frugal fresh meal ideas?

Options
wordena
wordena Posts: 177 Member
I recently looked at my food bill for the last month. It was outrageously high. Needless say I've commited to lowering my food bill. However I really believe in making my food fresh and homemade. Any ideas for meals?

Replies

• berfy
    berfy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I could use some help in that department too. I've been making fresh bread & rolls, veggie burgers with lentils, and homemade tortillas (breakfast tacos are cheap).
  • countessvonfangbang
    Options
    This is counter intuitive but do you live near a Sunflower Market? (I think they're just a west coast thing) They're kinda like whole foods. I love going there because if you eat in season produce they have insane deals. I'll spend $20-$30 on produce that at a regular grocery store would have cost double the amount.

But careful it is easy to overspend walking around thinking "ooh I wanna try that" because they have a huge variety of stuff.

Otherwise just really try to eat only in season produce it's kinda sad in the winter to only eat oranges, carrots, and broccoli but it makes a difference in price.
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Definitely make the bulk of your fruits, veggies and meats what's "on sale" for the week. Then fill in with the the things that you really enjoy or are craving. Check the clearance section in the meat case, the meat is still good, it just needs to be frozen or cooked immediately. If something is at a really good price because of a sale, buy enough that it will last you awhile, that way you will not have to buy it again until it is at a good price point again. Try store brand stuff, most grocery chains have a super generic, really cheap line and a better tasting line that is a little more expensive but is still cheaper than "name brand". I buy a lot of store brand things they taste great for the most part and it saves me a little money. I spend a ridiculous amount of money every month to feed my family, but we eat well and I know that what we eat is contributing to our overall health and quality of life rather than detracting from it. Remember, even if you spend a little more than average, it is better to pay the grocer than to pay the doctor. :happy:

Oh and Sunflower (now Sprouts, I think?) is GREAT! Nice prices on produce, cheese, bulk goods and natural meats. If you have one, definitely try the chicken sausages. YUM! No filler in their meats, either.
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    No sunflower market or wholefoods near me. There is a small independent store near me. But the prices are ridiculous