Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

yogurt

What is the difference between plain yogurt and greek yogurt. i see alot of people on here eating greek yogurt, but what are the benifits of it over regular yogurt????

Replies

• am12341
    am12341 Posts: 23
    Protein and fiber! Plus the 0% is so rich and creamy, nothing like 0% regular yogurt. I still go for the vanilla though, I'm a little afraid to try plain.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    I've never tried Greek yogurt but my daughter ate it one day. I know I won't ever eat it because I couldn't stand the smell of it. It's not a bad smell but it didn't appeal to me. In fact it turned my stomach. LOL.
  • kellyirisheyes
    kellyirisheyes Posts: 137 Member
    plain greek yogurt is amazing. some people find the texture too thick and the taste a bit too sour.
    many people think it's an acquired taste.

I usually sweeten mine with a bit of stevia or mix it with protein powder.
    just stay away from the ones with loads of sugar :)
  • laurah33085
    laurah33085 Posts: 1 Member
    I love greek yogurt. You can actually cook with it too. You can use plain greek yogurt to replace sour cream, ive made homemade alfredo with it....so many options!
    Heres a starter link for you :)http://www.ivillage.com/10-ways-use-greek-yogurt/3-a-375925
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Protein and fiber! Plus the 0% is so rich and creamy, nothing like 0% regular yogurt. I still go for the vanilla though, I'm a little afraid to try plain.

....which I rectify by adding three tablespoons of hemp seeds... For me, Greek yogurt is too pricey. I still haven't been able to justify the cost of it to even find out what it tastes like. :laugh:
  • am12341

....which I rectify by adding three tablespoons of hemp seeds... For me, Greek yogurt is too pricey. I still haven't been able to justify the cost of it to even find out what it tastes like. :laugh:

Lol, I add hemp hearts to my greek yogurt too. I'm never brand or store loyal. I go where the sales are.
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Apparently Greek yoghurt has twice as many probiotics as normal yoghurt. Taste wise it's thicker too, I love it, makes me feel better when I eat it too. :)
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    plain greek yogurt is amazing. some people find the texture too thick and the taste a bit too sour.
    many people think it's an acquired taste.

I usually sweeten mine with a bit of stevia or mix it with protein powder.
    just stay away from the ones with loads of sugar :)

This. I need not say more.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member

Why would Greek yogurt contain more fiber (or any) than regular yogurt? Dairy products are not a good source of fiber unless it's been added.
  • am12341
    I compared labels, it was like 1g vs 0g. Every little bit counts.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

Lol, I add hemp hearts to my greek yogurt too. I'm never brand or store loyal. I go where the sales are.

I have yet to see it for less than $4 when the same size regular, plain yogurt is just barely over a dollar. I will keep looking. Or maybe one of these days, I will open my wallet wide enough for Abe Lincoln to blink. :laugh:
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    At my grocery store it plain nonfat greek yogurt is about .13/lb and the regular is .06. It has lower sugar and much higher protein as the whey is filtered from the yogurt, basically making it more concentrated.

I decided to bite the bullet and start buying it in a effort to get my macros in proper balance. I have noticed better loss and muscle gain this way.