20lbs of the 35lbs i lost 1st of the year and i'm sooo aggervated discouraged and upset. I need help!! I need encouragement!! I need support!! I'm at my wits end. Is there anybody out there that wants to be a fitness pen pal?
I do start a yoga class back this week and 4 days later still sore but i'm not giving up. Also have started walking again to walk in the Boo Run in Oct, Walk for Hope in Nov and Jingle bell run in Dec.
If anyone willing to give support, i promise to help support you in return. Give me a friend request.
Good luck to all of us!!

Replies

• jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic, but my mum is, and has also struggled to follow a low cal diet. It's REALLY hard, and potentially dangerous to go too low, so I'd suggest eating more but doing more fitness like walking or swimming or something. Not that I'm dr!

My brothers gym also has a special diabetic programme that they can give people, perhaps worth speaking to your dr to see if there's anything you can access locally?
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    If the doctor said to eat 1500 calories a day, I would aim for that and not the 1,200. It's not a sprint, and us diabetics have to be extra extra careful.

That being said, what has worked for me is watching my carb intake very carefully. This doesn't mean I'm in Atkins mode (Not bashing Atkins either!) I just had a piece of pizza yesterday and some mashed potatoes today. I try to keep them within 100-150 grams of carbs a day, and mostly from fruit since it's paired with fiber. Of course that works for me, so figuring out your target carb rate with your doctor will be very important. There are so many factors (Meds you take, A1C, cause of the diabetes (I found out obesity was my major cause and had to cut my meds (Metformin, glimipride) in half in only a month.)) that the best plan of action is to have a full panel of blood work, take a diabetes education class if you haven't already, and really find what works for you.

I'd be happy to be buddies and share the support, and I hope you don't find this post mean at all. It's just really important (Especially if you're insulin dependent) to get the important answers from your doctor. :) Also I've found that if I eat 1,200 calories a day my body just stops. Nothing comes off...I had to play around with calorie counts and found myself steadily loosing at 1700.

Try to keep your head up, you can do this! :)
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I do not have diabetes but I am following a lower-carb diet for hypoglycemia (basically a diabetes diet) and would love to be MFP friends. I agree that you should probably stick to the 1500 calorie diet, especially if you have quite a bit to lose.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My doctor called after I was diagnosis with a 1800 calorie diet but I had already stated a 1550 plan. I would say stick with what the doctor said until you know how your body reacts to it. Take a little time to learn how your body works. I actually took a month off work to do just that. This is not a race it will take time but you will get there. My blood sugar levels are in normal range now after having been diagnose in April 2012 so after my appointment tomorrow I'll see if I still need to be on the medication. Exercise also helps a lot.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Dear Ladybug being Diabetic and dieting is so hard. I have been officially diagnosed Diabetic for 2 years. My blood glucose was out of this world. Up around 600, I had all kinds of things going wrong with my body, couldn't believe some of them would be because of high blood sugars but they were. My doctor took me off pasta, rice, potatoes and bread, my sugars leveled out and I began to lose weight. I'm down 67 pounds and I'm officially off my meds. I continue to take my blood sugars and if I have more than 3 high readings I'm to get back on my meds right away. So changing your lifestyle is so important and should help level your blood sugars and help with weight loss. Please add me as a friend if you like and feel free to ask any questions you may have.
  • vicki9168
    vicki9168 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Morning, I'm also a diabetic (30 yrs) and I tend to concentrate more on my carbs than calories as I have enough problems managing that. I have never been a "good" diabetic but I am getting a whole lot better however my sugars are still out of whack. The Dr tells me I have to be perfect, wondering if he knows what that is. I'm not sure what calories I should be on but will find that out tomorrow when I go see a dietitian. I don't exercise a lot but started taking short walks a couple months back, not been on schedule lately as had visitors and been at home (yes had more time to exercise but haven't tsskk). I do believe I am losing weight slowly. I would be happy if I can keep myself motivated to lose 2kg per month so that it doesn't impact my insulin intake too much at a time.
    I don't have any contact with other people with diabetes, besides my Dad who has type 2, so please add me.
    Jerbear, that's fantastic news.