Runners:Calf Pain

Options
Hi Runners,
So I'm experiencing some mild calf pain when I run longer distances. I've done some research, and I think it's a grade 1 strain. The recovery call for two weeks to heal, but I have a half marathon next Sunday morning. Anybody else dealt with something like this? I really want to do the half (I paid and trained for it), and then I plan to rest it. Advice on getting through this?

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I would not train at all the whole week. Just rest it. Wrap it with a compression bandage. Keep it elevated when you can. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Are you sure about the strain? I'd get it checked.

I used to have shin and calf pain until I realized my protein intake was too low. Everyone is different, but I get 150+ a day and have no more pain from running or lifting.
  • daved71
    daved71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This is funny, my wife just strained her calf this morning and we are running our first half next weekend also. I will need to follow this thread for her. I did tell her that we could walk the half and I would be fine with that.

Dave
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I guess the good news is that this is your taper week so I'd suggest rest it as much as possible, ice it several times per day, try to keep your leg elevated when sitting or lying down and compression (wrap the affected calf).

There's nothing you're going to do this week that will improve your fitness for the race so keep the runs short and slow.

Good luck with your race.
  • angiek941
    angiek941 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I just wrapped it and elevated it. I'm crossing my fingers that I make it through on Sunday.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Calf not shin?

Do you have a rolling pin? It helps after runs. In the mean time RICE! Add some traumeel. Good luck!
  • bankmd
    bankmd Posts: 20
    Options
    You might alternate train this week (elliptical, stationary bike, etc.) and see if it calms down. Ice and elevation through the week. If you can see a sports med doc, that is the best way to know what is going on. You can try compression socks for the race. I use them in half marathons because I run faster than my long runs, and want to make sure my calves can take the extra stress. If you are in the race, and really in pain, don't continue. There are plenty of races, and 13.1 is a tough enough distance that you really want to do it healthy, not injured. It's not worth risking being out for a prolonged time after the race. (I injured my achilles as a result of over-stressed calves after a Half a few years ago, and could not run for months).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You might alternate train this week (elliptical, stationary bike, etc.) and see if it calms down. Ice and elevation through the week. If you can see a sports med doc, that is the best way to know what is going on. You can try compression socks for the race. I use them in half marathons because I run faster than my long runs, and want to make sure my calves can take the extra stress. If you are in the race, and really in pain, don't continue. There are plenty of races, and 13.1 is a tough enough distance that you really want to do it healthy, not injured. It's not worth risking being out for a prolonged time after the race. (I injured my achilles as a result of over-stressed calves after a Half a few years ago, and could not run for months).
    Compression socks are a great idea!