Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Couch to 5K. Anyone tried?

My friend and I have recently begun the couch to 5K plan. Has anyone tried it and how does it work? I myself can run a mile already, however hard, but she cannot. To keep each other motivated we are doing this together. But I would love to see if it's worked for anyone else

Replies

• SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    When I started C25K I couldn't even run a mile. Now I can run 10!
    It's the best thing ever I love it! You do it 3 times a week and each time is about 30 mins but is eases you into it, It break it down into weeks and builds up your stamina starting you at walking/jogging and increasing to faster speeds for longer periods of time. Running is really something your body needs to "learn" to do, pace is very important! I always went out running at 100 percent but you just can't do that. Even now that I can run 10 miles if i tried to run even 3 miles at 100 percent I'd be exhausted...C25K is just a really great program, you can feel yourself getting better with each session but you build up slowly so you don't take on too much too fast.
    I think it's one of the best App's there is!
  • Awesome!! I have the schedule on my wall and mark off each day we complete. On off days I go and weightlift, but running is my passion! Before a ankle injury about 2 years ago I was running 3 miles in 40 minutes and felt great!! But after life issues I've lost it all and I'm hoping this is my ticket back into running! So glad to hear it's so worth it!
  • jeannelawrie
    jeannelawrie Posts: 53 Member
    It absolutely works! I couldn't run around the block much less a 5K and after just finishing the program this week I have been running 3 or 4 miles a day about 5 days a week. I HATED running, (I really can't stress the hated enough) and now I am genuinely enjoying it. Take your time with the program, repeat weeks if you need to and it will work for you and your friend.
  • Thanks so much, both of you. I'm thinking I'll be ok, luckily I've been running on and off for a bit so I still have some lungs, but nothing long distance. To have goals is great, and set times instead of just stopping when I was tired. My friend, who is already much thinner, just wants to get fit. I'm hoping we can kick some butt over the winter time and start some 5K's when it begins to warm up again in March
  • lucy0326
    lucy0326 Posts: 54 Member
    My sister and I just started this app and to be honest I cant even finish day one without pausing the app for a while around half way trough the workout :embarassed: hopefully by the time I finish the app I'll be able to run a little more without having to break out my inhaler.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 643 Member
    I'm on week 7 of the NHS C25K podcasts, starting week 8 on Monday. It's going really well for me and I've not had a problem completing the podcasts (up to 25 minutes of straight running now). I expect to start working towards 10K after this.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    I'm about half way through, so I can only say it works so far! :smile: There's a group forum here for C25k if you're interested: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    i was a 230lb couch potato. 18 months ago i started c25k. it was awesome. you just need to do what it says and stick with it. it doesn't get easier, but you do go further on the same effort. also, when i started i had to spend 2 weeks prior jogging for 30 secs and walking 2 mins because i wasn't able to run for a whole minute!
    now i'm 175lbs, and FWIW i've ran 5 or 6 half marathons and am running my 2nd full in 2 weeks. C25k was a great training plan. well, it worked for me.
    also, it may be worth your while putting C25k in the search box and read through the questions others have had about it before. good luck and happy running.
  • Aventuria
    Aventuria Posts: 151
    I am in the middle of week 4 and i LOVE IT! :love:

It's so much fun and although I only get to do the C25K twice a week (i'm doing other stuff as well, and I need one day off) it works!
    Can't wait for the moment where I actually can jog 5K! :happy:
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    I just completed it, and couldnt run to save my life! Im now starting the 10k program :-)
  • Jfrerichs
    Jfrerichs Posts: 32 Member
    I just started couch to 10k yesterday. I've always been an on again/off again runner and each time I get back into it I start to hard, get hurt (or burned out) and then quit again. I've done a couple 1/2 marathons, but couldn't actually run the whole thing - most of it though.
    I am really excited to try this. On off days I will do The Firm Express. Would love to have buddies along for the journey! Add me if you want!
    Julie
  • kathim429
    kathim429 Posts: 379 Member
    I haven't run since playing soccer in high school...many, many moons ago. I am on week 5...going to be doing day 3 today. My first 20 min. run. Never thought I would like it but I actually LOVE it!
  • WifedUpMartin
    WifedUpMartin Posts: 166 Member
    I just finished week 1 today and it's not so bad! I'm at 280 pounds so it's still a little tough for me but I can get through it without stopping. I might repeat the week 1 workout (jogging 1 minute walking 90 seconds) before I move onto week two because once I get half way through I struggle a little bit. I really love it though and can't wait to get further into the program! Hope you guys enjoy it!
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    I'm planning to start this week but I think I'm also going to add in a beginner week before I start with shorter runs and longer breaks because I think I'm going to struggle. I hate hate hate running, but I love the idea of the challenge.

Can I ask what kind of sports bras you all use? My biggest problem is that my boobs are all over the place and they start to hurt. I'm a 36G so a lot of sports bras don't go up to my size. At the moment I am using a wired t shirt bra with a generic sports bra over the top. In the past I have run in a shock-absorber swimsuit because that seemed to hold me down better than the bras! But it is worn out now.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    I started c25k on Thursday. I decided when I got a duplicate license that I was going to give myself 4 months to lose 20 lbs. 5 lbs a month shouldn't be too hard. I ran off and an on for a while now. Would get up to running a mile on a treadmill but road running was a different story. The first week has gone well for me so far. First day was tough running less than 1.97 miles. Day 2 week 1 was easier as I ran 2.3 miles in the neighborhood. Tomorrow I will be on d3w1 and I'm looking forward to beating my time from yesterday. I am hoping to start running 5k's or maybe 10k's in the spring.
  • meglash
    meglash Posts: 22
    I just did week 1 day 1 last night and I LOVE it so far!!! I want to be a runner so badly, and everyone seems to give this program great reviews for getting you there.
  • TheJarv
    TheJarv Posts: 30 Member
    Just did Day 2 last night, so far so good!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Tried, graduated, loved it - went from a base of well...60 seconds killing me to, to running 6 miles last weekend :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    I started it at 53 and just ran my PB in a 5K at 29:52! Yes it works!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    It is what it says if you are consistent. Before C25k, i could barely walk a block without huffing and puffing. After C25k, I can now run for half an hour before starting to get winded. I highly recommend it.

And it doesn't take any fancy equipment (but if you have a smart phone, there's an app for that). I just used a clock with a second hand. And the first few days, I didn't even do that, just counted in my head.