has anyone out there tried rice or coconut milk?

Options
i am trying to find an alternative for cow's milk since it seems to be breaking me out all of time. i have tried almond milk but it is too thick. have you tried rice milk or coconut milk? what is the consistency - is it thick like almond milk or thin like cows milk? is it good? what does it taste like? thanks for all of your replies

Replies

• ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I really like rice milk - The consistency is about the same as skim milk. The only thing I would not suggest is adding it to coffee (if you typically drink your coffee with cream) it is awful in coffee. It is awesome in everything else!
  • SeekingOne54
    SeekingOne54 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi! I absolutely love coconut milk and have been drinking it for about a year now. Like you, I have problems with dairy, too. I especially like SoDelicious brand. Yes, it's a little thicker than cow's milk, but it's so good I don't think you will mind the different texture. Perhaps start with the vanilla flavored.

You are doing so well with your weight loss! Great job, keep it up :)

Blessings,
    Deborah
  • gkulok
    gkulok Posts: 1
    Options
    they're both delicious!!!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Love coconut milk - it is definitely a bit thicker than cows milk, but so good for you!! I don't have issues with dairy, but love using it in my protein shakes, and curries, soup etc to make it "creamier"
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I've tried both. I liked the initial flavour of the vanilla rice milk I tried, but it made my stomach do funny things. I think it's quite hard to digest, because I do not at all have a sensitive stomach. Coconut milk is great, and there's chocolate flavoured coconut milk out there, as well as coconut milk "ice cream" products that have waaay fewer calories than actual ice cream. Coconut water is yummy, too. Especially the kind with mango or pineapple juice in it.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's the brand you used but I don't think Almond milk is thick at all. I buy Silk's unsweetened almond milk.

I haven't had plain coconut milk, just the coconut/almond blend. The taste should be good, but check your nutrition facts. The reason I don't buy coconut is because it doesn't have much calcium (only ~10% if I remember correctly).
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I cook with coconut milk and it is really thick. I wouldn't drink it as a beverage personally.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to casein and whey proteins so when I found coconut milk it was a GODSEND! I use Silk Original Coconut Milk. Don't let the fat content bother you. It contains medium-chain fatty acids (MFAs) which are actually beneficial for weight loss. I've been drinking 10 oz every day with my Shakeology for the past few months and my BF% has gone DOWN. Google "benefits of drinking coconut milk and oil" to find out all the benefits. And it's WAY better than soy or rice or almond milk! LOOOOVE it!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I tried both and sad to say I liked neither. Have you tried the almond breeze vanilla one yet? It's a little thicker then milk but not by much. Makes a great smoothie.
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of rice milk as it's got added oil. If you're into that sort of thing, i guess it's fine. I really didn't like the taste at all.
    I, too, break out (in zits I'm assuming you're saying) with high-fat cows milk things. Does nonfat milk do this to you?

I've tried coconut milk in small quantities and i just "feel" like it's too fattening.
    Have you tried unsweetened soy milk? What about unsweetened almond milk? Goats milk, I have not tried, but I looooove goat cheese and I never break out from that.
  • adealfornow
    Options
    I like using rice or coconut milk for cooking and baking. I really like using the coconut milk in smoothies because it gives it a tropical flavor to them. I am not fond of drinking the coconut milk on it's own. Plain rice milk is pretty good in cereal as long as it's cold.
  • JenMcCrory
    JenMcCrory Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Definitely try a different brand of Almond milk I use So Good and it's not thick at all in fact I find it a slight bit watery.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I mostly use Silk almond milk. I tried Silk coconut milk, but while it is ok in cooking or for smoothies, I found it too thick and heavy, and not a very good flavor for cereal or drinking.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    coconut milk is too distinct in flavor to just chug...its better when cooked in dishes...Rice milk is really watery and tasteless....not a fan.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    i am trying to find an alternative for cow's milk since it seems to be breaking me out all of time. i have tried almond milk but it is too thick. have you tried rice milk or coconut milk? what is the consistency - is it thick like almond milk or thin like cows milk? is it good? what does it taste like? thanks for all of your replies

Rice is nice and thin. Maybe its the brand of almond milk or check the expiration date. They also sell light almond molk (60 cal a serving) . Light Organic Soymilk is great. Just peruse the milk section at Whole Foods (near the cereal) I heard Hemp milk is great!
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    The consistency of coconut milk is thicker than the one of almond milk. I love cooking with it.
  • annie660
    Options
    I love coconut milk. It is very good in shakes.:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think it's disgusting. I also think that coconut water is gross. I am just not a fan of coconuts.
  • iyabean
    iyabean Posts: 30
    Options
    If you don't have a nut allergy, I'd recommend almond milk. So good.
  • SIMONERENEEPINKSPARKLEQUEEN65
    Options
    ive tried both in fact I keep both in the fridge I like to switch up :drinker: