Beans Beans, the magical fruit?

Options
LivyJo
LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
I would love it if you shared w/ me your favorite bean recipes. I want to incorporate them more into my diet for their great protein and fiber content. Ones you use on a regular basis to accompany your favorite dinners. Hopefully that means they are yummy and simple. :bigsmile:

Thanks for any advice/ideas you have! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• joiebray
    joiebray Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I cook Navy Beans in a crock pot all day. Then, when I get home from work I saute zucinni, onions, garlic, chopped carrots, and turkey bacon. Last, I season it with spices my family likes and add atleast one can of chopped tomatoes. YUM YUM
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I actually had a fantastic chocolate dessert (brownie-type dessert) made primarily from black beans! I know it sounds bizarre, but it was good. My mom is sending me the recipe... when I get it from her, I'll post it here. :smile:

I use beans quite often - these probably aren't the most creative uses, but I like eating them by themselves with some salsa mixed in (mango salsa is my favorite). I also like mixing them with my salads to add some protein and fiber.
  • viliberty
    Options
    A little tip my nutritionist gave me to "ungas" beans. Soak beans overnight, drain, and put in plastic bags in the the freezer in the portions you will use. Take them out,. cook them, and presto! Gasless beans. If you are using tomatoes with the beans in a recipe, be sure the beans are soft before adding the tomatoes. Acid in the tomatoes will prevent the beans from getting tender.

This may sound odd. But my sister and I both eat bean sandwiches. Mashed (or refried) beans mixed with mayo. It may be an acquired taste...I don't know....we've eaten them since childhood. But then, we ate potato salad sandwiches, too. LOL
  • PinguimPraiero
    PinguimPraiero Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Beans are my staple food. Lu-vum.

For any bean, soak for between 8 and 10 hours in lots of filtered water. Then, ideal prep would be a slow cooker, but otherwise most beans will cook on the stove, pre-soaked, within 2 hours.

Black bean can be drained and stored in the fridge as a pretty salad topper. Actually, any bean (chickpea!) would do well on top of a salad! Beans for a salad I tend to take off the stove a bit sooner, keeping them al dente.

Speaking of salads, take kidney beans, green beans (cut about an inch long), and canneloni and toss in a large mixing bowl with finely chopped red onion, adding olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Very tender and munchable, ta-sshhhty, salad that keeps well for a few days.

I like to add a bunch of plum tomatoes (preferrably blanched and peeled) to a pot of kidney beans at the end. And you can add chopped and steamed carrots and/or potatoes, too. When I don't have the time or space! to cook those separately I just chop 'em up and add them into the last 20 minutes of simmering.

Lentils and other legumes (peas) are much easier to work with because they don't need to be soaked. Just boil them for about 30-40 minutes. With lentils, I like to make a soup, adding boiled potatoes, and seasoning with cumin and turmeric within the last 10 minutes or so. Blend it up and it rocks! Serve with bread for a complete meal.

Or, you can drain the lentils after seasoning with cumin and turmeric, adding tiny chopped (steamed or blanched) carrot for color and texture) and serve them as a hot dish, topped with caramelized onions.

Sorry, all, if this post is just TMI!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I enjoy beef and beans which is ground beef (or turkey) with pinto or black beans and some taco seasoning

I also eat tuna and lentils and mix in a little salad dressing for taste

I put beans in my turkey burgers. You can mash the beans and work them through the ground meat and season.

I love green beans seasoned with a little barbecue sauce.
  • mortgagemeg
    Options
    I start with a chopped onion, 2 stalks celery chopped, 1-2 yellow or red bell pepper diced and two chopped cloves of garlic in the bottom of my cast/enamel soup pot. I saute them in about a tblsp of olive oil. Once they are carmelized, I add lentils or soaked yellow split peas. I cover the lentils with low sodium, msg free chicken stock, so that the stock covers the lentils and goes up about 2 more inches in the pot. I add 2 bay leaves and I let that cook, covered on low for several hours or until the lentils are soft. I sometimes have to add more stock during cooking, so stir them occassionally and keep your eye on them. They should have some moisture in them when they are fully cooked so you have soup not just cooked lentils. I then add 2 tsp cayenne, 1 tsp black pepper, 2 tsp salt (or to taste,) 2 tsp paprika, and 1-2 tblsp curry powder. I also add 1 tsp of cumin seeds which I toast in a dry skillet and send through the food processor. This soup is warmly spicey and very satisfying.
  • OneMission
    OneMission Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    BUMP

I'd like to come back and try some of these recipes...thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • revmhm
    Options
    musical people... learn the culture of poetic beauty!
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    I use black beans in a brownie recipe that was shown on Dr. Oz. Some lady created the recipe and wrote a book on how she lost weight, so Dr. Oz had her on the show. All recipes on his site are healthy recipes and I tried a few of them. I'll post the link for the brownie recipe, it sounds really gross, but I swear they are actually pretty good. The recipe gives you a recipe for icing to put on top, but my family and I don't like the icing. It uses cream cheese and it taste too much like cream cheese to us, so we eliminate the cream cheese part of the icing and just use the melted semi sweet chocolate chips w/ a little of the agave as our icing and it taste delicious.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/kims-midnight-brownies-recipe
    ENJOY!
  • PinguimPraiero
    PinguimPraiero Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    P.s. Almost every time I make beans, and certainly whenever I make black or kidney bean, I add *sofrito* to season.

Making a load of it for storing is so worth the little effort every few months.

Take a bunch of coriander leaves, a large white onion and tons of garlic. Chop each up separately in a food processor and mix up. Stores in freezer for months. If you store it in a shallow tupperware, you can pretty much punch out a chunk of it each time you make beans. I then quickly sauteé a big frozen chunk of it in a pan to add it to any pot of beans I am making.
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Is it ok to use canned beans? I dont know about soaking them for hours before using them!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I usually use the quick cooking method. You boil beans for 2-3 minutes. Let them sit for an hour, then cook. Lentils don't have to be soaked and they cook a lot faster than other beans.

I'm sure canned beans are fine just watch the labels for additives like sodium and sugar etc.
    Is it ok to use canned beans? I dont know about soaking them for hours before using them!
  • luminousweb
    Options
    As a vegetarian, I absolutely LOVE beans!! One of my favorite recipes is super easy and actually from the Kraft Healthy Living website:

Black Bean and Tomato Pocket

* 1/3 cup black beans, drained, rinsed
    * 1 medium tomato, chopped
    * 1/2 avocado, cubed
    * 2 tablespoons KRAFT LIGHT DONE RIGHT! CATALINA Reduced Fat Dressing (I usually make my own French dressing just 'cause it doesn't have coloring additives.)
    * 1 whole wheat pita bread round, cut in half (I like to toast mine on a low setting)

* PLACE beans, tomatoes and avocado in a small bowl. Pour dressing over mixture; fold gently. Cut top from pita pocket, stuff mixture inside.

But otherwise, I adore white beans on my Italian-ish vegetable salads. And homemade hummus is always a treat. Also, some baked falafel is delicious with the hummus...hmm...and oh, I have a great vegetable stew recipe that rocks that stars some dark red kidney beans. :L...

I think it's time for lunch. ^_^

Edit: wait wait, before lunch I'll just say that lotsa canned beans have tons of sodium, so rinsing and draining them is always a good idea. You can find canned beans without added salt, but personally, I think beans really need at least a little salt while they're cooking. :P
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    One of my "go to" meals is 1 15 oz. can of black beans or approx. 2 cups of cooked beans, 1 cup of frozen or fresh corn niblets, 1 red pepper chopped and 1 onion chopped. I mix it all together in a frying pan and add a little salsa or spices and serve it in a tortilla or over rice.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Here's the black bean brownie/fudge recipe I mentioned earlier in the thread - it sounds weird, but I swear it's good!

