Healthy fats

Options
I'm still relatively new to this. Been logging 30+ days. Finding what I'm over in (lots of protein and sugar), working on portion size and being under in calories. (Doing it "baby-steps" style so it sticks.)

My main question:
I know fat is filling and good for you if you make good choices. My diet is apparently very low in fat. I'm not even hitting half way from the maximum grams. Besides avocados, nuts and oily fish, what are some other tasty ideas?

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    hemp seeds have the best ratio of Omega 3 and Omega 6
  • Leeny01
    Leeny01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Good quality hummus is a good one. I know you mentioned avocados but I've loved eating them as guacamole because avocados can just get boring. Wholly Guacamole makes a great one, they sell them in 100 calorie vacuum packs which is great. I like to add seeds to things (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, flax, chia) like salads, or even sprinkling them on stirfrys once they're done cooking. It's easier to do than you think if you're intentional about it and much more pleasant if you just include it in your food.

Some examples:
    -Putting flaxseed oil in a smoothie
    -Apple and nut butter snack
    -Olive oil or seeds on your salad
    -Hummus or guacamole with cut up crudites

Hope this helps!!!
  • kellyirisheyes
    kellyirisheyes Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I also eat a diet very low in fat. I've been getting mine from lean meat like chicken, turkey, and bison.
    I also will eat low fat dairy like 1% cottage cheese and whole eggs.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Full or low fat dairy is fine if you don't go crazy as long as you aren't dairy sensitive. I use coconut oil for frying, sautéing and as a butter substitute, but butter isn't horrible as long as it's in moderation either. Lean meats are fine. I put avocado on my salads and use olive oil and vinegar for salad dressing.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I have a digestive disorder that limits the amount of fat I can eat (my liver can't process it very well) so I have a hard time getting my healthy fats in. I have to spread them out in small amounts throughout the day or I get so sick! :sick: I get most of my fat from non-animal sources (animal fat seems to be the worst for me) so I have to eat lean chicken and turkey or fish in small amounts. My main fat sources seem to be nuts/nut butters, almond milk, and olive oil.
  • rndmbttn
    rndmbttn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm digging this list. (Don't get me wrong, I love me some avocados too!)
    For sure going to try some new seeds (I eat a lot of yogurt), experiment with different nut butters, Different oils sound exciting but gotta work them into my food budget.
    And thanks Leeny01!! I completely spaced hummus! I haven't had hummus in forever! I love that goo!
  • rndmbttn
    rndmbttn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Did some research and came up with olives too.

I could have JUST done the research, but then I wouldn't be talking to new people. ;-)
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Butter
  • Leeny01
    Leeny01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have a digestive disorder that limits the amount of fat I can eat (my liver can't process it very well) so I have a hard time getting my healthy fats in. I have to spread them out in small amounts throughout the day or I get so sick! :sick: I get most of my fat from non-animal sources (animal fat seems to be the worst for me) so I have to eat lean chicken and turkey or fish in small amounts. My main fat sources seem to be nuts/nut butters, almond milk, and olive oil.

If you haven't already, you may want to ask your doctor about using milk thistle. I swear by it. It's like a big old present for your liver! It has a lot of benefits and I take it in a little water from a tincture, in the morning and at night. I use a milk thistle complex that has other things like burdock, peppermint, dandelion, etc. I just started using it again but when I was consistent, I saw a big difference in my health and I even lost weight. Look into it if you haven't, it may really be able to help you! :)
  • bankmd
    bankmd Posts: 20
    Options
    Coconut oil, coconut milk, MCT oil. I used to eat very low fat, but not any more. One needs fat to absorb some micronutrients. I would speculate that lack of dietary fat contributes to depression because my mood has improved so much since I added fat to my diet.