BLACK BEAN FUDGE CAKES

Ingredients:
    Olive Oil Cooking Spray
    1 oz. dark organic chocolate (70% cocoa or greater)
    1 1/2 C soft-cooked black beans, rinsed and drained (My mom used canned beans, rinsed well - it worked fine)
    2 eggs
    1 egg white
    2 TBS olive oil
    1/4 heaped C unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 TSP baking powder
    1 TSP pure vanilla extract
    1/4 C unsweetened applesauce
    1/2 C raw organic honey
    1/4 to 1/2 C unsalted walnuts, chopped
    Instructions:
    ONE Preheat over to 350 deg.; mist 8 individual ramekins or one 8" square baking dish with cooking spray.
    TWO Melt dark chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat with 1 TBSP of water mixed in.
    THREE Combine melted chocolate, beans, eggs, egg white, oil, cocoa powder, baking powder, vanilla, applesauce and honey in a food processor; process until smooth. Stir in walnuts and pour mixture into prepared ramekins or baking dish.
    FOUR Bake in preheated oven until the tops are dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides, about 20 minutes for ramekins and 30 minutes for baking dish. Garnish each piece with a dollop of nonfat Greek-style yogurt, if desired.
    Nutrients per serving: Calories: 230, Total Fat: 12g, Sat. Fat: 2g, Carbs: 28g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 19g, Protein: 5g, Sodium: 120mg, Cholesterol: 45mg
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

When I use canned beans (which is rare except when making chili) I rinse the beans to reduce the sodium.

Soaking beans is really easy, you rinse the beans in a collander, picking out rocks or bad beans, put the beans in a container covered in water and place them in the fridge. I soak them overnight and they are ready to use the next day. Rinsing them periodically and also just before cooking reduces the gas producing effect, plus they also cook more quickly.

If you want soft beans, leave the lid on while cooking, if you prefer them a bit less soft, cook with the lid off.

hth :)
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    I usually use canned beans in my recipes, because I'm a bit lazy and don't want to deal with soaking them. Here is my favorite recipe:

White Bean Chili:
    2 cans of white beans drained, any variety (I like 1 can of regular white beans and 1 can of white kidney beans)
    1 pound of chicken or turkey (cubed chicken breast, ground chicken, or ground turkey)
    1 medium onion, ,chopped
    1-2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    1 4oz can of diced green chilis (or jalepenos if you like things spicy)
    1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
    1 tbs cumin (or more, if you like it!)
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 can of chicken broth
    1 lime

garnish:
    low fat sour cream
    chopped alvocado
    reduced fat montery jack cheese

To prepare:
    Saute meat with onion, bell pepper, and garlic until veges are just soft. Add 2 cans of drained and rinsed beans, chicken broth, chilis, cumin, lime juice, salt and pepper. Simmer on med-low for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and add cilantro. Garnish with sour cream, alvocado, and/or montery jack cheese.
  • estherguas
    estherguas Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I use northern beans..spinach, mushroom, onion, garlic, a little veggie or chicken broth some diced tomatoes , yellow squash, zucchini and shredded broccoli (you can use any kind of veggies you like) season with cumin, salt, pepper, mrs. dash (however you like to season) I saute the onion, mushroom, tomatoes and garlic first until the onions get translucent and he mushroom start to shrink then I add the zucchini , shredded broccoli and yellow squash and saute until the veggies are done but not over done..I then add the beans with a little of the liquid from the can along with the chicken broth stir well and cook on low for 20 minutes with a tight lid it's done when the broth has become a slightly thick sauce.. I portion this recipe into SIX 9.8 ounce portion 143 calorie meals it's soo good and soo filling and very low fat.

1 can Northern Beans 280 calories

1 can diced tomatoes 105 calories

1/2 cup swanson chicken broth 19 calories

1 medium onion, diced 44 calories

1/2 cup brocolli, shedded (brocolli slaw) you can get it at publix in the bag salad section. 27 calories

2 cloves garlic, minced 9 calories

1 medium zucchini, diced 31 calories

1 medium yellow squash, diced 31 calories

1 cup fresh spinach 10 calories

1 cup mushrooms, sliced 15 calories
  • JLeible
    JLeible Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've told everyone I know about this recipe and EVERYONE loves it! Delicious healthy dish!

Bean Corn Avocado Salad

Ingredients
    * Beans, black, , 1 can
    * Yellow Sweet Corn, Canned, 1 can
    * Red Ripe Tomatoes, 3 medium
    * Onions, raw, .5 cup, chopped
    * Avocados, Florida, 2 fruit
    * Lime Juice, (1-2 limes)
    * Cilantro, raw, 4 tbsp

Directions
    Drain beans and corn, mix. Add finely chopped onion, chunky tomato and cubes of avocado. Season with lime juice, olive oil and fresh cilantro finely chopped. Mix well, salt and pepper to taste.
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks!